Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamourô > Garage Glamourô Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Calibrating light meter with camera
Old 11-15-2007, 06:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 49079
Comments: 2

PhotoAl is offline IP: 24.94.187.57

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I recall seeing something related to this issue but not quite the same. I have a Minolta Auto Meter IIIF from my 35mm days. I would like to use it with my digital slr but the photos come out much too dark when I use the meter readings. I know there is an adjustment setting in the battery compartment of the meter but is there a specific method for calibrating the meter to the camera? The exposure seems to be so far off I'm not sure the meter can be adjusted enough to match the camera. Thanks for your thoughts about this.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to PhotoAl Find More Posts by PhotoAl

Re: Calibrating light meter with camera
Old 11-15-2007, 08:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35679
Comments: 0
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to Soujrnr Send a message via Yahoo to Soujrnr

Soujrnr is offline IP: 207.5.207.245

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I would think you could meter a scene with your camera and then adjust your light meter to match the readings given by your camera. Built-in camera meters are quite accurate nowadays.

Good luck.

Mike

Light a candle rather than curse the darkness!

View Public Profile Send a private message to Soujrnr Visit Soujrnr's homepage! Find More Posts by Soujrnr

Old 11-15-2007, 08:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 59457

DeanCapture is offline IP: 76.174.203.159

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoAl View Post
I recall seeing something related to this issue but not quite the same. I have a Minolta Auto Meter IIIF from my 35mm days. I would like to use it with my digital slr but the photos come out much too dark when I use the meter readings. I know there is an adjustment setting in the battery compartment of the meter but is there a specific method for calibrating the meter to the camera? The exposure seems to be so far off I'm not sure the meter can be adjusted enough to match the camera. Thanks for your thoughts about this.
First thing I would do is visit a local camera store and compare your meter to a brand new one. It's not unusual for meters to "drift" over the years but it may need to be sent to Minolta for repair.

Once you have a meter that you know is in good working order, consider picking up this great little ebook called: Digital Camera Calibration. It's less than $10 and well worth the money. I've recommended it to several people who have found it very informative and helpful.

Good luck!!!
  View Public Profile Visit DeanCapture's homepage! Find More Posts by DeanCapture

Old 12-10-2007, 12:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35522

lvthunder is offline IP: 12.110.17.162

My dad had a meter that did that. We took it to the camera store and they said that the part the measures the light had gone bad, but since Minolta has gotten out of the camera buisness he couldn't find the parts to fix it. So I had to buy a new meter.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lvthunder Visit lvthunder's homepage! Find More Posts by lvthunder

Old 12-10-2007, 12:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.236.210.224

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCapture View Post
First thing I would do is visit a local camera store and compare your meter to a brand new one. It's not unusual for meters to "drift" over the years but it may need to be sent to Minolta for repair.

Once you have a meter that you know is in good working order, consider picking up this great little ebook called: Digital Camera Calibration. It's less than $10 and well worth the money. I've recommended it to several people who have found it very informative and helpful.

Good luck!!!
The same material in the little book is also in the same author's larger book, "Skin" along with lots of other very important stuff about photographing people. Its well worth the price.
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 12-10-2007, 12:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55352
Comments: 14

Stecyk is offline IP: 68.146.57.71

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoAl View Post
One easy solution is to shoot a Photovision target using your camera's settings. When you shoot the target, you will get three peaks, one each for the black, gray, and white stripes.

I used my light meter settings to exposure. I then varied the exposure up and down in increments of 1/3rd É stops to maximum 1 É stop difference.

I loaded the images into Photoshop to see which exposure provided the most accurate reading. That is, which exposure had the gray peak in the middle of the histogram? In my case, the meter provided the correct exposure settings.

If I needed to use the "overexposured" image with a setting of 2/3rds É stop, then I would have known that the meter underexposed by 2/3rd É stop.

Hope this helps.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Stecyk Visit Stecyk's homepage! Find More Posts by Stecyk