Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Hensel porty premium plus vs elinchrom ranger rx as
Old 04-05-2007, 11:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57841
Comments: 0

LacrymosaPhoto is offline IP: 76.175.82.214

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Im torn! the lack of hensel availability is wearing on me and Im anxious to start shooting lol anyone have any input tween these two kits? pros/cons for the systems? any help is greatly appreciated
  View Public Profile Send a private message to LacrymosaPhoto Find More Posts by LacrymosaPhoto

Re: Hensel porty premium plus vs elinchrom ranger rx as
Old 04-06-2007, 05:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35230
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to glennusdin Send a message via Yahoo to glennusdin

glennusdin is offline IP: 74.92.121.113

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

if you don't buy the Hensel, you obviously will never be able to take any great pictures, so there really is nothing to be torn about.

It's either the Hensel or a life of mediocre shooting with amateur crap. I can't believe you would even consider coming on this board and asking such a silly question.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to glennusdin Visit glennusdin's homepage! Find More Posts by glennusdin

Old 04-06-2007, 07:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
GWC Extraordinaire

Member GG#: 40697
Send a message via MSN to The_Glamour_Spot Send a message via Yahoo to The_Glamour_Spot

The_Glamour_Spot is offline IP: 72.178.235.217

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennusdin View Post
if you don't buy the Hensel, you obviously will never be able to take any great pictures, so there really is nothing to be torn about.

It's either the Hensel or a life of mediocre shooting with amateur crap. I can't believe you would even consider coming on this board and asking such a silly question.
Glenn, you have such a subtle way of getting your point across...

http://www.bobbygphoto.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to The_Glamour_Spot Visit The_Glamour_Spot's homepage! Find More Posts by The_Glamour_Spot

Old 04-06-2007, 08:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

just stating the facts, Sir.

Since I bought my Hensels, I have grown as a photographer, my images have more clarity and depth, the definition of my style and composition have increased, my peers have stood and cheered when I walk in a room, the change has been remarkable.

Oh crap, I just woke from the dream. I haven't bought any of that stuff yet.

But it sounds cool.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to glennusdin Visit glennusdin's homepage! Find More Posts by glennusdin

Old 04-06-2007, 09:12 AM   #5 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 70.125.157.219

Well obviously both brands of lights will help you work more effectively and efficiently than most other brands, but lighting alone will not help your shooting or chances of getting published--unless you have a hell of a pocket book and can pay your way in. But if you've got that much money, the go with Briese or Broncolor.

Personally, look at who has had great success with Hensel vs Elinchrom. While lighting alone will not make you a great photographer, obviously you'll work better and more consistently with better units like Hensel, Profoto, Dynalite, Elinchrom, Broncolor, etc., in the end, it's all about knowing how to use lighting, not what brand, wishing you the best, rg sends!

Click for larger version
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 04-06-2007, 10:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

RG is right but my answer was much funnier.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Member GG#: 35280
Send a message via AIM to JaysonFromMaine Send a message via Yahoo to JaysonFromMaine

JaysonFromMaine is offline IP: 67.35.160.168

get a 1000ws profoto mono head and hook it into a dynalite 1100xp portapack
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JaysonFromMaine Visit JaysonFromMaine's homepage! Find More Posts by JaysonFromMaine

Old 04-20-2007, 01:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 45854
Send a message via AIM to mcherry

mcherry is offline IP: 69.120.103.198

I have all hensel kit for my own stuff, but mostly rent profoto, as that's all that's mainly available around NYC. Something to consider. Also I love ProFoto's modifiers for shooting people. Prefer Broncolor for product.

But over all I think if you're buying you get your best bang for your buck with Hensel.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mcherry Visit mcherry's homepage! Find More Posts by mcherry

Old 04-23-2007, 05:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 58250
Comments: 3

seanmclennan is offline IP: 24.226.123.55

Hey matthew,

I watched the video on your site of that last girl you shot, the maxim hometown hottie...anyway, in the video you're using a ring flash. It looked like a profoto unit, but I can't be sure. Can you please tell me who's ringflash that was?

thanks
sean
  View Public Profile Send a private message to seanmclennan Find More Posts by seanmclennan

Old 04-23-2007, 08:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 45854
Send a message via AIM to mcherry

mcherry is offline IP: 69.120.103.198

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanmclennan View Post
Hey matthew,

I watched the video on your site of that last girl you shot, the maxim hometown hottie...anyway, in the video you're using a ring flash. It looked like a profoto unit, but I can't be sure. Can you please tell me who's ringflash that was?

thanks
sean
Hi Sean, that's the Hensel ringflash. The ProFoto unit has a bigger reflector, which is kind of cool, the Hensel is more like the Broncolor, which is equally cool, but different. While I do love Profoto's ringflash (hey I love all their stuff) the Hensel is awesome and considering the price, it's a no brainer to me. If you saw the video, you'll notice that I'm not one to "baby" my gear, and Hensel, for the most part, holds up. I did blow one light on that shoot (no idea how, it just blew and I have to send it in for service) and I did break a handle on one of the newer 500 monolights, but that took a spill from about 10 feet up when an idiot assistant forgot to sandbag a c-stand.

While I have a lot of monolights, I really don't care for them that much. Hensel has a new pack and head system which is small like a Dynalite setup and I think that will be how I will go in the future. We'll see. Profoto has suggested they would like to see me using their kit and hey, if I get a deal I'll go where ever as long as it's good. But if I'm spending my own $$ it's Hensel.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mcherry Visit mcherry's homepage! Find More Posts by mcherry