Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
A question for AB softbox users only...
Old 01-13-2008, 05:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406
Comments: 0

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 69.208.254.155

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey, this question is for AB softbox users only... All others need not reply. (Yeah, sure, that's gonna stop 'em... like putting up a paper tape to stop a tank...)

I've got the BIG softbox (30 by 60 inch) and it keeps slipping off the B800 monolight unless it's perfectly vertical. Anybody else using this combo? Having The same issue? Got a solution?

Haven't talked to the Bee folks yet, but just thought I'd throw the question out. So far the only major casualty has been a 100 watt lightbulb, but it's annoying.

Elvis has left the building...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Re: A question for AB softbox users only...
Old 01-13-2008, 06:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55042
My Mood:

RobArtLyn is offline IP: 141.156.187.140

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Nowak View Post
I've got the BIG softbox (30 by 60 inch) and it keeps slipping off the B800 monolight unless it's perfectly vertical. Anybody else using this combo?
Sometimes.

Quote:
Having The same issue?
No.

Quote:
Got a solution?
Are you absolutely sure that you are catching all four prongs on the light in the speed ring? I have noticed that with any of my soft boxes that I can accidentally miss one of the prongs when I am mounting the speed ring on the light if everything is not correctly lined up. I solved this by getting into the habit of putting the bulky soft box on the floor face down and then hooking the light to it while I could see what I am doing instead of mounting the soft box after the light is already on the light stand.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RobArtLyn Find More Posts by RobArtLyn

Old 01-13-2008, 06:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 69.208.254.155

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobArtLyn View Post
I solved this by getting into the habit of putting the bulky soft box on the floor face down and then hooking the light to it while I could see what I am doing instead of mounting the soft box after the light is already on the light stand.
Yes, all fingers are catching because that's the same way I mount the box on the light. Too much likelihood of damaging the flash tube doing otherwise.

But I do notice that the inner surface of the speed ring is sorta chewed up like the metal fingers have been gouging through it as the weight of the box pulls it off.

I dunno, maybe the springs that hold the fingers out on mine are weaker than yours, but somethings going on...

View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Old 01-13-2008, 07:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55042
My Mood:

RobArtLyn is offline IP: 141.156.187.140

Do you have another speed ring to try it with?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RobArtLyn Find More Posts by RobArtLyn

Old 01-13-2008, 07:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.246.175.220

By slipping off, do you mean that the softbox just falls off to the floor or does it just not stay where you put it when you rotate it to other than vertical?

As far as the gouging and the strenght of the clamps, the clamps or fingers on my Alien Bees are quite strong. I have to apply considerable pressure to move them toward the center for putting on attachments. By the way, I use the B800 for my big softbox.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 01-13-2008, 07:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55362

nakins is offline IP: 70.232.36.18

try taking the speed ring off the box and then fit it t the light, just to see how much of the ring the prong are getting a hold of. Maybe it's put together backwards or something. Maybe your light is damaged too.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to nakins Find More Posts by nakins

Old 01-13-2008, 07:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 69.208.245.24

Hmmm... lots of interest...

Okay, to save time I'll answer the last three posts in one shot.

1. Do you have another speed ring to try it with?

Yes, in fact, several. They all look EXACTLY like the one on the big box, so I'm inclined to believe it's an issue with the fingers/springs rather than the ring.

2. By slipping off, do you mean that the softbox just falls off to the floor or does it just not stay where you put it when you rotate it to other than vertical?

The box falls off on the floor. I might mention that the box is the older LightWorks box AB sold, not the current "folding" version. It's relative heavy (okay, so maybe 4 to 6 pounds... I haven't put it on the bathroom scales yet!)

3. Maybe it's put together backwards or something. Maybe your light is damaged too.

Put together backwards? Don't think so... It works just fine with the medium softbox, it just seems the extra weight/torque of the big box is too much for the fingers to deal with.

Damaged light? Again, don't think so as everything WORKS just fine, except the fingers just don't hold the box on securely. After a bit, crash, and the box is on the floor unless it's near perfectly vertical (meaning little force pulling it forward).

Old 01-13-2008, 08:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 52976
Comments: 43
My Mood:

soupman is offline IP: 75.40.251.196

I had this same problem when I tried to mount the softbox (same size) to the AB800 by myself. I could only get three of the four fingers to catch. When I had help, it was much easier. The back material on the sofbox make it very hard to ensure that all the fingers are grabbing.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to soupman Find More Posts by soupman

Old 01-13-2008, 09:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45340

PhotosbyChuck is offline IP: 68.77.20.84

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupman View Post
I had this same problem when I tried to mount the softbox (same size) to the AB800 by myself. I could only get three of the four fingers to catch. When I had help, it was much easier. The back material on the sofbox make it very hard to ensure that all the fingers are grabbing.
Without help, I usually put the softbox on the floor with the speedring on top and then set the light into the box. It's the only way I could easily get a larger box onto all prongs of the light and not risk knocking the tubes against the speedring. (I have WL and Speedotron heads, but I think that trick should work for ABs just fine...like a tank through tape, I am).
  View Public Profile Visit PhotosbyChuck's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosbyChuck

Old 01-16-2008, 12:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.255.72.200

I haven't gotten around to playing with the speedring and fingers just yet, but I did hear back from the Bee's service department.

They said if the B800 was less than two years old, ship it back and they'll fix the speedring issue and anything else wrong for free. If the B800 is out of warrenty, they want $40 (standard repair charge) to fix anything wrong with the unit. I'm not sure that includes a dead flashtube, but it might. The main thing is that they didn't mention anyone else having similar problems, but then they probably wouldn't.

Anyway, I thought I'd take a closer look at the problem when I get some spare time. I let you know what I find...