Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Guitars?
Old 02-26-2007, 10:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40601
Comments: 0

nicolecphotos is offline IP: 74.128.145.133

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I know this isn't much to do with Glamour but I might have an opportunity to shoot some guitars for a catalog (even though I told them I don't really have any experience). So, I'm wondering if anyone has done any commercial work like this? Or if I can pick anyone's brain about this stuff? This is kind of the look they are going for:

http://www.prsguitars.com/cemahogany/index.html

If anyone is willing to share their expertise..I'm all ears!

Thanks,
Nicole
  View Public Profile Send a private message to nicolecphotos Visit nicolecphotos's homepage! Find More Posts by nicolecphotos

Re: Guitars?
Old 02-27-2007, 12:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.32.134.41

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Yeah, I did commercial work and I did some catalog stuff on occasion and from my experience only the client can tell you what they have in mind for their catalog. Most catalog producers have graphic designers to do the catalog design well before the photograpy stage and have well th ought out designs. It's up to them to let yo know what they want. If they don't know, then sit down with them and go over various design concepts.

The samples yo showed copld well be what they want, but if they can offer no guidance, I would be very nervous.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Evangelical Ne'er-do-well

Member GG#: 42306
Send a message via Yahoo to ChipBulgin

ChipBulgin is offline IP: 68.55.248.119

For the full-length shots, the guitars are placed on top of a sheet of black acrylic against a backdrop of black cotton velvet. They are then side lit with two strip-boxes: main on image left and fill on image right. The light is flagged as necessary to prevent excessive spill onto the foreground.

For the detail shots the guitars are held by an articulated arm and clamp so that they can be held from either the body or the neck and rotated as necessary to get the perspective needed. The background is a sheet of black acrylic sprayed with dullcote. It is angled and lit separately from one side to provide the graduated falloff you see. The guitars can then be positioned anywhere along the axis of falloff to achieve the separation effect desired. The guitars themselves are lit with a 3' x 4' softbox, though reflectors are used as secondary light sources to fill in shadows or create secondary highlights on opposing surfaces.

-Chip

Old 02-27-2007, 09:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 40601

nicolecphotos is offline IP: 74.128.145.133

Wow!
Thanks for the great replies! This is exactly what I was looking/hoping for.
Chip,
The detailed information is perfect - thanks!!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to nicolecphotos Visit nicolecphotos's homepage! Find More Posts by nicolecphotos

Old 02-27-2007, 09:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 57569

TCProd is offline IP: 68.44.114.33

Chip, thanks for that description. Guitars are my other passion. At a guitar get-together last weekend I was asked to shoot some closeups of a friend's guitar. I was there to jam, not shoot, so all I had was my camera and shoe-mount flash. It was in a film studio which had a white sweep wall and stage lighting set up on it, but my results were less than perfect.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to TCProd Visit TCProd's homepage! Find More Posts by TCProd

Old 02-28-2007, 08:26 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Amateur

Member GG#: 35246
Comments: 7

jford is offline IP: 144.80.193.138

I personally have enjoyed the Martin ads over the past few years - kind of environmental still lifes (still lives?) composed around a Martin in a setting - like against a car fender, or leaning against a wall in a rustic room. Nicely composed stuff.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 57685

chipshotz.com is offline IP: 71.41.108.135

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolecphotos View Post
I know this isn't much to do with Glamour but I might have an opportunity to shoot some guitars for a catalog (even though I told them I don't really have any experience). So, I'm wondering if anyone has done any commercial work like this? Or if I can pick anyone's brain about this stuff? This is kind of the look they are going for:

http://www.prsguitars.com/cemahogany/index.html

If anyone is willing to share their expertise..I'm all ears!

Thanks,
Nicole
Hey Nicole-

Yep... black backgroud a must. But there are several lighting options. You don't need strip lights but they are helpful. A masked softbox works just as well. I have several examples but don't have my files with me. You can see the result on my site (www.chipshotz.com) on the tearsheets page. As a matter of fact I think this shot was taken with just the modeling lights and long exposure. The key light was behing the guitar and a white reflector in front. Hope that helps!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to chipshotz.com Visit chipshotz.com's homepage! Find More Posts by chipshotz.com