Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
What's a good program for making a flash site ?
Old 12-30-2006, 12:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50518
Comments: 1
My Mood:

That_Look_Photo is offline IP: 68.200.100.150

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I am looking for a program that is simple and easy to use. I want to be able to have a main page that looks professional . Maybe a program with templates to use. I just don't have the time to spend on making it from scratch. And I don't have the cash to let a company make it for me.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photo Visit That_Look_Photo's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photo

Re: What's a good program for making a flash site ?
Old 12-30-2006, 01:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.165.240

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Look_Photo View Post
I am looking for a program that is simple and easy to use. I want to be able to have a main page that looks professional . Maybe a program with templates to use. I just don't have the time to spend on making it from scratch. And I don't have the cash to let a company make it for me.

Mike

Well I think you may have trouble meeting your goal. You want simple to use and yet want it to have professional results. You don't have the time to do anything but used a template, but you have little money to spend on getting a designer or a template. Since you don't say anything about your skill level in programming or web design, it is a bit hard to make a solid recommendation.

That being said, if you can do a little bit of work, you could use something like "SimpleViewer" which provides a portfolio viewing system and is in flash.

http://www.airtightinteractive.com/simpleviewer/

As far as something that will let you edit flash scripts and work with templates and also a product that has lots of premade scripts, you might check out:

http://www.swishzone.com/index.php?area=downloads

Keep in mind that there is often quite a challenge when using Flash based sites to score well in the search engines.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 12-30-2006, 01:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50518
Comments: 1
My Mood:

That_Look_Photo is offline IP: 68.200.100.150

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
Well I think you may have trouble meeting your goal. You want simple to use and yet want it to have professional results. You don't have the time to do anything but used a template, but you have little money to spend on getting a designer or a template. Since you don't say anything about your skill level in programming or web design, it is a bit hard to make a solid recommendation.

That being said, if you can do a little bit of work, you could use something like "SimpleViewer" which provides a portfolio viewing system and is in flash.

http://www.airtightinteractive.com/simpleviewer/

As far as something that will let you edit flash scripts and work with templates and also a product that has lots of premade scripts, you might check out:

http://www.swishzone.com/index.php?area=downloads

Keep in mind that there is often quite a challenge when using Flash based sites to score well in the search engines.

Cheers,
rfs
I am good with html but the basic html site just looks outdated. Maybe I should just stick with that and make the best of it. Do the search engines agnore flash sites ? I never herd that before. The rule a few years ago was that flash sites did not load verywell with some computers. But I don't think that is the case anymore so I was going to try it.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photo Visit That_Look_Photo's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photo

Old 12-30-2006, 02:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

The problem with pure Flash sites, is there is very little for the search engines to index. SEs work by looking for text on the site and putting that text into an index. If you check out SimpleViewer, it would be easy to create a hybrid site that is based on HTML and CSS and use the SimpleViewer as the mechanism for displaying your photos.
Cheers,
rfs

View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 12-31-2006, 10:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55362
Comments: 0

nakins is offline IP: 70.232.66.11

I don't know who it was that got photographers convinced that they had to have a Flash web site, but he needs to be run out of town, tarred and feathered. Flash is a great tool that is totally abused. Most of the people in the US are still on dailup, about 60/40 over all. but even if everyone was on broadband, there still need to be a compelling reason to use Flash. Flash is great for what it was meant to do, which was to provide sound and animation elements, basically, a replacement for the animated gif. But, you have 4 seconds from the time a user clicks your address, to the time that your site should load. That is the amount of time a user will allow. If your site doesn't load enough stuff in that time to keep the user happy, they will go somewhere else. Flash intros suck, and are skipped more often then not. And how many talking picture frames do you have in your house? So, please, no sound on your website. And if your worried that I'll steal your pictures, I can sreen cap anything you got, flash or not.

What I suggest you do, is to spend a few bucks on having a nice design made for a sign/logo. It could be all letters or letters and art. Go to Letterhead Fonts and look around. also Myfonts. Buy a nice font, or design and stick with html/css. If you need a gallery, then there are a number of options. Keep your front page quick loading and deliver your message in a concise manner.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to nakins Find More Posts by nakins

Old 12-31-2006, 05:56 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

I agree about the speed of flash sites and as I've already mentioned, they don't do well in the search engines. I hate the intros and always skip them and if I hit a site with automatic sound, I instantly leave and never return (it scares the cats).

But flash can sometimes be useful on sort of the back end of a site. If you want a fancy way to view photos, then it can provide that. If you want short videos, it can provide that. As protection of photos, its not very useful, although a little better than nothing. The secret is to keep it in its proper place. Don't put it on the main pages, but if you want to use it for special effects once a user gets into the site, then that might work. Definitely don't use it for your navigation scheme as more often than not no one can figure out how to navigate many of the flash sites I see.

A photographer should make his site easy to use, and quickly allow the visitor to find representative samples of the photographer's work and let him see those examples at reasonable size. Then give contact information and so forth. Be aware of the search engines, and if you want your site found, then do the basic seo work (or hire someone like me to do it for you).

Cheers,
rfs