Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
APPLE USERS PLEASE HELP! (Color Calibration)
Old 05-22-2007, 11:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54067
Comments: 0

Jaen_Paul is offline IP: 68.190.243.175

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

PC Users are welcome too. I just switched everything to Mac and am going through the growing pains. I used the colorsync software that came withy the Mac for my color and brightness calibration, picked up the prints and they all look like sh*t. Under exposed, really contrasty and no shadow details. But they look great in photoshop. I'm using the sRGB colorspace because that is what my lab told me to use. Should I use a preset color space on my monitor? (Adobe 1998, sRGB, Apple Color, etc) I just don't know what to do. I purchased a Colorvision Spyder. After it goes through it's process it asks me to save new ICC Profile and after I hit "save" it says "Profile not saved...error" and the program shuts off. The one time it did let me save the profile the whole screen was purple. Also, the color on my lab top and cinema display don't match. Any help would be great, web sites I could read and the like. I've attached a self portrait. The background should be Candy Apple Red or close to it. That's what it looks like on my Cinema Display. Please let me know.

Thank you all so much

JP

View Public Profile Send a private message to Jaen_Paul Find More Posts by Jaen_Paul

Re: APPLE USERS PLEASE HELP! (Color Calibration)
Old 05-23-2007, 03:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41719
Send a message via AIM to srwatters Send a message via Yahoo to srwatters

srwatters is offline IP: 65.197.247.151

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

First, don't over-think your problem. It's a Mac and the solutions are usually very straight forward and sometimes PC switchers (I did about three years ago) try too hard...

Back to your problems. Forget the Apple ColorSync utility if you have a Spyder. Is your user account an administrator? If not that may be your first problem. The Spyder software is trying to write the icc profile into the system library folder and if you aren't an administrator, then no dice.

I use the Gretag Macbeth Eye One to calibrate my PowerBook, iMac, and Mac Pro. They all look nearly identical with my images so you should be able to get the same results with your Colorvision Spyder.

With regard to color space. I do all my master edits in 16 bit ProPhoto, then down convert (using edit->convert to profile) to Adobe RGB 8 bit for preparation to print. Never use "assign to profile" as that will give you unexpected results. If you really want to be fully color managed, then you need to download printer/paper profiles from your lab. You can use Photoshop's soft proofing to adjust the image so that it will look as close to your display version as possible. I say close, because most printers can't reproduce the full gamut that we see on the monitor.

You really should get a book called 'Real World Color Management' which will give you much more detail than anyone on the forum can do.

Good luck!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to srwatters Visit srwatters's homepage! Find More Posts by srwatters

Old 05-26-2007, 10:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54067

Jaen_Paul is offline IP: 68.190.243.175

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into that book.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jaen_Paul Find More Posts by Jaen_Paul

Old 05-29-2007, 02:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54384

IanW is offline IP: 84.13.85.155

Try www.computer-darkroom.com.
Enter the site then click on 'feature articles & essays'
There is an article on Mac calibration I found helpful.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to IanW Find More Posts by IanW

Old 05-30-2007, 07:05 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 49523

Steve_Buchanan is offline IP: 207.255.182.43

Apple has a fairly comprehensive color tutorial at...

http://www.apple.com/pro/color/

I also use a spyder 2 and have had good results. A good analogy is to think of your monitor as you did your chromes (for you film folks) and the prints as, well prints. The color gamut on your monitor is much larger than that of any print. Photoshop does a pretty good job of soft proofing but there's always going to be some discrepancies.

As far as your monitor calibration goes, make sure you have the most current version of the software (check their website) and when using the calibration tool make sure the colorimeter stays in good contact with the screen. On mine I have to tilt the screen back a little so gravity holds it down.

Good luck

SB

Old 06-01-2007, 08:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Aspiring Photographer

Member GG#: 50625

CatCynic is offline IP: 220.253.20.159

I bought a MacBook Pro after my XP laptop was stolen, and found that I enjoyed using it for PhotoShop (I was away from home for a month - couldn't go a whole month without editing an image!). So I replaced my main PhotoShop machine (which was perfectly acceptable) with a Mac Pro so I had the same environment. I like it.

I calibrate both my laptop and the Mac Pro using a Gretag Macbeth Eye One Display II. On the laptop I do a software calibration using the Gretag Macbeth software - works fine. On the Mac Pro I am running Eizo CG monitors, so I use Eizo's Colour Navigator (which works very well with Gretag Macbeth hardware) - that does an excellent job. The coolest part about Colour Navigator is that it works at the hardware level, calibrating the Eizo hardware so that it becomes, effectively, a "perfect" display.

I've had no problems with failure to save calibrations with either setup.

Oh, and I tell PhotoShop to print with PhotoShop controlling the colours and using a profile for the printer/paper combination - I don't use ColorSync there, either.

BTW: bear in mind that the printout is supposed to match the screen only when viewed under particular lighting conditions (D65, I think it's called) - something like a match for a sunny day. Normal indoor lighting will make the print look dull and lifeless.