Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Studio Shooting Methods
Old 12-11-2007, 01:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 60121
Comments: 0

Professional is offline IP: 64.62.138.10

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi all, This is my first post, i feel happy to find this site by accident.

Let's get into details directly:
I have got a studio background stand and 3 different colors backgrounds [White, black, and soft or light gray], now which one do you prefer to use mostly?

I have small umbrella [White with Black Backing - 32"] and small softbox [45x65cm], and one reflector [5-in-1 42"], how can i use them for better results? i always got something wrong, either unwanted shadow, or hotspots, under/over exposures ...etc, i got some nice results for sure, but i want to get that glamorous looks [for my children and maybe my wife or anyone in the future].

If above are not good enough to work with in studio lighting, so give me better accessories or tools to work with [i hope you stick with Hensel brand], but just recommend me if really i need to upgrade or replace.

I use that studio upstairs Hall in my house, the dimensions are not so great ideal but enough for a while [5m(W)X8m(L)X3.5m(H)], white painted walls.

just to be so clear i have only 2 lights.

I am hobbyist, and i shoot my kids only, my wife rarely do accept to be a model but i think i keep working with children now.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Professional Find More Posts by Professional

Re: Studio Shooting Methods
Old 12-11-2007, 04:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.236.211.40

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

You should be able to shoot beautiful portraits with what you have. The softbox at 25" x 18" would light the face and upper body. It should be moved in close to the subject to get the best softness from the box. Suppose you put it at 45 degrees in front of the model. The reflector goes on the opposite side and is moved in and out to define your lighting ratio. Your second light goes on to the background or can be used as a hair or rim light. You can allow part of the second light to spill on to the background for extra separation.

There are many good lighting books that show how to set up these sorts of shots.

Post a few examples of your work --- one that you think is good and one that you think is bad and perhaps we can gives some direct feedback.

Click for larger version

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith
Last edited by R_Fredrick_Smith; 12-11-2007 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 12-12-2007, 02:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Professional is offline IP: 64.62.138.26

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
You should be able to shoot beautiful portraits with what you have. The softbox at 25" x 18" would light the face and upper body. It should be moved in close to the subject to get the best softness from the box. Suppose you put it at 45 degrees in front of the model. The reflector goes on the opposite side and is moved in and out to define your lighting ratio. Your second light goes on to the background or can be used as a hair or rim light. You can allow part of the second light to spill on to the background for extra separation.

There are many good lighting books that show how to set up these sorts of shots.

Post a few examples of your work --- one that you think is good and one that you think is bad and perhaps we can gives some direct feedback.

Cheers,
rfs
Ah ok, thank you very very much for your answer.

i will check my photos and post few examples of what I've got and see what i need to improve.

Cheers,
Tareq
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Professional Find More Posts by Professional

Old 12-12-2007, 05:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 52976
Comments: 43
My Mood:

soupman is offline IP: 75.41.19.222

I too am learning. Try looking at this site for some ideas:
http://photoflexlightingschool.com/L...oor/index.html

good luck!

Click for larger version

I used a softbox and umbrella light for this photo similar to the way RFS describes. I am sure I could have done better, but I wanted to try my hand at low light photography and setting a mood. I am going to keep trying.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to soupman Find More Posts by soupman

Old 12-13-2007, 07:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Professional is offline IP: 64.62.138.14

OK, here we go

I am very sorry, i know those are too much, but please forgive me, i just show some of what i've got so far, i have too much more but i don't think i should show more, those above can give general idea of what i have done so far, so what are your comments & critiques? i need to improve and as always i just practicing and experimenting.