Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
What backup software?
Old 08-12-2007, 05:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36511
Comments: 0

MichaelVest is offline IP: 68.230.248.149

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I had a hard drive crash and it cost me $2500 to get the info back. Since then I have been using ntbackup.exe to external usb drives. Everything seemed to work ok but now when I try to do an incremental backup, I get a message that I am out of disk space (not possible it is a 500 GB drive) it says the limit is 4 GB if formated in fat32 but it is not it is NTFS. I don't get the error if I backup a new folder. Any help would be appreciated. I have learned my lesson about backing up! Thanks in advance you your assistance!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to MichaelVest Visit MichaelVest's homepage! Find More Posts by MichaelVest

Re: What backup software?
Old 08-12-2007, 08:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 58665

cpd23 is offline IP: 72.172.55.234

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

One of the best ways to keep a backup of your system is to use a Samba Server. Yea I know that sounds hard to do, however it really not that big of a project. The samba sever can be made from an older computer you have laying around your home just be sure to put in a large hard drive to hold your backup copies. Another reason for using a samba server it that it is a linux based system and if you have a virus issue that causes a failure on a Microsoft Box it will not effect the samba server. The server can be put on your local network and you will be able to put a copy any and all images you processes at the same time you save them to your computer. I would be glad to go into detail if you like just PM me.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cpd23 Visit cpd23's homepage! Find More Posts by cpd23

Old 08-12-2007, 09:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 46114

dledeaux is offline IP: 75.1.77.69

Files on my laptop get backed up to my carbonite account.

My archived files go onto my little RAID array which is as follows:

Linksys NSLU2 with 2 250 gig external drives. This is hooked up to my wireless network.

The NSLU2 has been modified to run a version of linux. Then that synchronizes everything to my Amazon S3 account.

The goal of course being that if one of the drives crashes then I can just swap over to the other drive and if my house burns down then they're stored on the Internet.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dledeaux Visit dledeaux's homepage! Find More Posts by dledeaux

Old 08-22-2007, 07:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 69.110.90.58

Here's what I do, it's kind of redundant, but I do that just in case. I have 2 500 GB external hard drives, where I copy all of the files, whole, not as a backup file or anything, and I also use DVD-RW's, so I have 4 copies of each file (internal HD, 2 external HD's, and DVD.) Just my method.

Isaiah

Old 08-22-2007, 02:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43029

zytkiewicz is offline IP: 66.188.97.26

Is there a specific reason you're using the software? I just drag and drop the folders onto my external hard drive.
MM#84146
http://www.monkeymetal.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to zytkiewicz Visit zytkiewicz's homepage! Find More Posts by zytkiewicz

Old 08-22-2007, 03:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56870
Comments: 3

BobEdens is offline IP: 66.18.61.18

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytkiewicz View Post
Is there a specific reason you're using the software? I just drag and drop the folders onto my external hard drive.
I burn all images to DVD when I start processing them.
Then usually burn the finished jpg's and web sized to a CD.

I use backup4all to backup everything to a USB drive, which I swap out with an identical drive to have one always off site.

the reason for using a program to backup is it does its thing on a schedule and decrimental bacups are much faster.
Weekend, backup everything. Each day backup only the files that have been added or changed.

Shooting digital has another advantage over film. We can duplicate the original image, or negative, which is really hard to do with film.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BobEdens Visit BobEdens's homepage! Find More Posts by BobEdens

Old 08-22-2007, 07:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36511

MichaelVest is offline IP: 68.110.214.51

Thanks everyone for the replys. Backing up takes a long time on my network. I was using the ntbackup.exe so that I could do incremental backups. When I work on a photo I want to make sure that there is a backup copy of the new version. So just backing up the changed files would work well. Dragging and droping files and folders works but you take a chance that it is not current or miss something.

I guess I will look into the backup4all software.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to MichaelVest Visit MichaelVest's homepage! Find More Posts by MichaelVest

Old 08-23-2007, 03:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42991
My Mood:

DocSmith is offline IP: 74.163.2.3

I use a passive online service named Mozy. Unlimited storage for $4.95 a month.

Doc
Gulf Breeze, Florida 32562
(850) 712-0639
www.michaelsmithphotography.biz

Studio One Pensacola
103 W. Intendencia Street
Pensacola, FL 32502
(850) 712-0639
www.studioonepensacola.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DocSmith Visit DocSmith's homepage! Find More Posts by DocSmith

Old 08-23-2007, 02:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43029

zytkiewicz is offline IP: 66.188.97.26

I actually use a few different ways. The RAW files and the final PSD files I drag and drop onto one of two 500GB external drives. One I keep in a waterproof fire resistant box, the other in my safe deposit box at the bank. When I'm finished with a set of pictures I copy it the drive on premises, take that drive to the bank, switch 'em, then copy again to the new drive.

For my personal files and finished JPEG's and TIFF's I use Carbonite.com. It continuously scans the folders I've selected and uploads files as they're added or changed. It can only upload about 2GB in 24 hours so I don't use it to back up everything.

You can sign up directly from their website or check out your local Sam's Club. It comes in a purple box that says Online PC Backup. It was only $38 and includes a one year subscription to Carbonite. That works out to about $3 a month, which is $2 less than buying it direct.
MM#84146
http://www.monkeymetal.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to zytkiewicz Visit zytkiewicz's homepage! Find More Posts by zytkiewicz

Old 08-23-2007, 11:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.122.151

I've never been impressed with ntbackup.exe which is part of Microsoft's backup utility. It always seem to develop problems. I use several strategies in my backups. Sometimes, just to make mirror images of large blocks of a hard drive, I use Norton Ghost. Most of the time I just follow a step by step process of backing up critical data. Suppose we're talking about photos. What I do is first copy the photos to the hard drive from the card. I then make a copy of the folder from the hard drive to an external hard drive. I now check the contents of folder on the hard drive and quickly examine each photo to make sure everything is okay and that all photos read correctly. I then make a second backup to a second external hard drive. When I have the three copies, I then consider it safe to put the CF card in the part of my camera bag that says its ready to be re-used. Before each shoot, I format each card that is in that part of my bag, in the camera.
I rotate the external hard drives so that some are at home and some away from home (I have 14 external hard drives at present). By the way, the external drives have become so cheap that you can easily afford several. I was just a Fry's Electronics earlier this week and they had 250gb drives for $79 and 500gbs for $149. There were also some 750gbs for $219. Often you'll see even better prices that these. Note: Its best with external drives to only have then powered up when actually in use. Don't leave them powered up all the time because they cooling of these external cases is not as good as a full size desktop unit provides.
I regularly go back to the external drives and move stuff back and forth between drives to keep in organized and to make sure I have adequate copies. I also take photos that have been worked on (PSD) and copy them off to a sub folder on the backup drives (under the original folder).
In addition to all this, I regularly ghost the entire hard drives to an external and I do not overwrite these ghost copies. Well that's the sketchy story.
The only think I backup to Internet servers is source code for websites that I work on. Each time I make changes I make another backup copy. So I always have several copies at home and several way from home including the one on the internet.
Bottom line --- come up with a good backup strategy and follow it.
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith