Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Opinion poll - new 35mm film body and system
Old 05-14-2003, 01:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35276
Comments: 0

rhamm is offline IP: 12.208.18.241

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I am considering retiring my old trusty Minolta X-700 bodies/lenses in favor of getting a spiffy AF 35mm body (yes, I still shoot old school manual focus when shooting film). So, I thought I'd throw out the question about what others would recommend and why. My preference leans towards any of the Canon or Nikon bodies that will be able to share AF lenses with their complimenting pro digital SLR's as I will be looking to make that purchase within the next year. So, please tell me what you'd recommend and why (pros and cons).

Thanks in advance.

My Aging Slice of Cyberspace

View Public Profile Send a private message to rhamm Visit rhamm's homepage! Find More Posts by rhamm

Just my opinion
Old 05-14-2003, 06:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 68.162.147.241

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

As someone who used a K-1000 for twenty-odd years, and only recently switched to an Olympus C-700UZ, my opinion probably isn't to be taken seriously.

However, if I were you, I'd be thinking about simply going with the Canon 10D NOW instead of in a year or so. I suspect that price is quite competitive with the higher-end 35mm EOS bodies and Canon does seem to be the leader in digital technology, at least between Canon and Nikon. Each system has some pluses and minuses in their respective lens lines. Then I'd probably go to KEH and pick up a used EOS body for those times I wanted film.

But remember ... it's just my opinion, and we know what that's worth.

Oh, yeah - like the Einstein quote.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jford Visit jford's homepage! Find More Posts by jford

Re: Opinion poll - new 35mm film body and system
Old 05-14-2003, 07:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Marko

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 195.29.173.226

Realistically, then, you're looking at a Canon EOS 1v or EOS 3, or a Nikon F5 (I haven't used Nikon in years except to demo and am not completely familiar with their current product line, so I don't know what the less-expensive lighter-duty camera would be). When you search for camera/lens combinations, are you looking primarily toward a strong autofocus system or sharper lenses? In my humble opinion Canon definitely makes better bodies, unless you are a photojournalist and plan on taking a camera to war, in which case I would recommend the F5 (I'm conifident that there is no tougher camera, not even a Contax). If lens quality is your biggest issue, well, Nikon lenses just barely edge their Canon competition, but the difference in my opinion is moot, whereas there is definitely a noticeable difference between my Canon EOS 3 (which is much cheaper, by the way) and an F5 in terms of autofocus, the Canon being faster (with 45 eye-control points across the middle of the frame). I love my EOS 3, I've got a lens set-up that I'm happy with (f2.8 24-70 and 70-200 zooms, an f1.8 85 and 1.4 50 and a 3.5-4.5 28-105 zoom which is very light and compact for packing around and shooting grab shots on the street), and the autofocus and exposure controls are thorough, ergonomic, very easy to operate (except exposure compensation when working in program, which is kind of stupidly laid-out, a finger-stretcher), with a pretty fast X sync (1/200), and both shutter and aperture are variable in 1/3 increments. What might tip the scale if you're considering going digital in the future is the fact that the Fuji and Kodak DSLRs are both using Nikon mount at the present, so Canon glass will only work on a Canon DSLR, at least as of this writing.

However, if your wallet is too fat and needs a diet, the Zeiss glass on the Contax system is sweet as hell. Hasselblad/Rollei quality in 35mm format...

Can\'t go wrong with the Nikon F100
Old 05-14-2003, 07:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 66.142.65.33

For the price, you get a camera that is just about like their F5 pro series for half the price--I own them both, and the F100 rocks, especially with the new vibration reduction lenses....here's an image with the D100...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Re: Opinion poll - new 35mm film body and system
Old 05-16-2003, 03:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
val
Free Member

Member GG#: 35336

val is offline IP: 24.25.227.132

new or used a canon eos 3 for film, a 10D for digital, and all the L glass you can afford.
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to val Find More Posts by val

ditto on the Nikon F100
Old 05-17-2003, 06:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Member GG#: 35280
Send a message via AIM to JaysonFromMaine Send a message via Yahoo to JaysonFromMaine

JaysonFromMaine is offline IP: 24.128.68.39

very nice camera... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JaysonFromMaine Visit JaysonFromMaine's homepage! Find More Posts by JaysonFromMaine

EOS 3 gets my vote
Old 05-17-2003, 11:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35656

ewfoltz is offline IP: 172.149.216.151

I just returned from covering the recent festivities in Iraq. I took a D-1 a D-1x and my trusty Canon Eos 3. Both the Nikons are currently in the shop while I used my Canon today. Right now Canon is on the cutting edge of CCD technology and innovation. Nikon seems to do just enough to stay in the market. My Canon has also survived 3 major mountaineering expeditions and 50-60 rock climbs all over the US and Asia.

Shiite youth during the pilgrimage to Karbala in Central Iraq, April 2003. Canon Eos 3, 28-135mm IS, Kodak TMax 3200
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ewfoltz Visit ewfoltz's homepage! Find More Posts by ewfoltz

Re: EOS 3 gets my vote
Old 05-19-2003, 12:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
Marko

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 195.29.173.226

I've only been shooting with my EOS 3 for 1 year (which I finally bought after borrowing my mentor's almost 4 years ago, he's a Canon guy who demos everything for Canon USA). I've never had even the most insignificant problem with it. My only gripe is the difficulty using the exposure compensation feature in program mode on the fly, it takes a few seconds, which defeats the purpose of program mode. If I have any time at all to meter, I meter manually...

If it can survive the "Iraqi festivities" then it can surely survive the fashion jungle. Thanks for the anecdotes.

From a Nikon user go Canon.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
Dax
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35270

Dax is offline IP: 67.34.69.64

Nikon is good and all.. but if you will buy a 35mm system and then move into digital.. As of today and the forseeable future.. Canon is KICKING Nikons bootay in the digital arena.. so .. Even though Im a Nikon guy.. if you are going to start from scratch .. go canon.

Good Luck!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Dax Visit Dax's homepage! Find More Posts by Dax

Which sounds good until you go to the Canon Site..
Old 05-24-2003, 09:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35283

jstensberg is offline IP: 65.28.223.9

...and see they post a mean time for shutter failure at 30,000 images on some bodies. I've shot that much since Dec. when I got my D-100. No Nikon has that in their specs.

My advice, Nikon, Fuji and Canon are the top of the hill right now, go to the nearest town that has camera store(s) that stock both and see which one you like, then got with that.

Joel
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jstensberg Visit jstensberg's homepage! Find More Posts by jstensberg