Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
after the shots
Old 12-25-2006, 06:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 50522
Comments: 0

randy1 is offline IP: 69.130.236.198

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hello everybody , I'm looking for some info on editing software and was wondering if anybody has or is using Nikons CaptureNX and the results. I am looking at upgrading from the Capture 1 program which kinda sucks to either PS Elements or the NX since I'm shooting Nikon d80 and am poor now ( X-mas present to myself ) I don't feel I need to get the whole PS program . I'd rather get it rite in the camera . Thanks in advance for your valued input pro or con .
  View Public Profile Send a private message to randy1 Find More Posts by randy1

Re: after the shots
Old 12-25-2006, 07:05 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36154

smlucas is offline IP: 205.188.116.67

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

If you are serious, I would suggest that you invest in PS. I have been shooting digital for many years and am a professional. Getting it right in the camera does not mean that it is ready for presentation. It is just your starting point.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to smlucas Visit smlucas's homepage! Find More Posts by smlucas

Old 12-25-2006, 07:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54172
Comments: 5
My Mood:

cifcap is offline IP: 210.124.155.202

I'd say it depends on what you're going to do with your work. I'm an amateur using PSE4 and it's more than I need right now.

JW
  View Public Profile Send a private message to cifcap Visit cifcap's homepage! Find More Posts by cifcap

Old 12-25-2006, 09:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 47013
Send a message via AIM to steve_J

steve_J is offline IP: 205.188.116.67

I am big fan of pse4. get one of the books to go with it for help.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to steve_J Find More Posts by steve_J

Old 12-25-2006, 09:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54388

pgd70s is offline IP: 64.148.30.166

I have both PSE5 and Nikon Capture NX. If you shoot in Raw format the NX program is very good at what it does but is limited in what it can do. Therefore if I could only have one, it would be PSE5. Elements capabilities are greatly understated by most people and this is well illustrated by Mark Galer in his book
"APSE5 Unleash the hidden performance of Elements". Which I would recommend you look at prior to making your purchase. If you want to upgrade latter, what you save on the upgrade from PSE5 to the full version of PS, is greater than your initial investment and would therefore save you money. Good luck and Merry Christmas.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to pgd70s Find More Posts by pgd70s

Old 12-25-2006, 11:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37369

n5wd is offline IP: 68.113.221.108

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy1 View Post
Hello everybody , I'm looking for some info on editing software and was wondering if anybody has or is using Nikons CaptureNX and the results. I am looking at upgrading from the Capture 1 program which kinda sucks to either PS Elements or the NX since I'm shooting Nikon d80 and am poor now ( X-mas present to myself ) I don't feel I need to get the whole PS program . I'd rather get it rite in the camera . Thanks in advance for your valued input pro or con .
Randy,

A few weeks ago, I was asked to give my opinion, as a long time Nikon user, on almost exactly the same situation for a young shooter with limited budget but with great dreams. They were going to receive the D50 and a couple of lenses as a giftand needed to know what extra software was really needed versus what would be desireable. They were planning to shoot RAW most, if not all, of the time and considered the D50 to be the first stepping stone of a progression of professional level equipment (the young shooter will be majoring in photojournalism at college next year, and plans on a photojournalism/editorial photography career at this point in their life).

This young'un has been using Photoshop v7.0 daily in the lab at school, and has dabbled with CS2 on a computer they have access to.

My suggestion was that they really try to budget for both CaptureNX AND Photoshop Elements because they are so very complimentary in nature and effect while not duplicating each other in too many ways.

CaptureNX has the advantage of having what is argueably the best Nikon RAW converter routines inside a very nice utility program. CaptureNX does batch mode RAW adjustments as well as JPEG conversions very quickly, and is great for global changes like color balance, levels, sharpness, etc.

PhotoshopLE does about 80% of what the full version of Photoshop does, and that which is missing is argueably the most esoteric functions of the program, functions that, IMHO, the average user won't miss. LE can crop, heal, filter, and output in the most useable formats - and that's what most non-pro's are going to need most of the time.

Don't get me wrong - when the young shooter can afford to get the full version of Photoshop (probably the academic version through their college bookstore in the fall semester) then go for it by all means - until then, they're using a program they alreayd basically know how to use, and it's a lot quicker on most machines than CS2 (though I havne't tried the CS3 beta, yet).

I know you'd probably like to hear a "get one or the other" but in this case, I don't think that's the best answer for someone that's serious about their photography and wants to get the most out of their images. And, by asking the question on a forum like G1, I gotta assume you're in that category as well.

That help, any?

Old 12-28-2006, 10:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
budgetphotog

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 70.44.200.119

Have you thought about Miscrosoft didgital image suite? For quick edits I use it all the time. Alot of people overlook it but it is easy to use. A quick cloning brush, auto lighting fixes, color fixes and alot more. Check it out. Its fifty or sixty bucks at Sams club.

Dave

Old 12-28-2006, 11:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55362

nakins is offline IP: 70.232.71.56

You might look at GIMP. Gimp is a open source software that can do a lot of stuff, and it free. It may not have the tool set that cs2 has, but if you buy NX, then Gimp might get you by until you can get cs2, or elements.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to nakins Find More Posts by nakins

Old 12-29-2006, 10:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 69.232.175.148

Myself, I use Photoshop exclusively. I've tried Elements and a few other editing programs, but they don't stack up to the full version of Photoshop. I know it's a very pretty penny to shell out that kind of money, but it's worth it IMO. I've used Photoshop for about 10 years, when it was just version 2.5, and am using CS2 now, and did a bit of dabbling with the CS3 beta version. While I don't use all of the features in Photoshop, it's nice to know that they are there if I do need them. Well, that and the features I do use like levels and curves just don't seem to work right in other programs, if that feature is offered at all. Well, this is just my 2 cents. Good luck, I hope with all of the information offered so far, and the subseqant information and recommendations help you along with your decision. But it's been my experience that the other photographers here are pretty good, so all I think are valid, it just comes down to you processing the information and hopefully no matter what software you do choose, it suits you best.

isaiah