Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Should I clean my senser in my 20D ?
Old 05-06-2007, 08:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50518
Comments: 1
My Mood:

That_Look_Photo is offline IP: 68.200.100.150

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I have had my 20D for about a year now. I have never cleaned the senser yet. I don't see any specs on it but I feel the images should be much cleaner and sharper. I have seen work from some of the other photographers on here with tack sharp images shot with the 20D. I can't reach the level of the work that I have seen on here. I have been working on this for a while and all I can think is that my senser might be dirty or something.

All that was done to this image was a resize. I think out of the camera it should look better. I have the sharpness set above normal in the camera.

This was a prom shoot. My niece wanted a few pictures before they left.

View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photo Visit That_Look_Photo's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photo

Re: Should I clean my senser in my 20D ?
Old 05-06-2007, 08:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

[quote=That_Look_Photo;250561]I have had my 20D for about a year now. I have never cleaned the senser yet. I don't see any specs on it but I feel the images should be much cleaner and sharper. I have seen work from some of the other photographers on here with tack sharp images shot with the 20D. I can't reach the level of the work that I have seen on here. I have been working on this for a while and all I can think is that my senser might be dirty or something.

All that was done to this image was a resize. I think out of the camera it should look better. I have the sharpness set above normal in the camera.

QUOTE]

There is no need to guess whether your 20D needs cleaning. Just set the camera to f22 and shoot a full frame shot of a white wall or a piece of paper. Load it into Photoshop and examine it at 100%. If you see spots on it, each spot is likely sensor dust, etc.

As for out of the camera shots --- there are lots of things one can do. One thing is to watch your posing. The background clashes with the subjects with bars running into heads, etc. If you had posed the shot differently you could have mostly gotten rid of the bars in the background. Still there is nothing wrong with this shot as a snapshot to remember the occasion.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 05-06-2007, 09:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50518
Comments: 1
My Mood:

That_Look_Photo is offline IP: 68.200.100.150

[quote=R_Fredrick_Smith;250563]
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Look_Photo View Post
I have had my 20D for about a year now. I have never cleaned the senser yet. I don't see any specs on it but I feel the images should be much cleaner and sharper. I have seen work from some of the other photographers on here with tack sharp images shot with the 20D. I can't reach the level of the work that I have seen on here. I have been working on this for a while and all I can think is that my senser might be dirty or something.

QUOTE]

There is no need to guess whether your 20D needs cleaning. Just set the camera to f22 and shoot a full frame shot of a white wall or a piece of paper. Load it into Photoshop and examine it at 100%. If you see spots on it, each spot is likely sensor dust, etc.

As for out of the camera shots --- there are lots of things one can do. One thing is to watch your posing. The background clashes with the subjects with bars running into heads, etc. If you had posed the shot differently you could have mostly gotten rid of the bars in the background. Still there is nothing wrong with this shot as a snapshot to remember the occasion.

Cheers,
rfs
Hi,
This shot was a last minute thing and they wanted to have the pictures taken there. The camera was on full auto and I just hit the shutter. I just feel the camera should output a better cleaner image. It seems like a hardware problem to me.

An example of what I want from my 20D is here. Bobby G shot the images with a 20D. This got me thinking about what the problem could be.
http://www.glamour1.com/forums/main-...st-sunday.html
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photo Visit That_Look_Photo's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photo

Old 05-06-2007, 09:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45671
Comments: 0

gaborm is offline IP: 65.88.96.141

Ask him to show you the raw images out of his camera for comparison.
You might be surprised, how clean your sensor really is.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to gaborm Find More Posts by gaborm

Old 05-06-2007, 10:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 52074

Jim M. is offline IP: 68.102.186.27

I don't think you will see an oveall deminished sharpness with sensor dust. I think the lens is more likely to be the culprit.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Jim M. Find More Posts by Jim M.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:04 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Quote:
This shot was a last minute thing and they wanted to have the pictures taken there. The camera was on full auto and I just hit the shutter. I just feel the camera should output a better cleaner image. It seems like a hardware problem to me.

An example of what I want from my 20D is here. Bobby G shot the images with a 20D. This got me thinking about what the problem could be.
A photograph is made up of a number of elements. The photographer can, if he chooses control most of these. If you are shooting JPG with your 20D, then you are leaving many of the choices ultimately to the camera. You can set sharpness, contrast and color and also White balance. If you choose the optimums for a given scene, and you pose the scene correctly and you choose the correct exposure, then you'll get the type of photos you mention BobbyG taking. But keep in mind that he did take control of his scenes. He posed them correctly and the used light modifiers to get what he wanted. You basically took a snapshot. If I had shot the same prom scene you did with the background that you've used, I would have posed it differently and exposed it differently. I would have moved the girl in yellow closer to the rest of the girls and made the group tighter. I would have moved them to the right some to get rid of the bar running through the girl in yellow's hair. I would have then framed it to zoom in on the girls more. Now without seeing the rest of the room, I can't say how I would have tackled the best possible shot in this situation. I would have pumped the contrast a bit, and changed the color balance. I would have tried to hide the poles behind the girls and then probably cloned out the poles that would show up behind one or two of them. Lot's of possibilities.
But to really analyse what you want to accomplish, you need to tell us specifically what you don't like about the photo. If you want more contrast, you can add that in the camera. If you want better WB, you can change that in the camera. If you think the exposure is off, you can control that. If you think the lighting is uneven, you can change that. And so forth.
But you started off by talking about a dirty sensor and yet the photo does not have problems that I can see relative to a dirty sensor.
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 05-06-2007, 10:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 52386

Arkie is offline IP: 75.120.135.58

One thing that a lot of amateur photographers don't do is keep the cap on the back of a lens when it is off of the camera. I even had a lady who had a studio for several years come to me with blurry pictures. I cleaned the back element of her lens and the pictures were sharp again. On the othr hand, if the lens is never taken off of the camera, the sensor and the back of the lens should be clean...but maybe the front element is dirty. If he is using a skylight filter on the front to eliminate damage, it may be time to either clean or replace it.
One last thought...is it possible the shutter speed is not fast enough or that the camera is expeiencing some shake during exposure. A steady hand can make a big difference too. Rick from Arkansas "Arkie"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Arkie Find More Posts by Arkie

Old 05-19-2007, 08:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36777
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to StanTom

StanTom is offline IP: 24.239.85.58

I don't think you are talking about a sensor problem.
I too have thought ( and asked ) about why my camera doesn't seem to take as 'sharp' of photos as I see on a regular basis here and other places.

Most of the answer is post processing

I have a canon point and shoot , and the way is designed is to take a picture and DIRECTLY go to print.. meaning the settings for contrast are up , the color set more vivid, and the sharpness is 'WAY' up ...
( not intended for post work )

This as compared to a 'PRO' camera were the settings are set to LOW or NONE so that the image is neutral
( expected to do post work )

( my 2 cameras were compared on canon's website somewhere I think , and it has made me stop blaming the camera and sensor and lenses like I used to !!!)