Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Perspective Control
Old 05-23-2007, 12:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 58833
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to RainofStars

RainofStars is offline IP: 24.165.88.100

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi All,

I have a quick question about perspective control. In many glamour/fashion photographs, I've noticed there are sometimes frames or buildings in the background. When sending the image for publication, does one use perspective control and fix the lines (sides) in the buildings or the door frames behind the model so that they are aligned parallel to the sides of the image, or do we leave it alone?

Sincerely,
Jey
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RainofStars Find More Posts by RainofStars

Re: Perspective Control
Old 05-23-2007, 02:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainofStars View Post
Hi All,

I have a quick question about perspective control. In many glamour/fashion photographs, I've noticed there are sometimes frames or buildings in the background. When sending the image for publication, does one use perspective control and fix the lines (sides) in the buildings or the door frames behind the model so that they are aligned parallel to the sides of the image, or do we leave it alone?

Sincerely,
Jey
I think the answer is --- it depends. For example, if you fix the lines what will it do to he primary subject (if it makes them lean, then that might not be a good thing to do). Will the fix cause distortion? That might not be desirable. Is it very noticeable or only incidental? These and many other question may need to be considered in making the final decision.

Why not post an example to your portfolio and then perhaps we can expand the discussion. Here are two examples:

http://www.glamour1.com/photoplog/index.php?n=40
Framing of above shot of Candace is unstraightened.

Click for larger version

Shot of Haley is more or less straight.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 05-23-2007, 03:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

I do not have an item from my portfolio regarding this. But, in the picture you posted. If you follow the left side of the image and the right side of the image, the door behind the model's back and the windows of the structure on the left. All the windows are aligned except for the one that is on the far left and the sides of the door seems to slant as well. On the right side of the image (if you follow the upper right quadrant, there is a vertical line that is to the right of the sign 17 Errors, which is not parallel to the right side of the image). Should one fix these small imperfections before sending out the picture? (or in case are those fixes unnecessary?)

Also I note that the signs in this picture are very integral to the placement of the model. Except for those lines which I was talking about, the picture is somewhat remarkable.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RainofStars Find More Posts by RainofStars

Old 05-23-2007, 04:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainofStars View Post
I do not have an item from my portfolio regarding this. But, in the picture you posted. If you follow the left side of the image and the right side of the image, the door behind the model's back and the windows of the structure on the left. All the windows are aligned except for the one that is on the far left and the sides of the door seems to slant as well. On the right side of the image (if you follow the upper right quadrant, there is a vertical line that is to the right of the sign 17 Errors, which is not parallel to the right side of the image). Should one fix these small imperfections before sending out the picture? (or in case are those fixes unnecessary?)

Also I note that the signs in this picture are very integral to the placement of the model. Except for those lines which I was talking about, the picture is somewhat remarkable.
That is sort of the point of what I was saying. It will depend on the photo and where its to be printed. But in my example, there are so many lines from various building components that you could never get them all vertical or horizontal (and you wouldn't want to). I tend to not bother with any but the most obvious lines.
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 05-23-2007, 11:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Okay, that makes better sense now. Thank you for replying. I appreciate it.