Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Print color has too much red???
Old 05-23-2007, 07:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54142
Comments: 0

Kejacobson is offline IP: 70.178.181.63

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey all,

Having a problem printing my images. They all seem to have too much of a red color (Doesn't match my screen at all). And they also seem a little darker. I'm using a Newer Dell desktop with a Dell 24 in lcd. My printer is a Canon Pixma IP6600D. And I'm using PS 7. According to all 3 components they are set at SRGB. I can't seem to figure out what is causing this red tint...any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

KJ
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Kejacobson Visit Kejacobson's homepage! Find More Posts by Kejacobson

Re: Print color has too much red???
Old 05-23-2007, 07:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35230
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to glennusdin Send a message via Yahoo to glennusdin

glennusdin is offline IP: 74.92.121.113

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

is your monitor calibrated?

is your printer settings in accordance with your workflow?

is your printer output settings correct for the paper you are using?

did you turn printer color management "off" when you print from PS?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to glennusdin Visit glennusdin's homepage! Find More Posts by glennusdin

Old 05-23-2007, 08:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

I believe my monitor is calibrated. I'm using a nivea gforce 6000 graphics card and I used the Adobe gamma to calibrate it. I'm showing photoshop workspace as rgb:srgd. Which is the same as the printer. I have the profile set to web graphics.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Kejacobson Visit Kejacobson's homepage! Find More Posts by Kejacobson

Old 05-23-2007, 09:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

first of all sRGB is not the optimum color space for anything BUT the web. Adobe 1998 RGB is preferred right now, but even that is going to change with some new protocols. But sRGB is a very limited colorspace for web monitors.

next, you can't believe the monitor is calibrated. Either you do it every month or you don't. If you don't have a calibration device and run it every 30-60 days, there is no reason to go any further with color management and print making.

Everything you are doing in comparing the images on your monitor to how you want them to print is centered upon the calibration of a fixed color value of the monitor. You make the image look good on your monitor, but if the monitor colors are floating in space, your printer had no idea what you are trying to achieve.

You also need to shoot a color card in every series you shoot, and then you can batch correct the images from the same lighting set-up by adjusting the black, gray, and white swatches on the card to your monitor.

BUT, none of this means anything if the monitor is not calibrated and up to date. The monitor is the centerpiece of the whole deal because you are using that as your "judge" of correct color. Until you do the monitor, your prints are going to be trial and error. Color management is a difficult concept, but its the keystone of digital photography. You gotta learn the basics.

Also, why would set the printer to web graphics when you are printing? The destination source should be the type of paper you are printing on, and the color profile for the paper must be exact for each paper surface.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to glennusdin Visit glennusdin's homepage! Find More Posts by glennusdin

Old 05-23-2007, 09:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 58817

mssmison is offline IP: 24.71.39.206

I have this with my canon as well. Are you using canon paper? and are you using canon inks?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mssmison Find More Posts by mssmison

Old 05-24-2007, 05:17 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Yes...my monitor is calibrated with the software I have (Adobe gamma). Secondly, I had some people look at my images on thier computers and they saw no red tint. Therefore it is the printer. I did switch Adobe from web graphics to adobe rgb1998 and that seemed to have fixed the problem.

Thanks for all the input.

KJ

Old 05-24-2007, 07:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

you didn't fix the problem at all, you are still in hit or miss mode, but good luck.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 68.127.93.253

Ok, I think this was touched on already, but deserves to be brought up again. Make sure that you turn OFF your printer's color management so that you are using Photoshop's color management.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37608

Mark_Oehler is offline IP: 12.226.25.40

Glenn:

Are you sure about the Adobe RGB v. sRBG? My understanding is that only a few printers out there are Adobe RGB. Most labs and inkjets out there are sRGB. You find most of the offset press stuff is Adobe.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Mark_Oehler Visit Mark_Oehler's homepage! Find More Posts by Mark_Oehler

Old 05-25-2007, 08:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Most Fuji Frontier labs are using sRGB because the majority of the consumers who buy prints are bringing in digital files that are in sRGB colorspace from consumer cameras.

High end inkjets, such as Epson, Canon, and the other pro printers can use whatever color format you send to them. The key is the color gamut and matching everything all down the line, which is the color range. sRGB is far smaller, why limit your range when you spend all that money on a digital camera that captures tons of colors.

sRGB (Satanic RGB) was developed by HP for low end consumer digital cameras and printers. Its the preferred space for web because monitors are sRGB. Everything else should be Adobe RGB or DNG (digital negative).

If you go on PS and do a soft proof, you can approximate what your print or final version of printed material should look like. You'll see that SWOP (most offset print presses) doesn't even come close to what you see on your monitor, so you are going to loose tons of color on a printed piece from what you see on the monitor. You can get software which will show you the gamut (range) of color and if the image has more gamut than the final capability of the print process, the colors just won't be there. The desired effect is to have the gamut of the image match the gamut of the media so you are not loosing colors. sRGB has the smallest gamut of all color spaces, so you often aren't capturing colors you could use later. Why discard info before it can be used?

Bottom line still lies in monitor calibration monthly. If you don't have an exterior calibration device, your monitor is all over the place and you'll never be able to match your prints to your monitor with any certainty. You might get close some days, but you'll never have managed color.