Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
question re layers PS 6.0
Old 05-06-2003, 06:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
val
Free Member

Member GG#: 35336
Comments: 0

val is offline IP: 24.25.227.132

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Does anyone use layers? in PS 6.0

What is the reason for using them? I do anything I need to do to the image (contrast, rubberstamp, resize, unsharp mask etc.) then print or save as, and don't seem to have problems... yet I see a lot of mention of layers, but since I don't understand them I usually just ignore it. I checked layers on PS help but it made little or no sense, at least not in terms of what the purpose of layering is... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] I mean, its not like photos are 3 dimensional, so why layer?. Comments? Opinions? Am I missing out? thanks,
  View Public Profile Send a private message to val Find More Posts by val

Re: question re layers PS 6.0
Old 05-06-2003, 06:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35254

delane_rouse is offline IP: 208.59.91.45

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

In reply to:

" I mean, its not like photos are 3 dimensional, so why layer?. Comments? Opinions? Am I missing out?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, in the mind of many a photoshop image is 3 dimensional...think about COMBINING images...in PS, some parts of the image are ON TOP of other parts...you may want text to run BEHIND a person's head (think Sports Illustrated, Elle, Maxim cover) here...it gives the image depth (3 dimensional right???)

Look on my homepage here...see the image of the the guy on the bike is BEHIND the other images...done with layers...

Does that help?

Delane
  View Public Profile Send a private message to delane_rouse Visit delane_rouse's homepage! Find More Posts by delane_rouse

Old 05-06-2003, 07:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35832

Tom_Hamilton is offline IP: 69.3.70.72

This image has six layers. The arboretum, motorcycle, Wendy, Wendy's reflection on the motorcycle, motorcylce's shadow, and reflection of Wendy's shoes on the deck.I can take the picture apart and put it back together any time and any way I want with layers. Little harder with only one layer.

Layers can be used to add, subtract, or modify something on a different layer. The final product is two dimensional but the construction is easier to do three dimensionally.

Tom Hamilton
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Tom_Hamilton Find More Posts by Tom_Hamilton

Old 05-06-2003, 08:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35829

hlmphotog is offline IP: 205.188.209.75

Hi, Hugh from San Antonio...the power and magic of photoshop is in the layers and the ability to utilize layer masks...try this simple manipulation and you will begin to understand their usefulness. Open and rgb image. Go to your layers palette and make a duplicate of the image. Now make another duplicate. You should have three layers of the same image. click the top layer eye icon which will turn off that layer. Target, or highlight the middle layer. make a change to the layer such as blur or other change you are familiar with. Target, or highlight the top layer. You will note that the eye icon is back which means the layer is turned on. You will also note that the change you made to the middle layer is now gone. With the top layer highlighted click on the layer mask...it is the icon at the bottom of the palette that looks like a floppy disk and says layer mask when you put your curser on it. Your top layer will now have a white box next to it. Click on the black and white box on your tool palette and make sure the black square is on top. Now take your brush tool and begin painting directly on your image. You will see the effect you applied to the middle layer begin to appear on the top layer...apply the effect where you want it on the iimage...for example you would want the blur just on the skin, not the eyes and perhaps not the background...you have to decide...if you dont like the way it looks toggle the black and white boxes so the white is on top..now when you paint it will remove the effect. At this point I'm guessing you are getting the picture. If not give me a call at 210-771-8920 and I will walk you through it...goodluck, Hugh
  View Public Profile Send a private message to hlmphotog Visit hlmphotog's homepage! Find More Posts by hlmphotog

Why I use layers (and adjustment layers)...
Old 05-06-2003, 10:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35204

dksun is offline IP: 67.84.118.191

Layers in Photoshop gives a user the ultimate in control. I like being in control. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] It is a powerful feature in Photoshop's toolbox, but, no, there is no need to use layers if you don't want or need to.

With layers, I can make *almost* all the changes I want to my image without destroying or modifying the original image. This includes compositing, sharpening, cloning, tonal adjustments, burning and dodging, adding text, etc.

Each of these operations can be done on its own layer which can be turned "on" or "off" at will (visibility). I can control how each operation interacts with my image (blending mode), where in the image these operations will be seen (layer masks), and how strongly it will affect my image (opacity). I can keep variations of each operation saved with my Photoshop file and switch between them as needed. For example, if I know that my printer consistently outputs my image on the cool side, I can have a curves adjustment layer which warms up my image and turn on the layer when I need to print the image, but keep the layer turned off for regular display or when exporting to the web.

Layers also provide a way to save "undo's". Experiments (say dodging and burning) can be done on a layer and saved. At a later date, you can reopen your saved file and modify the layer containing your dodging and burning or, even, delete it completely. No need to save extra copies of an image everytime you want to try something new.

This is getting long...I think everyone gets the idea that I like layers. I'll stop now. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [Going back to lurker mode]
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dksun Visit dksun's homepage! Find More Posts by dksun

You are missing out.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
**DONOTDELETE**

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 165.95.207.169

Yes, there are many situations where the use of layers is helpful. I recommend you look into a tutorial CD, or another reference book on photoshop, that makes more sense in explaining layers and their use.

This image is composited from 5 different originals.......which could not have been done without layers. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]