Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Laptop Monitor Calibration
Old 01-08-2007, 09:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36482
Comments: 2

lsc1 is offline IP: 70.153.40.46

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

OK,

Just got a new monitor calibration package today (Spyder2 Suite) and it works great on CRT monitors. It probably works great on Laptop LCD's as well but I noticed after calibrating mine, the angle of the screen DRAMATICALLY affects the luminance of the image. It doesn't seem worthwhile to calibrate the monitor if slight changes in the opened angle of the screen affect the appearance of the image that much.

I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 laptop. My question is how do you guys deal with this on your laptops to keep the image consistent???? Or, maybe I just have a crappy laptop???

Cheers,
LSC
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsc1 Find More Posts by lsc1
Last edited by lsc1; 01-11-2007 at 08:48 PM..

Re: Laptop Monitor Calibration
Old 01-08-2007, 09:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 69.110.89.184

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey lsc,
I have some experience with a Spyder product at work, and that particular model had 3 suction cups that attaced to the monitor screen itself, so the angle of the screen of your laptop shouldn't effect it. But if it's a model that dosn't have suction cups, then it would be a problem, wich it sounds like. If the spyder product won't work well on your laptop, you might just try to use Adobe Gamma. If the results aren't satisfactory, then you may just be stuck doing all of your color corrections on your home computer.

Isaiah

Old 01-08-2007, 09:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55362
Comments: 0

nakins is offline IP: 70.232.105.118

You may not have a crappy laptop, but most lcd's on laptops are crappy. Lcd's in general, aren't very good for photographic work. but since you can't buy a trinitron type crt monitor anymore, then you do with what you have. When I was looking to buy a monitor for a photgraphic work station located in another place besides my home, the apple cinema display came up as a good one, although not a better one, in the good, better, best comparison. I know the apple laptop is suppose to be made the same as the cinema display, except smaller. There was an article about this on a photography web site, shoot better, or something. Not much help, am I.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to nakins Find More Posts by nakins

Old 01-09-2007, 01:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54211

MarkC is offline IP: 69.205.127.14

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaiahbrink View Post
Hey lsc,
I have some experience with a Spyder product at work, and that particular model had 3 suction cups that attaced to the monitor screen itself, so the angle of the screen of your laptop shouldn't effect it. But if it's a model that dosn't have suction cups, then it would be a problem, wich it sounds like. If the spyder product won't work well on your laptop, you might just try to use Adobe Gamma. If the results aren't satisfactory, then you may just be stuck doing all of your color corrections on your home computer.

Isaiah
I can't help with the laptop issue, but the suction cups are only meant for CRT screens. LCDs can be damaged if you press on them, so the Spyder should come with a different piece that goes in their place. The puck should still lie flat.

I think the problem is that the Spyder is calibrating to a straight-on view, which is what the puck is seeing. How much view angle affects what you the user sees when you aren't viewing directly straight on will probably depend on the quality of the LCD. I'm using a Viewsonic VP903b at home, and thankfully, it isn't too drastic for me. If it's really bad on yours, I'm guessing you'll either have to really pay attention to where your head is or buy a different machine.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to MarkC Visit MarkC's homepage! Find More Posts by MarkC

Old 01-09-2007, 07:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

lsc1 is offline IP: 65.0.225.253

Thanks nakins, a MacBook may be in the future but with more operating computers at home than members of our family (no waiting for a computer if you need one ), I might get pummeled if I buy another computer.

Yep MarkC, you're right - no suction cups for the LCD monitors.

I had no problem calibrating the monitor as per the instructions. With a desktop LCD, there would be no issue because you generally don't sit down at the desktop and adjust the screen viewing angle every time you work. But with a laptop, every time you open the screen, you don't open it to exactly the same viewing angle. Different angle=different amount of luminance, even if the monitor is calibrated! Therefore, PP images can differ greatly from session to session when editing.

I see almost every photographer at workshops and various places using laptops so I thought somebody smarter than me had figured out how to get consistency when editing images with a laptop.

Thanks for ANY advice you guys can give.

Cheers,
LSC
Last edited by lsc1; 01-11-2007 at 08:49 PM..

