Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Foamcore boards for background
Old 01-02-2008, 08:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55362
Comments: 0

nakins is offline IP: 70.232.36.18

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey,
another post on G1 mentioned a DVD by Mary DuPrie on instructing models on how to pose. I went to the link and was checking everything and noticed that she seems to be using 1" think foam core or something like it to paint on, ie; a fake wall. I was wondering if any of you have seen this done before and was wondering how they attach two piece together and make it "seamless"? I can't get anything bigger than 1/2" foam core here in Arkansas, and I doubt that wall insulating board will have a paintable surface on it. Any ideas or suggestions?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to nakins Find More Posts by nakins

Re: Foamcore boards for background
Old 01-03-2008, 11:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37846

wtxswm is offline IP: 71.115.102.226

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Do a google search for foamcore...you will find some art supply stores that carry 1", and sell it by the case...hold on to your checkbook!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to wtxswm Find More Posts by wtxswm

Old 01-03-2008, 08:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.112.37

I think the 1/2" stuff is the best width because its a lot lighter. If you use white tape to join to boards together, they make a nice book end that is easy to use. I usually cut mine to 3' x 7' so that makes a panel that is almost 6' wide when almost fully extended. If using for a background, you simply light it to blow out the white and that blows out the tape also.
Usually I use these to block lights from spilling on whatever.
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 01-05-2008, 04:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.255.61.216

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakins View Post
Hey,
I can't get anything bigger than 1/2" foam core here in Arkansas, and I doubt that wall insulating board will have a paintable surface on it.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Thick foamcore is nice, but I haven't found it locally here either, and even the thin stuff is really expensive in large sheets.

Here's my thinking. The foam insulation products available at the home improvement places in 4 foot by 8 foot sheets are somewhat more reasonably priced. That gets you the basic structure. Heck, even 4X8 sheets of 1/2" plywood are cheaper than the foamcore.

Some of the insulation products have aluminum foil water barriers, some don't. What you need is a surface you can paint on. I'm thinking cut the foam to desired size and epoxy some readily available poster board on them. Then you can paint to whatever color, wallpaper over, fabric cover, etc...

I think these materials are a lot more available, and significantly lower cost than foamcore although it does take some extra work, and you may have to be careful with lighting to avoid showing seams.

If you've seen the pictures of Mary's studio on PBASE, she has a rather extensive collection of those false walls, props, wardrobe, etc. Must be nice... I have a living room... she has 3700 square feet of space.

Elvis has left the building...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Old 01-05-2008, 12:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Printing Guru

Member GG#: 38988
Comments: 1

UltimateAppealPhotography is offline IP: 68.108.22.130

I used the white board that you get at home improvement stores to put in walls of showers and kitchen walls etc... the 1/4 inch thick stuff that is gloss white on one side.

As R Fredrick Smith stated you can set your lighting to blow out the seams, or light editing in PS to remove what little shows.

In my old home studio in Tampa I had about 10 various 4 x 8 sheets, in sets of 2 to give me 8' x 8' walls, flooring etc.

A couple of those sets where 12" x 12" tiles glued to plywood so I could change out the flooring at a moments notice etc.

This image was taken using the gloss white sheets both for the floor and wall

This image was the white gloss "wall" and the plywood and tile "flooring"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to UltimateAppealPhotography Visit UltimateAppealPhotography's homepage! Find More Posts by UltimateAppealPhotography

Old 01-05-2008, 11:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.255.60.185

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateAppealPhotography View Post

I used the white board that you get at home improvement stores to put in walls of showers and kitchen walls etc... the 1/4 inch thick stuff that is gloss white on one side.
The question is will the 1/4" panels stand up by themselves without bowing. For example, if you hinged two together with tape to form a corner?

Also will the glossy surface "take" paint and wallpaper paste? What about the backside?

And finally, how much do they weigh?

I think my concerns (which I presume are similar to other shooters) are that while the white paneling is great for white floors and backgrounds, we want a variety of backgrounds available.

View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Old 01-06-2008, 01:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Printing Guru

Member GG#: 38988
Comments: 1

UltimateAppealPhotography is offline IP: 68.108.22.130

I used the walls to support them, as they do bend. The backs are paintable.

Weight wise; they are probably about 25lbs per 4x8 sheet, so light enough to move around by yourself. The plywood I used for the flooring and as an underlayment for the sheets was 3/4 inch thick so those were fairly heavy with the tiles glued to them. I was able to move them around by myself... but they do tire you out.

For cloth backgrounds that were easy to move around, I used two spare light stands, and 1.5" PVC pipe with a 1/2 inch hole drilled near each end. I bought varieties of material at fabric stores in the longest widths I could find, I think the longest was 12' wide. This setup was very easily moved around and took up very little storage space.

The picture below was taken with one of the cloth backdrops:
  View Public Profile Send a private message to UltimateAppealPhotography Visit UltimateAppealPhotography's homepage! Find More Posts by UltimateAppealPhotography

Old 01-07-2008, 10:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.77.111.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateAppealPhotography View Post
I used the walls to support them, as they do bend.
Thought so. Unfortunately, forming corners (without actually having the panels in a corner) is what I'd probably try to do most. And 25 pounds may not seem like much, but at 50 pounds per "corner" it's a lot more than foamcore or insulation panels.

Don't get me wrong, I'll use the white panels as a floor with white seamless to save the seamless, but I'll pass on using them as walls until I've exhausted the other options.

Old 01-08-2008, 07:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Just to update my situation, I bought to 4 x 8 x 1" blue dow styrofoam panels from Lowes ($35.00). I'm going to try gluing paper to the panels with elmers and then paint them. I have no idea how this will work out. I'll let y'all know.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Gluing brown wrapping paper to styrofoam sux.

going for plan B. Gluing card board on the styrofoan, which will probably suck too.