Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
DAM only program - freeware?
Old 11-09-2007, 03:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 66.183.218.26

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

There used to be a time not so long ago when you could find individual programs that did only one thing...simply, quickly and efficiently. Nowadays you find most management programs have the kitchen sink thrown in as well. What I'm looking for is a straight forward DAM program to keep my photoclub images in order and can be edited to include keywords for searching. I don't need graphic manipulation, nor the ability to make up slideshows or webgalleries, and no need for printing. All I need is management.

Do you know of any such program...preferably Freeware?

Re: DAM only program - freeware?
Old 11-09-2007, 07:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57204
Comments: 2

Absolutely Digital is offline IP: 202.33.109.12

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Sure!
Its free with you OS. Its called "Rename & Folders". Really pretty easy to use, a little time consuming but somewhat effective. Wait, I'm sorry even that allows you to burn and make slideshows.

What is the big deal about getting a program that does what you want and just so happens to do other things as well? If you dont like to use the other features than dont, however I would feel reasured knowing that if I did need the other features I had them at my disposal.

No big deal....I used ACDSee before I got lightroom and I was happy with that. But there are so many to choose from and some are free. It comes down to a personal preference.

Old 11-09-2007, 12:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43942
Comments: 0

Stupid is offline IP: 65.213.169.197

I know your not interested in extra features, but Google has a free tool called Picasa which (if you ignore the things you don't need) is exactly what your looking for

Seriously, I've tried a bunch of different software for photo file managment and this one seems to do a reasonable job, and promises to add some interesting features (such as image recognition, which is why I gave it a try).

I don't 100% trust that no info would ever be sent back to google without my knowledge, but just because I'm paranoid it doesn't mean I'm not being watched...

Old 11-10-2007, 03:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 66.183.218.26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely Digital View Post
If you dont like to use the other features than dont, however I would feel reasured knowing that if I did need the other features I had them at my disposal.
That's just it...other than image management there is no need for any of the other 'features'.

Perhaps this will clarify?...
Once a month we gather together the club members' images (typically between 90 and 100 each month) submitted for evaluation. These are then digitally projected, judged according to particular criteria, points/levels assessed to them and the results are recorded. After that meeting our Selection Committee gathers together to cull out the Certificate of Merit and Gold results and these are maintained for submission to other competitions by other clubs/organizations.

Before we made the move to digital some 3 years ago we were projecting film slides. So there was even greater difficulty in maintaining a database of images to choose from (descriptions of the slides written on paper?). Now that we are primarily projecting digital images the resulting files are filed and backed up on the Club's laptop. The only purpose for this laptop is to gather the submissions, to project them and to store them. This is not a personal computer that would be used to manipulate the photos, or to generate slideshows or to print out the files. So there is no need to have those other features.

So to get back to my original query what I am looking for is a DAM program that is small, simple, editable (keywords) and preferrably free. As I said, before the advent of these All in One programs (such as Aperture, Lightroom and their clones) I am sure that standalone DAM existed...and am asking the G1 members for suggestions.

I did, at one time, have Picasa on my computer at home and was disappointed in the manner that the program did its file management. Perhaps things have changed in it to allow for editable Metadata fields and queries based on the information in the Metadata?

Well whatever final decision that is made by the Committee they will have a big task ahead of them. As we are now into our 3rd. year of digital submission/projection someone is going to have to sit down with each image, decide what the keywords should be and enter those into the database. We probably have over a thousand images accumulated now. At least I know it won't be me doing this.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 59500
Comments: 0

KenL is offline IP: 74.214.45.181

You might want to try Adobe Photoshop Album Starter Edition. I believe it's the same organizer that is found in Photoshop Elements, but has some limited image editing in it. I'm not sure if it will meet your needs, but the price is right - free.

http://www.adobe.com/products/photos...m/starter.html
  View Public Profile Send a private message to KenL Find More Posts by KenL

Old 11-14-2007, 04:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56870
Comments: 3

BobEdens is offline IP: 74.205.135.50

ACDSee new version is crap, locks up, has errors.

get the oldest version of ACDSee you can find version around 4. Used to come free when you buy a scanner or printer by HP and others. Lets you do all the things you want not much else. but it has adjustable thumbnail size and can show full size and zoom. Important to me. The keyword search thing I don't remember if its in the old versions but is in the new one that sucks.