Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
2nd. carrywith camera...Canon G6 or G7?
Old 08-06-2007, 12:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37106
Comments: 29
My Mood:

RHWeiner is offline IP: 66.183.218.26

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'm tired of dragging around my 20D with my selection of lenses when I go out 'exploring' and so I'm looking for a second 'carry with' camera to have with me all the time. That way if my Muse taps me on the shoulder I don't have to say, "Oh crap...why didn't I have the camera with me?".

Although the other manufacturers have some interesting models I'd rather stick with Canon only because that's what I shoot and for off-camera flash compatibility. So having scoped out the models I'm leaning towards either the G6 or G7. There are pros and cons in both. Primary concern is availability of the G6 as my only source will now be 'used' or the occasional 'demo model'. The features of the G6 which I really liked (RAW and variable angle LCD monitor) were dropped in the G7. What I like in the G7 is the increased zoom range of the lens and DigiIII. The loss of the 'grip' from the G6 to the G7 makes me concerned that I'll drop the camera (I don't have big hands but even so the size of the camera is smaller than I'd like for holding). Those things aside I'm still bouncing back and forth in my mind on this. So I look here for opinions.

Given the choice would you go for the G6 or the G7?

Just to add to the dilema I'm also considering the S5 IS from Canon. It's decidely not a 'brick', a bit bulkier, less in the way of sensor pixel but it holds well and has a great zoom range. Plus it's also $100 less than the G7. But the techie I've talked to says the G7 has a better build to it.

Richard W.

Re: 2nd. carrywith camera...Canon G6 or G7?
Old 08-06-2007, 01:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.113.124

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I looked at the G7 and found the changes that they made to it basically robbed it of the most valuable features of the G6. Not having RAW is a major issue and not having the variable angle lcd. If I was looking for a walkaround camera, then I'd go with the S5 unless RAW was the critical issue, and then I'd go with the G6. The zoom range and image stablizer make this a great walkaround. Also the build quality is not that important for a walkaround camera. I'm still surprised at the features that Canon stripped from the G6 to G7.
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 08-06-2007, 03:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 57508
Comments: 0

wildepics is offline IP: 66.32.97.251

I'd go with the G6. I talked to a Canon rep a few months ago who was really unhappy with the lack of RAW on the G7, thought the Canon marketeers were way off base in doing that. Since all I shoot is RAW now, I would not do without it.

My "carry camera" is a G1 BTW. I've had it for about 5 years and, aside from the resolution, it is still working great. and it takes RAW, just a different version than the current.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to wildepics Find More Posts by wildepics

Old 08-06-2007, 03:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
I looked at the G7 and found the changes that they made to it basically robbed it of the most valuable features of the G6.
I know what you mean. But had Canon kept those 2 features...the RAW and the variable angle LCD...I think they would have drastically cut into their XT and XTi market. Hell, even keeping just the RAW capabilities would have done some damage. Then again I think they would have picked up on the photographers (such as myself) wanting a top notch carry with camera in addition to our big gear.

Having gone from JPG only to RAW&JPG to RAW only I think I would tend to lean towards a camera with RAW...but if I were to get things right 'in camera' then maybe the JPG aspect wouldn't be such an issue? Lightroom can handle JPGs so I've got *some* room for manuevering there.

So, bulk and less sensor pixels aside, the S5 does look more promising for my purposes...wider zoom range, still able to do macro, variable angle LCD, stereo movie mode, and capability for off camera flash. Plus the $100 savings will allow me to purchase a high capacity SD card to replace the ineffectual one that the camera comes with.

I've still got to ruminate on this more but all comments and suggestions will be read and weighed.

(Oh and I just thought of something...the local camera store is out of stock of S5 but still have some G7. Their stock of the S5 goes as fast as it comes in! Is this a telling sign?)

Old 08-22-2007, 12:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Well it looks like someone at Canon is listening...

The G9 was just announced....with RAW capabilities. So if the price is right I'll probably break down for this release.

Mind you they also announced the 40D as well and it looks enticing but that can wait until next summer. My 20D is still kicking it for me and the G9 will make a nice 'carry with' camera.

Of course I have to still figure out a way to get both the G9 and 40D by the wife.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39548
Comments: 15

Olli is offline IP: 72.148.110.43

If your looking for a carry all the time camera I would get one that would fit in your pocket. If it's not convinient you won't carry it. I use a G2 when traveling for my day job. It is definately too large as a carry in your pocket camera. If it won't fit in your pocket, might as well carry an SLR.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Olli Visit Olli's homepage! Find More Posts by Olli

Old 08-26-2007, 11:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

If the G9 is the G7 with RAW then I already know that it's probably going to be too big and heavy to slip into a shirt pocket but considering what it has going for it compared to even smaller cameras I'll find a way of carrying it with me. Size does matter in regards to abilities and features.

As it is I've held and played with a G7 in the store and worry that I'll find the G9 hard to handle. I don't have oversized hands but the camera feels like I need to maintain a death grip on it for fear of dropping it. There's a little rubber strip on the front of it where my right hand fingertips grasp the camera but it still feels like it could fall due to the weight. I guess I'm too used to my 20D with it's meaty body to hold. I'll probably look at getting some form of hand strap to make this work for me.

The addition of a strap will bulk it back up again so carrying in a pocket will be problematic. Oh well.

Old 08-26-2007, 04:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.122.151

The reviews of the G9 seem to suggest that they've made improvements in the grip. The G7 just had a poor grip design in my view. They got lots of complaints about that and apparently have listened to the complaints.

The G9 is not a "little" camera, but it will fit in a pants pocket (but not a shirt pocket). At 12 mega-pixels, and a 6x zoom and RAW, and Image stabilization, it would certainly serve as a nice walk around camera (and it does movies also). But one major difference that all these camera have from the dSLRs is the power up time. They are all positively sluggish compared to the almost instant on of most of our dSLRs. So you must factor that into your shooting style.
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 08-27-2007, 01:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

As they say..."In order to get something, you've got to give something else up". I've searched the usual websites for any indication of the (1)startup time and (2)any shutter lag. So far I've not seen anything (maybe it's still too early?) but if there is any lagging then it's something I'd just have to live with. "Spur of the Moment" and Action shots may be limited but, as you point out, look at what you do get in exchange...pretty impressive.

Mind you this is all moot until such time as I have one in my hands. In talking to my local shops it doesn't look like the G9 will show up anytime soon and may not be available to me until late October or November.