Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
California Sunbounce questions
Old 01-20-2008, 11:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39821
Comments: 1

brother7 is offline IP: 75.7.17.17

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'm thinking about getting a California Sunbounce for outdoor glamour, mostly beach glamour. Have a few questions.

1. For beach glamour, I like the golden skin tones. The starter kit comes with a silver/white screen. Should I change to a gold/white or zebra/white screen instead? (I'm leaning towards zebra/white.)
2. Any opinions on the Sun-Swatter?
3. What's the best place to buy via mail-order?

Right now, I'm leaning towards getting a 4'x6' FRAME + Zebra/White SCREEN ($387) and PRO SUN-SWATTER Super Saver Starter Kit ($642).
The prices are from the California Sunbounce USA website. Samy's prices are $352 and $590.

Thanks in advance.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to brother7 Visit brother7's homepage! Find More Posts by brother7

Re: California Sunbounce questions
Old 01-21-2008, 12:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406
Comments: 0

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.255.74.148

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Lotta views... no replies... okay, I'll get myself in trouble AGAIN...

I don't have the California Sunbounce system, but I do use reflectors. Here's my 2 cents worth.

I use a Z-striped gold/silver reflector (30 by 70 inches) for studio shots. It adds a little warmth, but not so much that you really notice it. I've been burned by all gold reflectors making images way too warm, so I tend to stay away from them.

No opinion on the Sun-Swatter. Never used one.

Mail order... I'm in the midwest. I usually look for at/order from B&H. I've never had a problem with them.

I've also bought from Tallyns in Peoria, but lately they've been adding what I consider unreasonably high shipping charges ($13 for a 1 lb package from Peoria to Lansing) so I'm afraid they are off my list now...

Elvis has left the building...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Old 01-21-2008, 02:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39821
Comments: 1

brother7 is offline IP: 75.7.17.17

Thanks for your opinion, Al.

I'd normally order from B&H, especially since I'm a NAPP member and get free shipping, but they don't carry the California Sunbounce. I did a forum search on Glamour1 and from what I found, it sounds like the Sunbounce wasn't available in the US for a while, only becoming available again recently.

What brand of Z-stripe reflector do you use, and how much did it cost you?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to brother7 Visit brother7's homepage! Find More Posts by brother7

Old 01-21-2008, 03:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 69.208.254.168

Quote:
Originally Posted by brother7 View Post
What brand of Z-stripe reflector do you use, and how much did it cost you?
Honestly, I'd have to go look at it to try and figure out what brand it is. Something like Folio or similar, I presume it's from China.

It's an oval 30 by 70 inch collapsable reflector with 5 covers. One of those twist-to-make-it-overlap-itself and fold up to 1/3 size things. I bought it new at a used camera sale (Photorama) that hits Detroit about every 2 months and gave all of $60 for it. But it does what I need it to do.

View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Old 01-21-2008, 05:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.113.233

I bought a 4' x 7' frame and the zebra type reflector material to fit for about $80 at a local camera shop. I've used the Sunbounce products before and find them to be grossly overpriced in my opinion. They may be a little easier to hold, but the majority of times that is not really relevant since you use a light stand to hold them or have an assistant hold them. I also use one of the collapsible reflectors with multiple covers that I bought for about $75, again from a local camera store. There are many brands of these kinds of things and they work very well and I think are much more cost effective than Sunbounce products. I also bought a 4'x7' reflector from Calumet for $50 on a closeout. It was called a 3d reflector and had a speedring with it. Its a reflector that you shoot through. But it had a Velcro cover that would cover the center hole and made it a large parabolic like reflector. Here is an eBay sale by Calumet of one of these to give you and idea what they're like. I have three of them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Calumet-60x86-La...QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 01-22-2008, 11:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Member GG#: 35280
Send a message via AIM to JaysonFromMaine Send a message via Yahoo to JaysonFromMaine

JaysonFromMaine is offline IP: 65.1.30.166

I have a 5x5 ft peace of ripstop nylon...I am thinking of doing up a 1/2 inch copper frame that could be fixed to the top of a light stand like a sunswatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
I bought a 4' x 7' frame and the zebra type reflector material to fit for about $80 at a local camera shop. I've used the Sunbounce products before and find them to be grossly overpriced in my opinion. They may be a little easier to hold, but the majority of times that is not really relevant since you use a light stand to hold them or have an assistant hold them. I also use one of the collapsible reflectors with multiple covers that I bought for about $75, again from a local camera store. There are many brands of these kinds of things and they work very well and I think are much more cost effective than Sunbounce products. I also bought a 4'x7' reflector from Calumet for $50 on a closeout. It was called a 3d reflector and had a speedring with it. Its a reflector that you shoot through. But it had a Velcro cover that would cover the center hole and made it a large parabolic like reflector. Here is an eBay sale by Calumet of one of these to give you and idea what they're like. I have three of them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Calumet-60x86-La...QQcmdZViewItem

Cheers,
rfs
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JaysonFromMaine Visit JaysonFromMaine's homepage! Find More Posts by JaysonFromMaine

Old 01-24-2008, 12:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.77.110.241

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysonFromMaine View Post
I have a 5x5 ft peace of ripstop nylon...I am thinking of doing up a 1/2 inch copper frame that could be fixed to the top of a light stand like a sunswatter
Here's a suggestion... Price the copper before you commit to this. Copper has gotten very expensive... so much so that thieves are breaking into houses under construction and stealing the pipes.

I'd use PVC pipe. Cheaper, about as strong, and lighter. But that's just my opinion.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:30 PM   #8 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Member GG#: 35280
Send a message via AIM to JaysonFromMaine Send a message via Yahoo to JaysonFromMaine

JaysonFromMaine is offline IP: 67.35.153.99

my other thought was just to get a shoot through umbrella and mount it on a stand with an adaptor....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Nowak View Post
Here's a suggestion... Price the copper before you commit to this. Copper has gotten very expensive... so much so that thieves are breaking into houses under construction and stealing the pipes.

I'd use PVC pipe. Cheaper, about as strong, and lighter. But that's just my opinion.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JaysonFromMaine Visit JaysonFromMaine's homepage! Find More Posts by JaysonFromMaine