Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Bloodshot - Is there a better way?
Old 08-04-2007, 04:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
Comments: 0
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 76.186.39.68

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

How do you get rid of bloodshot eyes ... quickly and easily?

A relatively new model shows up with worst case of bloodshot eyes I've ever seen. She said she had a friend apply fake eyelashes before the shoot because she wasn't sure that the MUA I hired would have fake eyelashes. Unfortunately, the glue the "friend" used caused her eyes to get really bloodshot. If she was local, I'd probably have postponed the shoot, but since she flew in and paid my full rate, I was stuck shooting her as is.

I tried several of my standard techniques to whiten her eyes (adjust levels, adjust brightness, adjust saturation) but they all looked fake and left me with gray veins. The before and after below show what I finally ended up doing ... painting the whites with a white brush set to 25% opacity and building it up slowly. Since this takes a long time to accomplish ... anyone got a better technique?

View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Re: Bloodshot - Is there a better way?
Old 08-04-2007, 05:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.112.28

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photomart View Post
How do you get rid of bloodshot eyes ... quickly and easily?

A relatively new model shows up with worst case of bloodshot eyes I've ever seen. She said she had a friend apply fake eyelashes before the shoot because she wasn't sure that the MUA I hired would have fake eyelashes. Unfortunately, the glue the "friend" used caused her eyes to get really bloodshot. If she was local, I'd probably have postponed the shoot, but since she flew in and paid my full rate, I was stuck shooting her as is.

I tried several of my standard techniques to whiten her eyes (adjust levels, adjust brightness, adjust saturation) but they all looked fake and left me with gray veins. The before and after below show what I finally ended up doing ... painting the whites with a white brush set to 25% opacity and building it up slowly. Since this takes a long time to accomplish ... anyone got a better technique?

There are a lot of different ways to approach this. The one I use takes about 30 seconds. It works best on the full size resolution image, but I did a screen capture of your left image and did this example in about 30 seconds.

The steps are:

1. Use Lasso tool to select the whites of the eyes. You'll select the first white area, and then hold down shift key as you select the other white areas and that will make them all selected at once.
2. Feather the selection (I use 2).
3. Now open Adjustments, Hue and Saturation.
4. Select red at the top.
5. Slide the Saturation slider to left to taste.
6. Shift back to Master.
7. Slide Lightness slider to right to taste.

Do the work on a large resolution image. If done on a small image like the one I was working with you can't get nearly as good of result.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith