Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Password protected directory question..
Old 07-29-2007, 06:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50518
Comments: 1
My Mood:

That_Look_Photo is offline IP: 68.200.100.150

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I was asked by a person I shot with if my password protected directory was secure enough that it would keep google from getting her images and listing them on there image search listing. How can I be sure it will block google and everything else? Is there a way to test it ?

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photo Visit That_Look_Photo's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photo

Re: Password protected directory question..
Old 07-29-2007, 07:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 46114
Comments: 0

dledeaux is offline IP: 75.1.77.69

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Like on a website? If you have control over the website (like it's not a flickr or smugmug or something) look here: http://www.robotstxt.org/wc/robots.html

Search engines are required to obey certain rules and if a website operator doesn't want their website or certain sections of their website indexed then they use a robots.txt file to exclude things.

Beyond that no search engine has any special capability in retrieving a web page than a normal browser. If you require a password to get to a a page then google does too. So provided there aren't any ways around that password that a normal browser could take then neither can google.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dledeaux Visit dledeaux's homepage! Find More Posts by dledeaux

Old 07-29-2007, 08:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

thanks..
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photo Visit That_Look_Photo's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photo

Old 07-30-2007, 12:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.120.5

Check out this link which tells you how to use the Google tools to see how Google views your site. You need to sign up for a Google account (free) and the services mentioned in the link are free.

http://www.netregistry.com.au/news/a...ees/Page1.html

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 07-30-2007, 04:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
glamourpics

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 76.173.245.75

QUESTION ASKED BY OUR COLLEAGUE: I was asked by a person I shot with if my password protected directory was secure enough that it would keep google from getting her images and listing them on there image search listing. How can I be sure it will block google and everything else? Is there a way to test it ?

I RESPOND:
Several learned colleagues provided technically-correct info. A bigger problem, though, is that some visitors may thoughtlessly or maliciously take your photos, and send them to "public" places, such as newsgroups, or P2P file-copying networks, or websites stocked with viewer-contributed photos. This means that Google and others will have free access to your photos.

At those places, your photos will eventually be discovered by Google's search-and-retrieve bots. Google ignores embedded watermarks and visible copyright notices. Google will then create and start serving thumbnails, and cause the full-size images to be sent to anyone who wants them. Even if you give Google a takedown order, using their onerous and privacy-violating procedure, the damage has already been done. And Google will NOT leave a standing "order" in its software to stop using that photo, when it encounters the same photo at the same site(s) or in other locales.

Google's and similar business models are a continuing issue in copyright, and according to victims, a continuing issue with Google and other business models which use photos without getting permission. While the issues may eventually be resolved, at this time, anyone putting any image on the web should assume that Google and many similar and other infringement-based business models, WILL, directly or indirectly violate copyright and enable massive infringement by users of Google and other companies and websites.

And how does it feel, that you spend time, energy, money, developing your skills and making nice photos ... and then they're borrowed, for profit, by infringers?

There's an old saying infringers use to justify their acts: "Information wants to be free." An infringer at a trade show joked with me, "Photos want to be infringed."

Last edited by glamourpics; 07-30-2007 at 04:09 PM.. Reason: Formatted incorrectly

Old 07-30-2007, 05:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.120.5

The original post was about whether the password protection was adequate and whether it protected the images from being indexed by search engines. It is entirely adequate as the SEs cannot read any folder on a server that is password protected. It is unlikely the model would choose to take any photos she didn't want indexed and post them publicly, so the protection desired, which was for her benefit is still sound. If she chooses to share the password with people who are unprincipled, then that is her decision. I have used the password protected folder method for sharing photos with models for many years and have never seen a problem. The photos never appeared in the search engine. By the way Google and the other SEs do not ignore embedded copyright notices or those on the image itself for the simple reason that they never see them. The spider is only dealing with text information and the only way a SE know an image is there is by the extension. So when it sees JPG, or GIF, or PNG, etc, it then creates a thumbnail and an index entry. 99% of all commercial sites are very happy to have this indexed done because it drives traffic to their site and that is what is desired.
But anytime you don't want the indexing to occur, you simply flag the folders you want kept private using the robots.txt file or password protecting the folder. Both work very well. =

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 07-30-2007, 05:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

thanks..She will be happy about it..I figured it was the best way to do it.