Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Just a warning about Mail-in rebates
Old 02-26-2007, 12:29 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42806
Comments: 0

vsrdan is offline IP: 72.129.183.20

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

If you are purchasing cameras, accessories, computer hardware or any other electronics with mail-in rebates from on-line vendors use extreme caution! The newest tactic seems to be forcing customers to register with scam web sites and deal with those "companies" to get the rebate (neither the vendor nor the manufacturer will have to deal with the customer by doing this). The following link explains the whole scam:

http://lama900.livejournal.com/

On-line vendor called NewEgg.com offer a lot of mail-in rebates through a web site called myrebates411.com, which, in my opinion is a scam (I am already a victim).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photo36/
  View Public Profile Send a private message to vsrdan Visit vsrdan's homepage! Find More Posts by vsrdan

Re: Just a warning about Mail-in rebates
Old 02-26-2007, 02:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrdan View Post
If you are purchasing cameras, accessories, computer hardware or any other electronics with mail-in rebates from on-line vendors use extreme caution! The newest tactic seems to be forcing customers to register with scam web sites and deal with those "companies" to get the rebate (neither the vendor nor the manufacturer will have to deal with the customer by doing this). The following link explains the whole scam:

http://lama900.livejournal.com/

On-line vendor called NewEgg.com offer a lot of mail-in rebates through a web site called myrebates411.com, which, in my opinion is a scam (I am already a victim).
I think the information in the above article in your link is a bit less than accurate and a bit too free with the old hyperbole. I purchase as many as 50 items a year with rebates and sometimes 2 rebates for an item. I have never failed to get each rebate that I was due. It does take attention to detail and following the directions on each rebate form. I use a simple system of reading the form carefully, and check marking each step as I complete it. I then photo copy all of the items sent in for the rebate and I also copy the addressed envelope. I keep these filed on my computer (scanned images). I then note the date I sent the rebate request, and I put the expected date it should get back to me. I then check them off as they come in. I do have several problems each year, but because I have copies of everything, I'm always able to get them to send the rebates. Since they are copies that I can post on line, it usually means I can settle the issue very quickly.

In all of the items I've purchased, I've never seen any indication that the merchandise was other than brand new. None of it has been refurbished or damaged. Maybe I've just been lucky, but 50 or so rebates a year is a pretty good test of the system.

Most people I know who've had rebate problems have been guilty of some fundamental error in submitting the rebate. I've seen several people who photocopy the UPC code, and send that instead of the original. Naturally the companies will not honor the rebate request, since a photocopy of the UPC code is not proof of purchase. I've seen other who use a PO Box when the rebate form clearly says that PO Boxes are not allowed.

So I think that one needs to evaluate whether they have the organizational skills needed to profit from rebates. If one does have those skills, then one can save lots of money on products. If one doesn't have the those skills, then it may be better to skip rebates, since they are likely to forget to mail them in, or really don't spend the time to read the forms carefully and follow them.

It is always wise, however, to check up on INternet sites to see if they have a good rating. I use resellerratings.com for purpose. And by the way, Newegg has a 9.84 rating out of 10, which is one of the highest in the industry.

By the way, I also clip coupons and use them regularly.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 02-26-2007, 07:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
It is always wise, however, to check up on INternet sites to see if they have a good rating. I use resellerratings.com for purpose. And by the way, Newegg has a 9.84 rating out of 10, which is one of the highest in the industry.
I noticed, when I looked at some of these customer reviews sites, such as Bizrate, that they delete original customer review when NewEgg posted their "generic" reply to the post. I visit epinions.com and nextag.com for reviews. I don't know how true are resellerratings.com reviews on NewEgg because NewEgg advertises resellerratings.com on the front page.

View Public Profile Send a private message to vsrdan Visit vsrdan's homepage! Find More Posts by vsrdan

Old 02-26-2007, 12:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrdan View Post
I noticed, when I looked at some of these customer reviews sites, such as Bizrate, that they delete original customer review when NewEgg posted their "generic" reply to the post. I visit epinions.com and nextag.com for reviews. I don't know how true are resellerratings.com reviews on NewEgg because NewEgg advertises resellerratings.com on the front page.
I've found resellerratings.com to be very accurate in its reviews. NewEgg is highly rated by any number of big sites and magazines etc. I've never had any problems with them.
I didn't see the ad for resselerratings.com on the NewEgg site. But with the dense pages they have, I may have missed it. Where are you seeing it (perhaps a screen shot)?
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 02-26-2007, 08:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
I've found resellerratings.com to be very accurate in its reviews. NewEgg is highly rated by any number of big sites and magazines etc. I've never had any problems with them.
I didn't see the ad for resselerratings.com on the NewEgg site. But with the dense pages they have, I may have missed it. Where are you seeing it (perhaps a screen shot)?
Cheers,
rfs

Yes, you are right. Resellerratings.com seems to be pretty accurate. Couple of weeks ago I saw NewEgg had Resellerratings logo at the bottom of their front page. So, I thought they are having a "deal". I was wrong - I guess.