Old 01-11-2007, 12:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54883
Comments: 24
My Mood:

netimages is offline IP: 72.244.79.210

I use the spyder 2 pro on several different monitors including my mac laptop. I L-O-V-E it. I've never had as consistent color as I do now. I haven't seen any angle viewing change. Though I have it set as if my moniter has no adjustments. I let the Spyder do all the work and it does!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to netimages Find More Posts by netimages

Old 01-11-2007, 01:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41719
Send a message via AIM to srwatters Send a message via Yahoo to srwatters

srwatters is offline IP: 71.164.138.39

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakins View Post
You may not have a crappy laptop, but most lcd's on laptops are crappy. Lcd's in general, aren't very good for photographic work. but since you can't buy a trinitron type crt monitor anymore, then you do with what you have. When I was looking to buy a monitor for a photgraphic work station located in another place besides my home, the apple cinema display came up as a good one, although not a better one, in the good, better, best comparison. I know the apple laptop is suppose to be made the same as the cinema display, except smaller. There was an article about this on a photography web site, shoot better, or something. Not much help, am I.
I believe that your data on LCD's is inaccurate. (quoting from Top Gun)

There are several LCD's now that approach or surpass the Adobe RGB color space. The 23" Apple Cinema Display I have is excellent and provides nearly 160 degrees of viewing angle with little to no color shift. It is NOT the same as any Apple notebook displays.

You are correct that most laptop LCDs do not provide a good viewing angle. Even the MacBooks are limited. It's all about weight and thickness and at the current time those two characteristics are mutually exclusive in the LCD panels available. There are new technologies that do better, but none are on the market as of yet.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to srwatters Visit srwatters's homepage! Find More Posts by srwatters

Old 01-11-2007, 12:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Aspiring Photographer

Member GG#: 50625

CatCynic is offline IP: 220.253.56.28

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakins View Post
You might want to check out Eizo's Colour Edge range of LCD panels - they have a panel that will display the entire Adobe gamut. I have two of their CG210s, and I find them excellent.

Sure, there are some dreadful LCD monitors out there, but hey, there were some dreadful CRTs, too.
  View Public Profile Find More Posts by CatCynic

Old 01-11-2007, 08:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

lsc1 is offline IP: 70.153.40.137

Quote:
Originally Posted by srwatters View Post

You are correct that most laptop LCDs do not provide a good viewing angle. Even the MacBooks are limited. It's all about weight and thickness and at the current time those two characteristics are mutually exclusive in the LCD panels available. There are new technologies that do better, but none are on the market as of yet.
Thanks Scott, it's helpful to know the MacBooks vary with viewing angle as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCynic View Post
You might want to check out Eizo's Colour Edge range of LCD panels - they have a panel that will display the entire Adobe gamut. I have two of their CG210s, and I find them excellent.

Sure, there are some dreadful LCD monitors out there, but hey, there were some dreadful CRTs, too.
Thanks for trying to help CatCynic although my question has to do with LAPTOP LCD's.

I must be missing something because everybody is so insistent that you MUST profile your monitors for the best results when post processing images. BUT, then I read that a lot of people use Laptops to work on their images. When you open a laptop, the screen is never open to the same viewing angle each time. A different viewing angle = different luminance and different results.

Now, I'm not getting a lot of explanations here about how to avoid this. I might be a little thick but I just don't see what good profiling a laptop monitor is, if the viewing angle affects how you see the image and the viewing angle is never consistent.

I can't be the first to ask this question and I know the answer is out there. Thanks for any insight guys. C'mon you rocket scientists, splain it to me!

"The girlshapedlovedrug messes with my mind." Gomez (the band)

Old 01-11-2007, 08:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41719
Send a message via AIM to srwatters Send a message via Yahoo to srwatters

srwatters is offline IP: 71.164.138.39

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsc1 View Post
Now, I'm not getting a lot of explanations here about how to avoid this. I might be a little thick but I just don't see what good profiling a laptop monitor is, if the viewing angle affects how you see the image and the viewing angle is never consistent.

I can't be the first to ask this question and I know the answer is out there. Thanks for any insight guys. C'mon you rocket scientists, splain it to me!
I calibrate my Powerbook LCD, but don't use it for editing. The reason for calibration is so when I view images uploaded from CF cards, they at least are in the ballpark. One of the huge problems is this race for LCD brightness. Some I've seen are so bright, you can barely get them low enough to have a decent gamma/luminance reading.

I also use an external CRT (21" Sony Trinitron) on the Powerbook if I really have to do any editing. I'm fairly sure all modern notebooks have DVI or at least VGA output.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to srwatters Visit srwatters's homepage! Find More Posts by srwatters