Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Aftermarket inkjet refill qaulity?
Old 09-13-2007, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38258
Comments: 0

Superdave is offline IP: 68.147.56.126

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi, I have a Canon Pixma MP760 printer for our basic home use. It's a decent printer/scanner/jack of all trades unit for home use. I generally print pics for my walls on my friends Fuji Frontier but from time to time I need to print a photo on the Pixma. I have not been happy with the printing from it. Colour matching from screen to print are not acceptable (well to this former photofinisher anyways). I wonder if anyone has experience with after market inks? It's what I suspect causing me this grief but wonder if anyone else has experience with this matter?

Thanks

Dave
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Superdave Find More Posts by Superdave

Re: Aftermarket inkjet refill qaulity?
Old 09-13-2007, 05:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35541

photoaz is offline IP: 67.161.152.126

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

If you are just making contact prints or stuff for self use then after market inks work fine. However if you are going to make prints for clients then why skimp on Ink. Your client is paying these prints anyway.

As to the color match problem there are many many reason for them not matching. Without getting into calibration of monitors when you go to print make sure you are turning off the color management of the printer. This is often a second software that runs in the background on top of what you have already corrected in Photoshop. i would also set the print menu to Let Photoshop Manage Colors. Have the latest drivers and match the paper to the print.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45340

PhotosbyChuck is offline IP: 68.250.252.79

The paper also plays a major factor in the color repro. I use a Canon 9000 and it's interesting to note a color shift occurs if you have the wrong paper type selected. The profile apparently factors in the color of the paper (which makes sense, just isn't always the first thought). So, if you are experiencing a color shift with your ink and recently changed the ink, then suspect that first. If the ink hasn't changed, it might just be your paper!
  View Public Profile Visit PhotosbyChuck's homepage! Find More Posts by PhotosbyChuck

Old 09-14-2007, 02:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 43515

DHDSP is offline IP: 80.69.192.135

Hi Dave !

Don't really know if this is the answer you're looking for, but I personally think the problem isn't the ink, nor the paper. It's probably the workflow.
I had - and still have - exactly the same problem matching the monitor to the print on paper.

Now , a couple of months , a couple of books, and lots of hardware later I came to the conclusion that one has to compromise.

The steps I took to get a closer match:
1. Monitor profiling (to have a calibrated view of the photo in question)
2. Printer profiling -> generate ICC profiles for your paper
3. Softproofing in PS + correcting curves
4. Printing with preview, choosing the ICC profile (NO corrections in the printer driver)
5. Praying...

(Hardware used: spyder2pro suite for monitor AND printer calibration/ICC Profiles, Epson R2400 with original inks, HP Instant Dry Photo Satin paper. Books: Skin, Masterin B&W in digital and a couple more)

Now my prints still don't match what I see on the monitor, but are VERY much closer than they were before I started my workflow enhancements. What you see on screen really is not reproducible by the printer because of the differences in color gamuth and the way the images are generated (reflective or luminating)- so it will always be a compromise

An alternative to making your own ICC profiles for certain paper-ink combinations would be using the paper-producer's icc profiles. The problem here ist that most of the paper manufacturers only have profiles for original inks.

My bottom line: without profiling hardware for both the monitor and the printer/paper I would not even think about using 3rd party inks...

Hope that helps somehow.

CU
Peter

Btw. I'm currently looking at the MIS K4 inks for my Epson R2400 - for cutting my private printing costs. Did anyone use this combo before ?

PS: on luminous landscape they are selling a video called "from camera to print". Read nothing but positive comment about it. I bought it allready but did not have the time to watch it yet (6 hours).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdave View Post
...from time to time I need to print a photo on the Pixma. I have not been happy with the printing from it. Colour matching from screen to print are not acceptable (well to this former photofinisher anyways)....
Dave
Last edited by DHDSP; 09-14-2007 at 03:21 AM..

Old 09-18-2007, 12:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 38258

Superdave is offline IP: 68.147.56.126

Thanks for all the advice. I actually started working part time at a place doing fine art printing and was able to use the Eye-1 calibration system at home. Ran the tests and all is well. Finally happy with what I am getting from my printer now.

Thanks again

Dave
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Superdave Find More Posts by Superdave