Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Look at both of the images.my question is this.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50518
Comments: 1
My Mood:

That_Look_Photo is offline IP: 68.200.100.150

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I need to get more time in a shoot at the golden hour. Look at the two images and you can see what happens when you shoot to early and when you shoot just a few minutes later. Is a scrim the only way to buy more time for shooting ? As a rule I like most of you want a great shot right out of the camera. Also what is the best way to correct the blown out areas of the first shot ?

Mike

Model is a great model and friend.. Katie nicole from Florida http://www.katie-nicole.com/

This was shot a little to early..

And this was shot just a few minutes later..

View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photo Visit That_Look_Photo's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photo

Re: Look at both of the images.my question is this.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 67.49.32.15

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

in some ways, the term "golden hour" is a misnomer as the light is changing so radically during this time period. the best photographic opportunities, light-wise, seem to occur during far briefer periods of time than during a complete hour.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 12-31-2006, 03:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36482
Comments: 2

lsc1 is offline IP: 70.153.40.46

I can't answer your questions about a scrim but on blown out areas, you can't really recover them.

I have to ask though. These shots look like they were taken from 2 different angles to the sun, one away from the water and one towards the water. Could the differences be as much to do with the direction of your light source?

Cheers,
LSC
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsc1 Find More Posts by lsc1

Old 12-31-2006, 03:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35772
Comments: 0

LesHoward is offline IP: 24.36.123.139

If you look carefully at both photos, you will notice several things.

First, the 'light' hasn't changed - at least not significantly - between the two shots. You will notice the same skin tones and the same rendering of form (ie. the hills & valleys and round things that make up a body).

Second, your camera direction has changed about 180 degrees. The direction of light has changed from camera left to camera right. You might find this rather surprising in view of the first observation.

Third, the most dramatic change in the two shots is the background. In the first, the background is busy & distracting; in the second, plain and simple. In the second, the background is predominantly blue and the skin tones tend to jump out at you while in the first, the skin tones fade back into similar tones in the background.

'Golden hour' is not really relevant to the differences between these pictures.

I sure could use a dose of that southern sunshine up here in frostbitten Ontario.

Les Howard
  View Public Profile Send a private message to LesHoward Find More Posts by LesHoward

Old 12-31-2006, 04:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsc1 View Post
I can't answer your questions about a scrim but on blown out areas, you can't really recover them.

I have to ask though. These shots look like they were taken from 2 different angles to the sun, one away from the water and one towards the water. Could the differences be as much to do with the direction of your light source?

Cheers,
LSC
The image with the hot areas were done in a bunch of angles. I was looking for the best angle to limit the hot spots. After we did that set she changed and we shot the other set with the water in the background. It seems like the light gets softer as it go's down. With the sun still up but not at 12 o'clock you get the harsh shadows. But then there is is short time that the light is soft and perfect. If I turned the model into the light on the first image she would be all one big hot spot. So would a scrim be the best way to soften the light ? Camera setting would not have helped much as the hot spots are there and not made by camera settings .

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photo Visit That_Look_Photo's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photo

Old 12-31-2006, 04:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHoward View Post
If you look carefully at both photos, you will notice several things.

First, the 'light' hasn't changed - at least not significantly - between the two shots. You will notice the same skin tones and the same rendering of form (ie. the hills & valleys and round things that make up a body).

Second, your camera direction has changed about 180 degrees. The direction of light has changed from camera left to camera right. You might find this rather surprising in view of the first observation.

Third, the most dramatic change in the two shots is the background. In the first, the background is busy & distracting; in the second, plain and simple. In the second, the background is predominantly blue and the skin tones tend to jump out at you while in the first, the skin tones fade back into similar tones in the background.

'Golden hour' is not really relevant to the differences between these pictures.

I sure could use a dose of that southern sunshine up here in frostbitten Ontario.

Les Howard
Hi Les,

I can't explain it any better but when I was shooting Katie in the water there were no hot spots and just before when shooting the other set you can just look at her and see the hot spots from the sun. If I turned her into the light she was wat to bright. I run into this problem all the time.

Mike

Old 12-31-2006, 04:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd View Post
in some ways, the term "golden hour" is a misnomer as the light is changing so radically during this time period. the best photographic opportunities, light-wise, seem to occur during far briefer periods of time than during a complete hour.
Hi Jimmy,

I think your right about that. So what would you do to extend the time when the light is perfect ?

Mike
Last edited by That_Look_Photo; 12-31-2006 at 05:27 PM..

Old 12-31-2006, 04:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55362

nakins is offline IP: 70.232.66.28

The hot spots your talking about in the first photo don't seem to be blown to me. I guess it depends on your definition of "blown". But, as the sun goes down the more defuse the light from it becomes as it has to travel through more of earth's atmosphere. There are "hot spots" in the other photo too. Unfortunatly, you can't stop the world from turning, so you can't expect to do two hours work with an hour's worth of light. The only thing I can think of would be to use a canopy to block the sun's light and bounce light on to her with a big amber reflector while the sun is in it's early stages of setting, until it turns to really gold/orange light.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to nakins Find More Posts by nakins

Old 12-31-2006, 06:52 PM   #9 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35840
My Mood:

SteveB is offline IP: 67.139.53.39

I think it's just a case of being a little overexposed on the first image, which is why you are losing the highlights.

That being said, you had an incredible model to work with!

Old 12-31-2006, 07:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
I think it's just a case of being a little overexposed on the first image, which is why you are losing the highlights.

That being said, you had an incredible model to work with!
I had to adjust my exposer to her outfit. It was a shoot for a clothing designer so I had to make sure the suit was right. Even just looking at her with my eyes I could see she was being blasted by the sun. If I changed my settings to under expose the image I think to area that is not so bright would be to dark. Am I right on this ?

Mike