Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Question about meter.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55130
Comments: 1
My Mood:

J Diaz is offline IP: 68.198.36.165

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

A few month ago my light meter quit on me. I buy a replacement until the old one getting fix. Well my problem is I can't get a right good reading the old one was a the Sekonic L-308s and the new one is L-358.

The L-358 I put a grey card and take a reading and came out underexposure or over. I don't know if forgot something or I miss understating something in the manual. the some one has some possible answer.

Thank
  View Public Profile Send a private message to J Diaz Find More Posts by J Diaz

Re: Question about meter.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50518
My Mood:

That_Look_Photo is offline IP: 68.200.100.150

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey, Long time no see buddy.. Anyway You need to give us more info as to what type of shoot you are doing. If you are shooting with strobes you figure out what f# you want to set your camera too for the shot. Lets say you want to shoot at f8. Dial in f8 on your camera and use your meter to check the output of your strobes until you get a reading of f8 on your meter. Ether turn your power dial on the light more or less until it reads f8. If you are shooting outside set the meter to the ambient light setting. Take a meter reading of your subject and adjust your camera to that setting. Make sure your meter settings are the same as your camera settings . Flash speed aka sync speed and f#. Also make sure your at the right sync speed when you are ajusting the strobes. You meter and camera should have the same sync

I hope that helps..

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photo Visit That_Look_Photo's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photo

Old 05-06-2007, 08:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 58622
Comments: 0

jackspu is offline IP: 74.115.16.155

Hi,
Most times you would be better to forget the grey card and use an incident meter reading whether using flash or available light. The problem with the gray card is that you have to make sure that you're reading the reflected light only from the card and that the meter isn't reading other obejects in its field of view. You can only really do this if your camera or meter has spot metering.
If you use the white dome on the meter and go up to your subject, pointing the dome towards your shooting position, the meter will read the light falling onto the subject very accurately.

If you're doing all of this and are still getting odd readings then check the battery!! You never know??

Paul
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jackspu Find More Posts by jackspu

Old 05-06-2007, 09:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackspu View Post
Hi,
Most times you would be better to forget the grey card and use an incident meter reading whether using flash or available light. The problem with the gray card is that you have to make sure that you're reading the reflected light only from the card and that the meter isn't reading other objects in its field of view. You can only really do this if your camera or meter has spot metering.
If you use the white dome on the meter and go up to your subject, pointing the dome towards your shooting position, the meter will read the light falling onto the subject very accurately.

If you're doing all of this and are still getting odd readings then check the battery!! You never know??

Paul
The gray card is quite useful for calibrating the meter. Meters can meter all over the place. I've conducted workshops where as many as six different light meters gave as many readings of the same scene. To calibrate, simply shoot full frame shot of the gray card at whatever the meter says. Then look at the histogram on the camera. If the single spike is in the center, then the exposure is where it should be. If not in the center, change the fstop and shoot again and repeat until the spike is in the center. Now you know the fstop the meter should have given to match the camera. Either adjust the meter if possible, or remember the difference between the meter and what the histogram showed and set accordingly in the future.

Click for larger version

Click for larger version

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 05-07-2007, 07:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55130
My Mood:

J Diaz is offline IP: 68.198.36.165

Thank Guys For your help. I will Post some photos soon.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to J Diaz Find More Posts by J Diaz

Old 05-09-2007, 11:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35509
Comments: 0

mluter is offline IP: 71.199.238.64

I have been playing with Adobe Lightroom for the past couple weeks and find the control amazing. For exposure indicator I really like how Lightroom handles this.

When you are in the Tone curve, you can click on the diffused highlight... and look at the reading.

In this example I've placed my tone selection tool on the diffused highlight and I'm at 80% (which is where I would like to be for proper exposure).

This is great when shooting tether, but also great for correcting exposures when not shooting tether. Either way it's very simple and straight forward and very precise. Just select the diffused highlight and click and drag

http://MikeLuter.com
Twitter
MIke Luter (mikeluter) on Twitter
Facebook
Mike Luter - Jacksonville, FL | Facebook
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mluter Visit mluter's homepage! Find More Posts by mluter