Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Remote Internet Backup Service
Old 02-14-2007, 08:58 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42991
Comments: 0
My Mood:

DocSmith is offline IP: 74.248.54.131

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Due to several recent related threads discussing file backup practices, does anyone use remote Internet backup services, i.e., a service which either actively or passively copies your files and stores them in multiple locations on the Internet? Having suffered the effects of Hurricane Ivan, I'm looking for something offsite and virtual. I have seen several, some free, and would like any recommendation or advice. Here's a PC World write-up: http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/128774

Doc
Gulf Breeze, Florida 32562
(850) 712-0639
www.michaelsmithphotography.biz

Studio One Pensacola
103 W. Intendencia Street
Pensacola, FL 32502
(850) 712-0639
www.studioonepensacola.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DocSmith Visit DocSmith's homepage! Find More Posts by DocSmith
Last edited by DocSmith; 02-14-2007 at 09:27 AM..

Re: Remote Internet Backup Service
Old 02-14-2007, 09:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36482
Comments: 2

lsc1 is offline IP: 65.0.230.141

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Several of our offices use a service from www.mozy.com Haven't tried it yet but hear good things about it.

"The girlshapedlovedrug messes with my mind." Gomez (the band)
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsc1 Find More Posts by lsc1

Old 02-14-2007, 11:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 46114

dledeaux is offline IP: 70.244.248.134

I use Carbonite.

Only drawback is they only back up your C: drive, not externals. But if you have a huge C: drive this isn't a problem.

But, they offer unlimited storage and a set it and forget it style. No fuss. It just watches for new and changed files and backs them up. If you accidentally delete something it's easy to get it back too. It adds another icon under My Computer.

It costs $5/month. Check it out here. They have a 15 day trial.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dledeaux Visit dledeaux's homepage! Find More Posts by dledeaux

Old 02-14-2007, 12:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.153

Keep in mind that most of these services have a similar clause to this one. Check out the clause that is titled: "Changes to Service" and notice they can make any changes they want and they don't have to tell you about them. Also note later in their agreement the clause about "abuse". Since the term is not defined, it can mean anything. What usually happens with these types of services is that once you've used them for a few years and have a vast backup, they start playing games with the rates they charge. Also they often promise a large amount of space for backup, but if you actually use that space, they then invoke the "abuse" clause.

Keep in mind the reality of backing up photos. It is not unreasonable for many photographers to end up with several hundred GB of photos per year. Think about the huge hit to upload and store those files. And since most home ISP connection have a throttled Upload speed, you will find it takes a long time to upload the photos.

By the way, Carbonite actually has this statement on their site:

"As much as you have. Carbonite will back up all the supported files on your hard drive whether you have 1GB, 10GB or more. As a practical matter, the speed of today's DSL and cable Internet services will make it very slow to back up more than, say, 40-50GB of data. Our Terms of Use will allow us to deny service to abusers. "

Notice that if you go beyond 40-50gb, then they will deny you service as an abuser. Now this is open to interpretation, but I am generally wary of all of these online backup systems. In any event, be sure to still do your own redundant backups. Also keep in mind that if one of these companies goes out of business, you may lose your data.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 02-14-2007, 01:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 43029

zytkiewicz is offline IP: 68.114.222.69

I tried the Carbonite 15 day free trial. Just to back up my My Documents folder (approx. 8 GB) took 4 days over my cable modem. Granted the first back up always takes the longest, but for just a little more than what they charge per year I was able to go out and get a 250GB external. I like the idea of online back up, but for photographers it's not practical yet.
MM#84146
http://www.monkeymetal.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to zytkiewicz Visit zytkiewicz's homepage! Find More Posts by zytkiewicz

Old 02-14-2007, 02:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zytkiewicz View Post
I tried the Carbonite 15 day free trial. Just to back up my My Documents folder (approx. 8 GB) took 4 days over my cable modem. Granted the first back up always takes the longest, but for just a little more than what they charge per year I was able to go out and get a 250GB external. I like the idea of online back up, but for photographers it's not practical yet.
And that is one of the big problems. Typically a photographer might add 5-8gb of new photos at a time. I know that's about average for me for each shoot. So a photographer is always doing the large uploads which take days sometimes to perform. And, of course, as I pointed out previously, once you've reached the 30-40gb range, they may shut you down for abuse. So that would mean only 5 to 7 photo sessons for many of us. The Externals are the way to go.

By the way, some of the External drives come with a one button backup system. Two of the drives I have will automatically back up changed or new files from the hard drive to the external. The only draw back, is that you must leave the external drive on for longer periods of time which shortens its life.

Cheers,
rfs

View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 02-14-2007, 04:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 37202

xxxx is offline IP: 24.11.87.15

Has anone tried a peer to peer system or knows of one? I there a system where someone accross the country in their office can have a spare drive and back me up, and I do the same for them? anone ever hear of that or tried that?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to xxxx Visit xxxx's homepage! Find More Posts by xxxx

Old 02-14-2007, 05:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxx View Post
Has anone tried a peer to peer system or knows of one? I there a system where someone accross the country in their office can have a spare drive and back me up, and I do the same for them? anone ever hear of that or tried that?
Yes, I've done that before. I used to backup my source code when coding software. I might be in England, but would backup the source code to a network drive in Dallas as well as to a local backup source. But that has the same limitations (speed wise) as any of the paid services you sign up for over the Internet, because you are still transmitting the files over the Internet and that can take days in some cases for many GB at a time of photos. Keep in mind that when you are uploading 5 gb of photos to a hard drive somewhere else on the Internet that both you and they are dealing with bandwidth issues.

I believe the online backup services are only practical for small storage needs (less than 5 gb total) and usually for sets of files that change often, and the automation of backup of the changes becomes attractive. But you can do the same thing to a local external hard drive if you like and it is lighting fast by comparison and under your control with no foreign programs running on your computer and examining your files.

Cheers,
rfs

Old 02-14-2007, 08:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

DocSmith is offline IP: 74.248.54.131

I've signed up for Mozy.com Unlimited for $4.95/month. Backup is for all files on all drives. Hey, I drop $2.00 each for a couple of Bloody Mary's every Sunday at Brunch! My needs are modest (25GB currently, but I haven't shot in a while) and I'll let everyone know how it goes. It's running in background right now and I can see no adverse effects on processing speed.

Thanks for all the advice,
Doc
(850) 712-0639

Studio One Pensacola
Pensacola, FL 32502
(850) 712-0639
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DocSmith Visit DocSmith's homepage! Find More Posts by DocSmith
Last edited by DocSmith; 02-15-2007 at 04:09 AM..

Old 03-09-2007, 09:32 AM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

DocSmith is offline IP: 74.248.54.30

Mozy is working out fine so far, for me. It took about two weeks for the initial backup. It runs in background and is so unobtrusive, I contacted customer service just to check that everything was working! I have a personal account - business accounts are $3.95/month + $0.50/GB - which is still pretty cheap.

Doc
(850) 712-0639

Studio One Pensacola
Pensacola, FL 32502
(850) 712-0639