Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Wireless Trigger/Receivers
Old 12-28-2006, 05:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51008
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to roastdawgg

roastdawgg is offline IP: 70.174.168.32

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey all, I got some strobes for xmas and have a question regarding wireless (radio) triggers and receivers. The lights are alien bees (please don't feel the need to tell me that shooting with anything less than a professional $2000.00 head is pointless, grow up) and I was wonderin about the generic brand wireless triggers/receivers on ebay. They are universal and 1/4 the price. Anyone used them? Anyone know of any TECHNICAL (NOT SNOBBISH) reason to buy the Alien Bees branded ones? I will not be shooting around others so interference isn't a concern. I just want a wireless system that will function when i want it too. thanks.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to roastdawgg Visit roastdawgg's homepage! Find More Posts by roastdawgg

Re: Wireless Trigger/Receivers
Old 12-28-2006, 05:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35649

tat236 is offline IP: 74.192.116.102

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

My partner and myself have been using the same $60 set we got off of E-Bay almost 2 years ago and they are still going strong
  View Public Profile Send a private message to tat236 Visit tat236's homepage! Find More Posts by tat236

Old 12-28-2006, 06:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45715
Comments: 1

ruben is offline IP: 216.232.56.48

ebay for me too - they are a little light-weight, but for the price you can get a couple of them for less than $100... good deal if you ask me. just make sure you get the 4-channel ones.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ruben Visit ruben's homepage! Find More Posts by ruben

Old 12-28-2006, 06:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 53796

dagwell is offline IP: 69.172.252.164

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruben View Post
ebay for me too - they are a little light-weight, but for the price you can get a couple of them for less than $100... good deal if you ask me. just make sure you get the 4-channel ones.

Actually, go for the 16 channel ones. I prefer those with a battery powered receiver instead of an AC powered receiver like the Alien Bees model. With a battery powered receiver, you can plug the receiver into the Alien Bees wired remote unit. Then you have a cord free camera and also a central location for adjusting all of your lights. You can tape the wired remote cords to the power cords to cut down on clutter.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to dagwell Find More Posts by dagwell

Old 12-28-2006, 09:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Evangelical Ne'er-do-well

Member GG#: 42306
Send a message via Yahoo to ChipBulgin

ChipBulgin is offline IP: 68.55.248.119

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastdawgg View Post
--snip-- I just want a wireless system that will function when i want it too. thanks.
I have friends who use them and they work well _most_ of the time. The deal with any of the wireless trigger systems boils down to the antennas inside of them. Interference, caused by close proximity to light stands or other metal objects near either the transmitter or receiver, can cause the triggers to mis-fire or not fire reliably. Units with internal antennas are more sensitive to the environment they're in and mis-fire more often than units with larger, external antennas. This is true regardless of price. The MicroSync system ($300) is just as bad as the eBay triggers (~$40) in this regard.

The internal antenna units are also more sensitive to orientation. Wireless communication works best if both the Tx antenna and Rx antenna are oriented in the same plane (horizontal, vertical, diagonal, whatever). Rotating your camera from horizontal to vertical can be a source of intermittent operation.

I don't mention the above to scare you off, but rather to point out some of the more common causes of intermittent behavior. You can restore consistent operation by arranging the receivers so that they're not touching the light stands (the most common culprit), or are aligned with the transmitter.

I took a quick look at the AlienBees unit, and for $80 I think I'd get that set before I spent $40 on an eBay set. If the specs are true, the Alien Bees unit has about twice the range and double the number of channels of the ones I've seen on eBay. Plus, AlienBees is known for their great customer support and liberal return policy.

Don't discount the ability to change channels. There are many, many sources of radio interference and sometimes your 'regular' channel gets hammered by outside factors.

-Chip

Old 12-28-2006, 09:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39369
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to SnJPhotography Send a message via Yahoo to SnJPhotography

SnJPhotography is offline IP: 68.228.85.219

I've got the Pocket Wizards but a friend of mine went with the eBay special deal wireless ones (super small, fairly nice build quality). He enjoyed them for the year or so they lasted (mileage may vary of course). He is now investing in the PW units. I've nver had a failure/false trigger of the wizards. But they are pricey

If you are interested in the AB units, there was a set on eBay a day or 2 ago. Seemed reaosnable at the time.

Old 12-28-2006, 10:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Member GG#: 51008
Send a message via AIM to roastdawgg

roastdawgg is offline IP: 70.174.168.32

thank you all for the great info. i will take all of it into consideration when i make my decision. thanks again.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to roastdawgg Visit roastdawgg's homepage! Find More Posts by roastdawgg

Old 12-28-2006, 11:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Evangelical Ne'er-do-well

Member GG#: 42306
Send a message via Yahoo to ChipBulgin

ChipBulgin is offline IP: 68.55.248.119

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnJPhotography View Post
I've got the Pocket Wizards but a friend of mine went with the eBay special deal wireless ones (super small, fairly nice build quality). He enjoyed them for the year or so they lasted (mileage may vary of course). He is now investing in the PW units. I've nver had a failure/false trigger of the wizards. But they are pricey

If you are interested in the AB units, there was a set on eBay a day or 2 ago. Seemed reaosnable at the time.
I also use Pocket Wizards. I've tried pretty much every wireless Tx/Rx combo there is and the Pocket Wizards are hands down the most reliable units I've found. I've never found myself in a situation where they misfire. Not saying they never will, I just haven't ever had it happen to me. I'd be willing to live with an occasional misfire by inexpensive units. But if you're going to shell out ~$300 or so, then the damn things better work every time. And with certain manufacturers, you only need to buy a transmitter because the receivers are built into some strobes. That helps on the cost-side of things.

But the original poster was comparing the AB kit to the eBay units. While I haven't used the AB kit, it seems to be designed in the same vein as the eBay units (small form factor, internal antenna, DIP switches), so I expect that they will perform similarly. But since I don't know which frequency band they operate in nor what the antennas actually look like I can't be sure. But you know AB will stand behind the product, repair or replace them at the drop of a hat, and take them back no questions asked if they don't perform satisfactorily. That would be worth $40 to me.

-Chip

Old 12-29-2006, 12:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 50494

coffee_mon is offline IP: 66.27.204.184

I got the YH881-B off of ebay and they work perfect, infact they look just like the ones AB are selling now except I paid a little over 100$ for 4 sets. They use AC power when plug through the monolights and I haven't had any problems with them. I've heard that the units that are powered by battery on the receiver can be problomatic? For the cost you can't go wrong? Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to coffee_mon Find More Posts by coffee_mon

Old 12-29-2006, 12:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39369
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to SnJPhotography Send a message via Yahoo to SnJPhotography

SnJPhotography is offline IP: 68.228.85.219

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipBulgin View Post
But you know AB will stand behind the product, repair or replace them at the drop of a hat, and take them back no questions asked if they don't perform satisfactorily. That would be worth $40 to me.

-Chip
That point is certainly worth saying again.

I've had extremely good support from the AB units I've owned (granted not wireless triggers). I've had a half dozen lights (including their ring flash unit) and have had no questions on any requests for parts etc when asked. Sounds like a sure thing if you want to "try" before sinking cash on an unknown item off ebay. Last I saw, they had the 60 day no questions asked type return policy. How can you go wrong with that?