Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Stand alone CD burners
Old 03-23-2007, 11:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran

Member GG#: 46477
Comments: 0

atlantashooter is offline IP: 216.199.73.42

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Anybody know of a stand alone CD burner they would recommend? We have previously use the Apacer CP200 because it would burn CF card images to the CD and then go back and check the CD against the CF card to make sure it burned correctly. Apacer doesn't seem to offer these products anymore and I'm not sure what to try next. We've tried the Belkin Burnaway a while back but from what I remember it doesn't have a verify cycle. Also tried the Aleratec Photo Copy Cruiser but again no verify cycle. Any suggestions?

DP Ellis
  View Public Profile Send a private message to atlantashooter Visit atlantashooter's homepage! Find More Posts by atlantashooter

Re: Stand alone CD burners
Old 03-23-2007, 12:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantashooter View Post
Anybody know of a stand alone CD burner they would recommend? We have previously use the Apacer CP200 because it would burn CF card images to the CD and then go back and check the CD against the CF card to make sure it burned correctly. Apacer doesn't seem to offer these products anymore and I'm not sure what to try next. We've tried the Belkin Burnaway a while back but from what I remember it doesn't have a verify cycle. Also tried the Aleratec Photo Copy Cruiser but again no verify cycle. Any suggestions?

DP Ellis
I think you'll see fewer and fewer of these devices becuase they are really no longer very practical. You could only get about 700mb on one CD and that means you can't directly backup even one 1gb flash card (you'd have to span CDs, so you'd have to keep coming back to changed to another CD). So if you wanted to use a system like this, you'd need a DVD one. But the other problem is speed. They are quite slow. I prefer one of the small external hard drives that has a card reader build into it. They mostly come now with at least 80gb drives so you can backup all your stuff to them while out in the field. Then later when you have the time you can do your other backup procedures. I also usually carry a laptop if practical and backup to it.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 03-23-2007, 01:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran

I'd LOVE to be able to just move images to a portable hard drive and then to our desktops except that when we get work in from our shooters we then have to sort it out and send it to the lab on CD's. If we had to burn all those images to CD ourselves we'd spend a couple days or more burning CD's before anything was out the door and on the way to the lab. This way each shooter burns their own CD's and it saves us untold hours of labor cost not to mention turnaround time.

We use CD's instead of DVD's because we want to keep each shoot seperated from the next. DVD's hold a lot more but we would be wasting a LOT of space on each one unless we burned multiple shoots to each one. The cost factor of CD-R's compared to DVD-R's for us when much of the DVD space would be wasted is considerable.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to atlantashooter Visit atlantashooter's homepage! Find More Posts by atlantashooter

Old 03-23-2007, 01:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35470

Mark_A is offline IP: 65.6.134.149

Depending on what the shooters are shooting with and of, a direct link to a laptop eliminates any card transfer and you can burn a Cd from there. I just started shooting to my laptop via WiFi (ad Hoc network) and it's awesome and fast.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Mark_A Visit Mark_A's homepage! Find More Posts by Mark_A

Old 03-23-2007, 01:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantashooter View Post
I'd LOVE to be able to just move images to a portable hard drive and then to our desktops except that when we get work in from our shooters we then have to sort it out and send it to the lab on CD's. If we had to burn all those images to CD ourselves we'd spend a couple days or more burning CD's before anything was out the door and on the way to the lab. This way each shooter burns their own CD's and it saves us untold hours of labor cost not to mention turnaround time.

We use CD's instead of DVD's because we want to keep each shoot seperated from the next. DVD's hold a lot more but we would be wasting a LOT of space on each one unless we burned multiple shoots to each one. The cost factor of CD-R's compared to DVD-R's for us when much of the DVD space would be wasted is considerable.
There are always going to be particular workflows that may benefit from one product or another. My information was a general remark suitable for many people who shoot digital. In your specialized situation, that may not be the most practical way to go. However, just a few notes. I've found that the price of DVDs has dropped fantastically. I can typically buy DVD blanks for a few cents each, so it really doesnt matter if there is wasted space on the DVD. If you are shooting 1gb cards, then when using CDs, you also had waste on one of the two CDs that was used to copy off the contents of a 1gb. So waste will always be a factor, but is it waste that really makes a real difference in the bottom line?

I do still see the apacer units in the pipeline when I do a Google search, so you could probably mail order one or more of them. If apacer no longer makes them, then that may tell you that they weren't selling enough of them to make it practical to continue making them.

Anyway, just my random thoughts on the matter, for what they're worth.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith
Last edited by R_Fredrick_Smith; 11-09-2007 at 11:52 AM..

Old 03-23-2007, 01:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran

Shooting straight to a laptop wirelessly sounds SWEET! I can just imagine never having to change out memory cards and having the files already in the system to work on soon as the shoot is done. I once looked into shooting tethered for the same benefits but that seems a little cumbersome - especially now that I use wireless flash sync. I'm going to have to look into what it takes to set up the whole wireless thing for my personal work.
Last edited by atlantashooter; 03-25-2007 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: added another thought

Old 03-23-2007, 05:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43874

RVMD is offline IP: 67.127.96.92

Looking through my latest issue of Shutterbug, I see two units made by Delkin Devices.

A CD version for 229.95 and a CD/DVD version for 329.95. I hope that helps.

R
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RVMD Visit RVMD's homepage! Find More Posts by RVMD

Old 03-23-2007, 10:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 68.127.81.8

Well, for me, I have a DVD-RW burner, which also does CD-R's, so you have your option, a cd for a smaller shoot, and a dvd for a larger shoot. I do like the external hard drive, I personally have 2 of them, a 100gb and a 500 gb hd. Both are very nice to have for backing up all of my files, and covers my assets. Well, it might be overkill, but still helps if one fails.

Stand alone DVD burners
Old 11-09-2007, 11:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran

When I originally started this thread we were knee deep into CD's using 512Mb cards. We've since moved to DVD's with 2Gb cards and started the move to 40D's with ever increasing file sizes. We pretty much have to stay with discs instead of portable hard drives because of our workflow. I looked at the possibility of getting everybody a basic laptop but with any kind of decent memory, dvd burner and repair service coverage they are stilll in the $600-700 range. The only company I can find that offers a stand alone DVD burner that also can do a verify cycle after burning the DVD is EZDigimagic/EZPnP. Problem with that one is that the chip they use is backordered for who knows how long. Anybody got ideas of alternative products?

Old 11-09-2007, 03:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 67.187.238.142

Well, I still think that the best route is to go with external hard drives and dvd's. I'm using 4gb cards which fit nicely onto a single dvd, problem is that a 4gb card only gets me about 190 images and sometimes I shoot more than that. But the dvd's along with the external hard drives work nicely.