Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Wacom Tablet
Old 07-30-2007, 08:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55352
Comments: 14

Stecyk is offline IP: 68.146.57.71

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi,

I have the Intuos 6 x 8 tablet. After letting it sit idle for over a month, I tried using it last night and found it a bit clumsy. I suspect like most things, it takes a while to become accustomed to it.

For those that use a tablet, what do you like most about it? And how long did it take you to acclimatize to it? Are there any special pointers that you would give to someone just starting to use his tablet?

Best regards,
Kevin
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Stecyk Visit Stecyk's homepage! Find More Posts by Stecyk

Re: Wacom Tablet
Old 07-30-2007, 08:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 74.225.151.9

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Well I'm gonna be no help here, but I just ordered the same tablet today (we're required to have one for my Photoshop class this time), and I've heard it takes a little getting used to, too. I hope people reply, 'cause it'll help me out, too.
http://sambeasley.tumblr.com
http://www.lalluredesmots.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 07-30-2007, 09:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 54250
Comments: 0

CodeRaven is offline IP: 24.73.120.14

I don't have the Intuos (yet), I have a Graphire4. It took me about 2 to 3 weeks of using it to get a feel for it. I love it and want to get an Intuos, as that has more buttons to customize for favorite tools, functions, etc... I have pretty much stopped using my wireless Mighty Mouse. I feel that I have more control using a pen to make odd shaped selections in PS than using a mouse. The pen also 'feels' right in my hand, I don't get aching fingers from a ton of left and right mouse clicks. Give yourself some time to learn it, you will love it.

Scott
  View Public Profile Send a private message to CodeRaven Find More Posts by CodeRaven

Old 07-30-2007, 09:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 55352
Comments: 14

Stecyk is offline IP: 68.146.57.71

Thank you Sam. The more people that want advice, the more help we're likely to receive.

CodeRaven and Others: As I was attempting to using the Healing Brush Tool, I found the pen slower and more inefficient. I used the tablet alt button and selected a good area and then moved to the blemish. It took several iterations to remove the blemish. I then undid my work and tried my mouse. Alt Click the good area, click the blemish, and boom, job done. Is there something that jumps to mind as to why I required several iterations?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Stecyk Visit Stecyk's homepage! Find More Posts by Stecyk

Old 07-31-2007, 01:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42991
My Mood:

DocSmith is offline IP: 74.163.1.25

I use the 6x8 Intuos III tablet - but not for everything. Although the tablet can be customized for a lot of features, like all computer accessories, nothing does it all perfectly. I use the mouse to get into an image, then longcuts (menu clicks) and shortcuts to do global adjustments, then the pen to do fine retouching. I used Dragon Naturally Speaking (a computer voice command program) in my former life and I wonder if anyone has used it with Photoshop? Just use the pen and tablet for what they do best and don't sweat the rest.

Not a friend of the Pen Tool,
Doc
Gulf Breeze, Florida 32562
(850) 712-0639
www.michaelsmithphotography.biz

Studio One Pensacola
103 W. Intendencia Street
Pensacola, FL 32502
(850) 712-0639
www.studioonepensacola.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DocSmith Visit DocSmith's homepage! Find More Posts by DocSmith

Old 07-31-2007, 02:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 59342

peter.s. is offline IP: 85.24.216.63

I have one too and it took a while to get used to it but now it's invaluable. I have the wacom right in front of me, the keyboard between the wacom and the display and a regular mouse to the right of the wacom.

I remember I didn't really realize in the beginning that the tablet only reacts to the mouse so you can place your hands and whatever just like you would on a piece of paper.

The major difference between the mouse and the pen is that the pen is pressure sensitive and the mouse is not. So when you remove blemishes you need to press harder or select a larger brush compared to using the mouse. You can set pressure sensitivity both in photoshop and in the settings for the wacom.

I also use the filt pen because it is smoother and easier to use IMHO.

Peter
  View Public Profile Send a private message to peter.s. Find More Posts by peter.s.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54742

Zipper7 is offline IP: 67.166.228.133

I have a Wacom Intuos tablet and I find it a wonderful tool. When I first got it I thought that I would not need a mouse anymore, but it turns out like Doc said that you end up using the mouse for things like menu selections, general large area painting, and things that require more broad, courser movements.

The pen, on the other hand, is much nicer for more specific, finer type movements like drawing in eyelashes, adding back hair from where it got removed during an Extract type operation, and anytime that you need to draw in a freehand line. One of the tricks is to use the different pen styles that vary with pressure. Some pen styles vary the width of the line with varying pressure, and this is nice for things like eyelashes, and other pen styles vary the opacity with pen pressure, and this is nice for doing things like lightening the areas under the eyes.

Not that I'm any good at it, but when the pen is set up for airbrush you can even get a different pattern based upon the tilt of the pen while you are airbrushing something in.

I think with a little time and use that you will start finding quite a few areas that you will use the pen, and that the mouse will feel clumsy to you then.

PTL,
Lee
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Zipper7 Find More Posts by Zipper7

Old 07-31-2007, 08:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 43624
Comments: 4
Send a message via MSN to numee

numee is offline IP: 72.155.232.117

I have the Intuos 3...it has become as important to my editing as the computer....
Took bout two wks. to get use to...have had it for three years.
Great tool....]
Regards,
  View Public Profile Send a private message to numee Find More Posts by numee

Old 07-31-2007, 10:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 56870
Comments: 3

BobEdens is offline IP: 66.18.61.18

The problem some of you have described is with the pen pressure. Its like drawing with a felt tip, the harder you press the bolder the line.

Try this, open a photo and open a mask layer. set the brush to 200 hardness to zero. now practice lightly going in the cracks and bear down when youve got room. I practiced with this for a couple of hours to get the feel of it and rarely have to change brush sizes now.

Cant do mouse things with the tablet either, I set my track-ball on the tablet and beside when I'm using it. also don't let the pen too near the tablet when you're not using it. (Like holding it with your thumb while using the track ball, causes the cursor to do wierd things..[grin].)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BobEdens Visit BobEdens's homepage! Find More Posts by BobEdens

Old 07-31-2007, 11:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 51476
Comments: 1

Jan Barie is offline IP: 206.45.175.51

I have used the Intuos 3 9x12 tablet for about 18 months. As said by others it is an invaluable tool especially for quick selections, cutting & pasting, but I still use the mouse for some functions (mostly cloning). The mouse that comes with the tablet has collected dust since day one!
The tablet takes a few weeks to get a feel for it, but is well worth it as will save you a lot of time and frustration in the end. It also helps with arthritic knuckles and fingers, caused by many years of using a mouse!
Stick with it...you'll love it in the end!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jan Barie Visit Jan Barie's homepage! Find More Posts by Jan Barie