Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Devices for transferring CF card images to 80GB IPod?
Old 01-09-2007, 04:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41499
Comments: 0

JimVanLuven is offline IP: 69.14.59.197

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Just ordered the 80Gb IPod for a vacation, and figured it would make a great tool for backing up cards during weddings, and then just plug the one device into my system at home to transfer all the files faster at the end of the day.

Has anybody seen a card reader that will plug into the IPod connector? I have not found anything recent online for that task.

Jim
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JimVanLuven Visit JimVanLuven's homepage! Find More Posts by JimVanLuven

Re: Devices for transferring CF card images to 80GB IPod?
Old 01-09-2007, 04:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50518
Comments: 1
My Mood:

That_Look_Photo is offline IP: 68.200.100.150

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I just did a search and found this..

http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news...tory_5051.html

Looks cool to me..

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photo Visit That_Look_Photo's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photo

Old 01-09-2007, 04:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

I saw this earlier also, but it isn't used for transferring files TO the IPod. It is just a card reader bundled into a docking station to remove clutter from your desk. It is powered by the computer's USB port, and allows you to use the card reader while charging or listening to your IPod at the same time. They do not connect to each other, and are not portable.

Thanks for looking!

Jim
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JimVanLuven Visit JimVanLuven's homepage! Find More Posts by JimVanLuven

Old 01-09-2007, 05:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35840
My Mood:

SteveB is offline IP: 67.139.53.39

It's called "iPod Camera Connector" , made by Apple. Very slow and uses lot's of battery power... but it does work! Got mine at J&R Music in NYC, they probably have it on their website.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Steve,

Correct me if I am wrong, but that is for connecting the IPod directly to the USB connector on a camera. If I am shooting a wedding, I would want my assistant to have a standalone product to backup cards while I continued shooting. Did I interpret it wrong? I saw it the other day at the IPod store, and didn't look it back up. I heard it was a bit slow in thier customer comments, but I think it does allow you to look at the photos on the IPod afterwords, which is cool.

I want the IPod to act like this device that someone referenced in an earlier post, the "Digimate II-Plus USB2.0 Smart Portable Storage" found here:
http://www.usbgeek.com/prod_detail.php?prod_id=0365
I have a laptop drive, and it might be an easier solution in the end.

Thanks,

Jim

Old 01-09-2007, 07:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
LivingINDaytona

Member GG#: 35280
Send a message via AIM to JaysonFromMaine Send a message via Yahoo to JaysonFromMaine

JaysonFromMaine is offline IP: 67.35.161.79

i think belkin makes one...but from what i hear it will drain your batts on the first 512mg card... and it takes along time...and sence you cant plug in the ipod while down loading you could be out of luck...you would be better getting a epson p4000 or similer... also keep in mind the ipod photo ajusts the crop and size to fit its screen...it is not WYSIWYG...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVanLuven View Post
Steve,

Correct me if I am wrong, but that is for connecting the IPod directly to the USB connector on a camera. If I am shooting a wedding, I would want my assistant to have a standalone product to backup cards while I continued shooting. Did I interpret it wrong? I saw it the other day at the IPod store, and didn't look it back up. I heard it was a bit slow in thier customer comments, but I think it does allow you to look at the photos on the IPod afterwords, which is cool.

I want the IPod to act like this device that someone referenced in an earlier post, the "Digimate II-Plus USB2.0 Smart Portable Storage" found here:
http://www.usbgeek.com/prod_detail.php?prod_id=0365
I have a laptop drive, and it might be an easier solution in the end.

Thanks,

Jim
  View Public Profile Send a private message to JaysonFromMaine Visit JaysonFromMaine's homepage! Find More Posts by JaysonFromMaine

Old 01-09-2007, 08:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.165.240

You can get he equipment to do it, but because of battery power limits and speed, it is probably not going to be practical for a wedding. Also you need someone to guard the unit while this download is happening. I've always found it much more practical to just take a small laptop to the wedding and I let someone I've designated copy the cards to the laptop. I can then also use the laptop to drive a projector for showing the wedding shots during the reception (I use the embedded JPGs from the RAW files for this, by the way).

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 01-09-2007, 10:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Well, It sounds like I will have to stick to using it for music (and Photoshop CS2/3 Podcasts which I recently discovere!).

I usually have plenty of CF cards to last till the night is over, but I have had a few brides ask about doing the slide shows during the reception, so the laptop will never be far away.

I appreciate the feedback.