Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Alien Bee Sync Jack Issue
Old 11-19-2007, 11:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
Comments: 0
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 76.186.39.178

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'm having a lot of trouble with the sync jacks on my Alien Bees. The mini plug on my wireless transmitters don't seem to want to make contact in the jack without taping it up or using a rubber band to hold it in the right position. I've sent all three of my Bees to the factory for repairs and they worked for the next month, but now I'm having the same issue again. Anyone else using Bees with the same issue or know a good workaround?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Re: Alien Bee Sync Jack Issue
Old 11-19-2007, 11:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36094
Send a message via AIM to mrjazz

mrjazz is offline IP: 24.155.228.149

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I had the same problem with mine but my stand was not tight and the pole came down and the impact affected the Bee, I sent it in and the work order sheet stated that they replaced the board and it has been working well ever since.

--------------------------------------------------
"Live well, Laugh often, Love much"
Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect.
It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mrjazz Visit mrjazz's homepage! Find More Posts by mrjazz

Old 11-20-2007, 12:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55042
My Mood:

RobArtLyn is offline IP: 138.88.37.146

I have the same issue. The plug from the receivers will only work intermittently, yet plugging in a wired sync cord works 100% of the time. I haven't gotten around to talking to AB about it because I only use the radio units on those occasions when light placement makes optical slave use unrealistic. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that the receiver needs an adapter from the 1/4" plug to the sub-mini version. The weight hanging from the jack might be a problem. Considering that AB just repackages generic 3rd party units for their wireless triggers, for the volume that they do they should have spec'd them with the correct size plug instead of providing adapters.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RobArtLyn Find More Posts by RobArtLyn

Old 11-20-2007, 07:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 59350

okc73ta is offline IP: 68.227.123.101

Just on the off hand chance, check to make sure you are using a mono plug instead of a stereo plug. My buddy ran into something similiar and I noticed he had a stereo plugs on the ends of his cord, went and got the right cord and all was well
  View Public Profile Send a private message to okc73ta Find More Posts by okc73ta

Old 11-20-2007, 09:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 74.225.10.81

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobArtLyn View Post
I have the same issue. The plug from the receivers will only work intermittently, yet plugging in a wired sync cord works 100% of the time.
This is the same problem I've been having, too. And yeah it seems to have something to do with the weight of the receiver. Marty, wish I could offer some help, other than instead of taping it, try a rubber band or a twist tie around it and the electric cord, so you don't have to keep using up tape.
http://sambeasley.tumblr.com
http://www.lalluredesmots.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 11-20-2007, 11:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36882
Comments: 2
My Mood:

RonC is offline IP: 24.4.76.104

I hang my recievers on the light with a large paper clip bent in a hook on one end, and hooked through the eyelet on the reciever....no weight on the plug = contact.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Nothing stays as good as it once was!
http://www.myspace.com/ronsphotos
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RonC Visit RonC's homepage! Find More Posts by RonC

Old 11-20-2007, 01:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55042
My Mood:

RobArtLyn is offline IP: 138.88.37.146

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonC View Post
I hang my recievers on the light with a large paper clip bent in a hook on one end, and hooked through the eyelet on the reciever....no weight on the plug = contact.
My receivers don't have an eyelet. Actually, most of the weight is supported by the pass-through AC power cord. I was thinking that perhaps it was the weight of the combined plug adapters. I really hate intermittent problems. They work perfectly every time when I plug them into the sync jack on my 4-Channel Wired Remote, so I usually just use it that way. As long as I get the cord off of my camera I am happy. I should just splice on the right size plug and see if that makes a difference.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RobArtLyn Find More Posts by RobArtLyn

Old 11-21-2007, 10:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Oddly Irritating

Member GG#: 35404
Comments: 2

ErnieR is offline IP: 70.128.1.151

use velcro to attach the remote to the flash head, don't just let it hang there on the sync cord. Letting it hang on the cord like that is very bad for the jack.

My Website
My Photo Blog
My Photo Diary
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ErnieR Visit ErnieR's homepage! Find More Posts by ErnieR

Old 11-22-2007, 11:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 76.186.39.178

Velcro, rubber bands, paper clips .... looks like each Alien Bee owner has his own workaround for this sync jack problem. Too bad Mr. Bluff doesn't fix the problem permaninently ... or at least send out some rubber bands with the units.

Thanks for all the sugguestions and have a very happy Thanksgiving. Guess it's time for me to McGuyver something.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Old 11-22-2007, 02:37 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.236.210.207

Sometimes you can buy an adapter where the male plug of the adapter goes into the Bee, and then the male plug of the cord coming from he receiver goes into the adapter. So the adapter is an extension adapter, in other words. I've found that the plugs on some of the cords just are not quite uniform, but the adapter thing gives you a chance to find one that is a real good fit into the Bee (and adapters are cheap). I use the Pocket Wizards with my Bees and I've not had the problem, but I have a good cord between the receiver and Bee.
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith