Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Totally sick of this problem!
Old 05-16-2003, 08:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kurt_Gearheart

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 68.35.11.25

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Problem: it looks one way on my monitor, and then God-knows-how when I print it out.

Since the beginning of time, my solution has been to waste paper and ink. I compare what's on the screen (perfect!), and what came out of the printer (frequently crap), and tweak the image (guesswork), and reprint. If it's close enough, it is. If it ain't, tweak a 2nd time, print a 3rd time, and usually it's OK. On a bad day, a 3rd tweak and 4th print are needed.

OK. I have a vague notion that this is all about "color profiles". I'm loathe to cram more data in my middle-aged brain, (too much going on already), and I'm ultra loathe to spend ANY money getting an aging monitor and an aging printer to agree.

Should I bother deaing with this prior to upgrading the monitor and printer?

Are there any FREE online resources to even improve this situation?

If the solution is "Spend lots of money on hardware and software, and you'll get the results you want", I'll accept that for now.

Help.

(I won't even get into being unable to get a true BLACK print!)

Re: Totally sick of this problem!
Old 05-16-2003, 11:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35467
Comments: 0

huvola is offline IP: 12.210.165.128

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

What computer are you using?

Mac or PC?

The short answer is that if you REALY want accurate color profiling, your going to have to spend some money and time.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to huvola Find More Posts by huvola

Old 05-16-2003, 11:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35829

hlmphotog is offline IP: 64.12.96.9

Hi, Hugh from San Antonio..it would help to know what profiles are available in your camera, in your software and your printer. If you have them set the same and you don't want to calibrate them, then which way is the tweaking going? Are you starting off with flat washed out prints. Most ink jet printers fired up with photoshop require increased saturation to get good print result. And I mean saturation increases to the point of distaste on your monitor...caution don't save the increase because it is only for printing on your home printer. I am assuming you like the results you get from your lab. try this...set up your image to your satisfaction on your monitor. Increase your saturation in 10% increments until you get to the desired printer output. For me it's 14% with an Epson2000p...good luck. There are generally techs who will calibrate your system for a small fee..just check with your lab for their names etc. It is easily recouped in paper and ink savings. Most pro labs calibrate in house, but a lot of them use tech consultants that do this type of calibration regularly.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to hlmphotog Visit hlmphotog's homepage! Find More Posts by hlmphotog

Old 05-17-2003, 10:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35579
Send a message via Yahoo to debergy

debergy is offline IP: 12.239.230.233

Kurt

Check out the following two books as reference materials.

1. Mastering Digital Printing by Harald Johnson (Muska & Lipman)

2. Real World Color Management by Bruce Fraser,Chris Murphy and Fred Bunting
Peachpit Press.

3. Professional Photoshop The classical guide to color correction by Dan Margulis. Alternate point of view regarding Color Management.

More than enough information to keep you busy.

Profile your monitor.

Make sure you are not double profiling your printer.

Sites for more informaiton.

http://www.westcoastimaging.com/

http://www.outbackphoto.com/index.html

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/

No there is no easy way. You may stumble upon a correct solution but when things go wrong you want to be able to troubleshoot.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile.

View Public Profile Send a private message to debergy Find More Posts by debergy

Color profiling and color workflow
Old 05-17-2003, 11:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
GG_Staff

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 67.85.66.65

Kurt, your first obstacle is to have a monitor that is ABLE to be profiled. Monitors over time eventually cannot get bright enough and thus cannot be 100% profiled. Putting that aside, assuming your monitor can be profiled, you could somewhat profile with Adobe Gamma (included with Photoshop) on a PC or the Mac profiling software (built into the Mac). What I would suggest is you purchase something like the Spyder Optical. It sells for less than $300. This will give you 100% accurate colors on your monitor. Now that it looks good for you on the monitor, you naturally want the exact same thing to come out of your printer. So you will need to print with a profile made exactly to match your printer, paper and ink combination. If you print to a Fuji Frontier (available in many Sams clubs and Walmart and local print shops) you can obtain profiles from http://www.drycreekphoto.com (also a good resource for information). If you are printing to another source (that is an RGB inkjet type) then I'd suggest you save yourself TONS of aggravation and just buy a custom profile for your setup from http://www.cathysprofiles.com. I have used a couple of the cheapo printer profiles like Profile Prism and quite frankly they give horrible results. You really don't need to worry about profiling your camera. Until very recently, getting all the information you need to fully understand color management workflow was reading plenty of material from a variety of sources and try to figure out how it all plays into my workflow. Assuming your monitor is profileable then the cost to profile/calibrate your monitor and get a profile for two paper/ink combos would be less than $400. I paid at least $200 for books and "toys" to just explain this all to me over the last year and half. If you have a fairly common inkjet/paper and use the manufactors ink, you might be able to find a profile for your printer/paper/ink. It will most likely be satisfactory to you but to obtain best results you would want them made for your printer because each printer is slightly different. You will however want/need to profile your monitor. That is an absolute MUST.

Thank you Sir!
Old 05-18-2003, 11:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Kurt_Gearheart

Member GG#:
Comments:

This gets me in the area of info I needed!

Appreciado muchisimo!

Thanks!
Old 05-18-2003, 11:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Kurt_Gearheart

Member GG#:
Comments:

I appreciate the help, this IS helpful.

Thanks.
Old 05-18-2003, 11:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Kurt_Gearheart

Member GG#:
Comments:

Actually no probs with saturation, more of a color problem... have to remove blue and add red etc... the other replies have got me off to a long-term solution.

Yep you\'re right
Old 05-18-2003, 11:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Kurt_Gearheart

Member GG#:
Comments:

Gotta spend money and time etc... thanks!