Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
I hate Vista...
Old 09-22-2007, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406
Comments: 0

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.255.80.185

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I wanted something so I could burn DVD's of images when away from home. Sometimes I work with models in other cities and would like to hand them their images at the end of the shoot.

I looked at what's currently available to do that, and it was obvious that an inexpensive laptop would provide the best combination of features, and give me the ability to watch DVD's while waiting around, do some minor editing, etc.

So I bought a new low end Toshiba laptop on sale for $400 after rebates, etc. Baaad mistake. Didn't check what came on the laptop. It's loaded with Vista...

Vista kinda looks like Windows and maybe it's more robust (not so many blue screens of death...), but it doesn't play nice with older versions of software. So far, NONE of my old software will work with it... and that includes my Nero CD/DVD burning stuff, the ACDSee version 8 image manager, etc...

Okay, so I try to get by using the "native" MS software.
I tried to offload a 2 Gig compact flash card to the harddrive using the MS Import function. Total estimated time using a PCMCIA interface - an hour and a half. Un - @#$%^& - believable!

Oh, I've played around and using a USB interface got it down closer to 5 minutes, but you have been warned.

Vista may be hazardous to your state of mind...

Elvis has left the building...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Re: I hate Vista...
Old 09-22-2007, 11:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.124.29

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

First of all, if you only spent $400, then you got a bare bones system which is going to run slow. Many older programs will have problems if you install them in the default path. I've found that for the most part, an older program, should be installed outside the "Program Files" folder. Then it will usually work properly. So I just created a new folder called "My Program files" and install everything there. That solved most problems. Naturally you're going to get slow results from a PCMCIA card. That's sort of "old technology".
I've actually found Vista quite good and on a proper machine it works like a champ. But a "proper" machine needs at least a dual core processor and 2gb of memory and a large fast Sata drive, etc.
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 09-23-2007, 03:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55042
My Mood:

RobArtLyn is offline IP: 138.88.6.84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Nowak View Post
I tried to offload a 2 Gig compact flash card to the harddrive using the MS Import function. Total estimated time using a PCMCIA interface - an hour and a half. Un - @#$%^& - believable!
With that type of performance, I assume you were also using a budget 16 bit PC-Card adapter instead of a 32 bit CardBus adapter in the slot. (Nobody has referred to them as PCMCIA in a very long time.) (PC-Card and CardBus are both obsolete now and have been replaced by ExpressCard slots in higher end machines. They won't trickle down to the budget stuff for a little while.)

Also, the Import function in Vista Photo gallery is broken. It is replaced if you install Windows Live Photo Gallery, which makes it slightly less broken. To do that, you need to first install SQL 2005 Compact Edition. Joy! Of course, the real question: Why you are trying to use a half baked OS add-on to manage your photos? That is what application software is for. If you want your photos copied off of your card, you drag-and-drop in Explorer.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RobArtLyn Find More Posts by RobArtLyn

Old 09-23-2007, 11:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55130
Comments: 1
My Mood:

J Diaz is offline IP: 24.44.15.27

Not exactly he have a bare bones PC my wife she buy a a Gateway with window vista unlimited completed sysytem for 599.99 in top of that 200.00 dollar rebate she do alot interiors designer but the laptop is in fact slow. I put a higher Ram in that system and stay the same as slow, in fact is i found the problem in the hardware the CPU was centrino 800mhz and fsb 400.
to avooid that problem before you buy a system this is what you have to do.

go to start > my computer > right click on the empty space a dialog box open> click on the properties and you see the speed and ram of the system cofig. oh buy the way one of the biger mistake we as a cosummer is we listen to the saleman. don't allow the saleman influence in you desicion you have the last world.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to J Diaz Find More Posts by J Diaz

Old 09-23-2007, 04:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 69.208.248.75

I think some are missing the main point. I didn't buy this machine to be a serious computing machine, just a CD/DVD burner with DVD playback capabilities.

Yes, it is a single core processor, but it's a 1.6 GHz with a 533 MHz FSB, a Gig of RAM, 80 Gig harddrive, built in wireless, and a huge screen. I figured 1.6 GHz ought to be fast enough to handle transferring the contents of a 2 Gig CF card in a REASONABLE time. I don't consider an hour and a half REASONABLE!

As for the 32 bit (yes, I checked...) PCMCIA card... well, it may be old technology, but when I use it with an old Dell Latitude laptop which I believe is running at about 400 MHz with a SLOW FSB... it'll offload the card in about 5 or 6 minutes.

I guess my main gripe at this point is that Vista doesn't seem to play nice with much, if any, older software. That may be due to additional robustness features, security hole fills, or whatever... The point is, if you intend to upgrade to Vista, plan on getting all new updates for your apps, or suffering the pain of trying to find patches to get them to work.

BTW, there is a patch reportedly available that will allow ACDSee 8 to run under Vista... but it is also reported to possibly screw up CD/DVD burning! Sometimes ya just can't get a break...

Next time around.... Apple.

View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak
Last edited by Al_Nowak; 09-23-2007 at 07:17 PM..

Old 09-23-2007, 07:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55336

Bigv is offline IP: 69.29.209.46

Try Ubuntu.

While you wont be able to run photoshop on it, disk burning is a no brainer.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Bigv Find More Posts by Bigv

Old 09-23-2007, 08:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.77.108.138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigv View Post
Try Ubuntu.

While you wont be able to run photoshop on it, disk burning is a no brainer.
Maybe in my next life... No offense, but I am too old to learn a completely alien OS at this point. Give me a simple plug 'n play no brainer, and let me sip my lemonaid and think evil thoughts about MS...

Old 09-24-2007, 02:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55130
Comments: 1
My Mood:

J Diaz is offline IP: 24.44.15.27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Nowak View Post
I think some are missing the main point. I didn't buy this machine to be a serious computing machine, just a CD/DVD burner with DVD playback capabilities.

Yes, it is a single core processor, but it's a 1.6 GHz with a 533 MHz FSB, a Gig of RAM, 80 Gig harddrive, built in wireless, and a huge screen. I figured 1.6 GHz ought to be fast enough to handle transferring the contents of a 2 Gig CF card in a REASONABLE time. I don't consider an hour and a half REASONABLE!

As for the 32 bit (yes, I checked...) PCMCIA card... well, it may be old technology, but when I use it with an old Dell Latitude laptop which I believe is running at about 400 MHz with a SLOW FSB... it'll offload the card in about 5 or 6 minutes.

I guess my main gripe at this point is that Vista doesn't seem to play nice with much, if any, older software. That may be due to additional robustness features, security hole fills, or whatever... The point is, if you intend to upgrade to Vista, plan on getting all new updates for your apps, or suffering the pain of trying to find patches to get them to work.

BTW, there is a patch reportedly available that will allow ACDSee 8 to run under Vista... but it is also reported to possibly screw up CD/DVD burning! Sometimes ya just can't get a break...

Next time around.... Apple.
In that case what you need to do is get a thrid party software for the burner.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to J Diaz Find More Posts by J Diaz

Old 09-27-2007, 08:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 68.255.74.242

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Diaz View Post
In that case what you need to do is get a thrid party software for the burner.
Okay... that takes me right back to the fact that Vista doesn't play nice with lots of non-latest version software, or even some of the current software.

So if I buy a new CD burner program and it does't work with Vista, then do I go buy a new CD drive which will probably come with software that Vista doesn't like also?

Bill Gates must be very popular with the software guys these days. In one fell swoop MS wiped out a good chunk of the existing software.

Old 09-28-2007, 06:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 68.127.94.161

I'm with you on this one Al, Vista sucks big time!! Don't worry, I have a duo core 1.8 ghz with a gig of ram, and I get the blue screen of death on a regular basis. My recommendation is to purchase the newest version of Nero (at least version 7 - it's what I'm using, it's the first version compatable with Vista.) That should make things much easier when burning cd's or dvd's.

Isaiah