Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Studio workflow
Old 06-23-2007, 08:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36369
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to tommymc

tommymc is offline IP: 64.12.116.210

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'd like to here about how everyone shoots. That is in the studio shooting in raw to print. WB setup, working with the raw image. What software programs to convert or working with the raw image to print. I cant seem to set up a good flow with raw. It seems to take me forever to get back to what I got in jpeg. I shoot with canon.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to tommymc Visit tommymc's homepage! Find More Posts by tommymc

Re: Studio workflow
Old 06-23-2007, 10:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35541

photoaz is offline IP: 67.161.152.126

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymc View Post
I'd like to here about how everyone shoots. That is in the studio shooting in raw to print. WB setup, working with the raw image. What software programs to convert or working with the raw image to print. I cant seem to set up a good flow with raw. It seems to take me forever to get back to what I got in jpeg. I shoot with canon.

It really does start in camera.

Exposure first. Good metering and attention to detail
WB, I use a Digital Gray Card (DGC) and yes I do shoot in RAW. First shot is of the DGC for each change in the light set up.

Once I am back at the computer the first thing I do is burn a copy of all files to a CD. No editing, no rotating, just a straight burn for safety and to get a good night sleep. This backup goes into the file along with the model release and any notes.

When I am ready to set up the folder in the computer I make up the master folder with the last name and date (smith072007) and under this master I import the files from CS 3, I rename them and put the metadata info on each one for copyright and model name info. Also under this master file is a folder called extra with the scanned model release and emails plus any other notes.

Open the files in Bridge and look at the RAW images. Pull all the ones done under the same lighting and open in Adobe Raw Converter (ARC) and do the adjustments necessary. If you want to have some jpeg proofs then just go to Tools>Photoshop and save a copy into another folder called proofs.

At this point if there are a few images you really want to work on open them in Photoshop, do the layers, filters and adjustment thing and save into another folder called PSD.

Once everything is done then you can copy to a DVD and put this next to the backup CD and file in that shoebox under your bed or a file.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.115.18

Quote:
There is really very little difference in the overall workflow. You do all the same things when shooting the photo that you do for JPG (set good WB, get the exposure as close to right on as you can, good composition, etc).

At this point you have a card full of RAW photos. If you have your RAW converter's defaults set up properly, then when you view the photo in the RAW converter, it should look about like the JPG would have looked right from the camera. If it doesn't look that way, then you probably don't have the defaults set for your Camera and/or working style.

If you have the right software, you can extract the embedded JPG that is in the RAW file and look at it to see how it compares (I use BreezeBrowser to do this, but there are other apps that will work).

I've already given my RAW workflow here:

http://www.glamour1.com/forums/digit...low#post219883

I currently use Photoshop CS3 and the ACR (RAW converter) that comes with that. I've found it to be the most powerful and straightforward to use. The above link is with CS or CS2 (I don't remember off hand).

If you need to calibrate CS3's ACR to your camera, then you can do this more or less automatically with a Macbeth Color card and this link:

http://www.fors.net/chromoholics/

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 06-23-2007, 01:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36369
Send a message via AIM to tommymc

tommymc is offline IP: 152.163.101.6

By the way, Did you get my pm
  View Public Profile Send a private message to tommymc Visit tommymc's homepage! Find More Posts by tommymc

Old 06-23-2007, 01:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.199.115.18

Quote:
By the way, Did you get my pm
No, I didn't get a pm from you.
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith