Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
White balance question
Old 01-25-2008, 11:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55764
Comments: 0
My Mood:

BenE is offline IP: 216.167.157.165

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Before I started shooting raw (OK, I was late in doing so, and a hard head), I used custom white balance because I have so many outside areas I use. Even at that I had trouble at times getting it correct.

Now comes my question. Everything I shoot now is raw, and the last time I set the custom white balance, it was for indoor. I don't even bother with setting it anymore, and I have great color whether indoor or out. I only have to tweak it a very little. I am very color critical, by the way.

I have been told that I still need to set the white balance, but does that matter when shooting raw?

Camera is Canon D60.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE

Re: White balance question
Old 01-25-2008, 12:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.113.233

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenE View Post
Before I started shooting raw (OK, I was late in doing so, and a hard head), I used custom white balance because I have so many outside areas I use. Even at that I had trouble at times getting it correct.

Now comes my question. Everything I shoot now is raw, and the last time I set the custom white balance, it was for indoor. I don't even bother with setting it anymore, and I have great color whether indoor or out. I only have to tweak it a very little. I am very color critical, by the way.

I have been told that I still need to set the white balance, but does that matter when shooting raw?

Camera is Canon D60.
Several reasons to set the WB correctly. The biggest, is that the LCD preview is based on the WB you set in the camera. So if you want a fairly accurate preview, set a reasonable WB (but set the brightness of your LCD to lower than the default setting). The other reason is that embedded in each RAW image is a JPG preview of about 1500x1000. This preview uses the WB set in the camera as well as the other parameters. Since these previews can be used for quick previews later, or for slide shows during events (they need no RAW processing), it makes sense to get them fairly close to correct. Finally, when doing your RAW processing, you don't have to set the WB at that point, since it will already be correct (or close). That means the data that would be "eaten" up by a WB shift, can be used for other corrections or enhancements.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 01-25-2008, 12:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

My Mood:

Thanks R Fredrick,

Here is a sample that is mostly self explanatory. I did not change anything on the raw images. The previews would look exactly like this. No color or contrast changes. As you can see the colors and density are very close.

I kept the custom white balance on the last one I made, and the camera was on manual for exposure. I guess I am saying that the exposure is good originally. I am not sure how the colors will show up on a monitor, because I have not made any adjustments for that. The color and density on these is just about what I would send to my lab.

Had I shot the outdoor on jpg I am certain it would be very blue, because that is the nature of outdoor in the shade.

Left was made Jan 1 of this year. The right was Aug 28 of last year.

This was the reason for my question. I cannot tell much difference in these even though there is a big difference in the locations, etc.

View Public Profile Send a private message to BenE Visit BenE's homepage! Find More Posts by BenE

Old 01-25-2008, 01:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45340

PhotosbyChuck is offline IP: 68.77.20.84

We can't really tell if the skin tones are accurate. To me, the left image has more red in it -- but then, that may just be a natural difference in the skin or environment that increased the red.

Studio lights are typically about the same color temperature as sunlight. While "subdued" light from an overcast sky is a bit cooler, it's not much off of full sunlight. So, these shots should end up with similar coloration with the same white balance setting.

I find that custom white balance is most useful for creative shots -- but in environments where light is mixed, it does reduce the hassle later.
  View Public Profile Visit PhotosbyChuck's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosbyChuck

Old 01-25-2008, 01:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotosbyChuck View Post
We can't really tell if the skin tones are accurate. To me, the left image has more red in it -- but then, that may just be a natural difference in the skin or environment that increased the red.
I replaced the image with one (still no corrections on color or density) where I pasted a patch of skin from the left to the one on the right. I am just saying that under such totally different conditions this is very close.

I realize the balance on outdoor and strobe is close, but in the past when I would move from inside to outside and shoot jpg test images with no custom white balance, the outdoor shots were very blue.