Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Strobes or Continuous
Old 12-13-2006, 07:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54528
Comments: 0

Absolutley Digital is offline IP: 202.33.109.12

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I have two sets of strobes (photogenic), I have never used continuous lighting and was wondering is there an upside to using them over strobes?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Absolutley Digital Find More Posts by Absolutley Digital

Re: Strobes or Continuous
Old 12-13-2006, 09:55 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 38048
Send a message via AIM to RSStory Send a message via MSN to RSStory Send a message via Yahoo to RSStory

RSStory is offline IP: 75.41.18.7

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutley Digital View Post
I have two sets of strobes (photogenic), I have never used continuous lighting and was wondering is there an upside to using them over strobes?
In a word.... NO! Use the strobes

Old 12-13-2006, 11:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35218

Doug_Lester is offline IP: 66.32.250.159

There are reasons why 99.9% of professional shooters switched to strobes decades ago and stayed there. With the exception of a few special purposes, strob light is the industry standard.

Food for thought ...
Old 12-13-2006, 11:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Lester View Post
There are reasons why 99.9% of professional shooters switched to strobes decades ago and stayed there. With the exception of a few special purposes, strob light is the industry standard.
But in that era when everyone switched, virtually everyone was using film based cameras. Now with the huge switch to digital, the question is rightfully asked, does the same reasoning that caused the switch then still apply? As new "hot" light technologies develop, will there be a period in the future, when what now seems the standard, gets changed again? I've worked, for example, with some rather amazing fluorescent lights in the last year that give you incredible control and give you large amounts of light and it is "cool" light so any light modifiers can be used without any risk.

So my point is, that today's standard, may be tomorrows history. We must always be ready to evaluate the newer technologies to see what they can do for us and be willing to embrace them if they offer superior advantages.

Click for larger version
Food for thought ... 

Model is Lindsey and was shot with "hot" lights.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 12-13-2006, 11:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 52576
My Mood:

TheGoldy is offline IP: 198.188.145.106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug_Lester View Post
Could you give us some of those reasons? With the exception of the extra heat produced by having the lights on all the time, what difference does it make if the same light source is there for a fraction of a second or for minutes at a time? The camera is only going to see it for its own fraction of a second anyway. Or is a strobe a different type of light than what is produced by a continuous source?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to TheGoldy Find More Posts by TheGoldy

Old 12-13-2006, 12:11 PM   #6 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.25.247.217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutley Digital View Post
There are upsides and downsides to everything we use. They all serve purposes. Depending on applications, working environment and comfort zones of equiptment, will determine upsides and downsides.

Several successful photographers continue to shoot with HMI lighting and find that more appropriate for their style vs strobes.

You can also use both strobes and hot lights at the same time. So there are upsides.

Downsides if your continuous light source is not very powerful, you are strapped to shooting at very low shutter speeds and wide open aperture settings.

Downsides if your continuous light source is Home Depot. One has to be a craftsman if light modifiers are desired.

Keep in mind that strobes will freeze action. It's basically a high shutter speed in itself.

See there are lots of upsides and downsides. Figuring out applications is more important.

You have heard the saying, "you don't take a dog to a pony show", applies here.

J T
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Old 12-13-2006, 12:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
J T Smith

Member GG#: 35390

jtsmith is offline IP: 12.25.247.217

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldy View Post
Could you give us some of those reasons? With the exception of the extra heat produced by having the lights on all the time, what difference does it make if the same light source is there for a fraction of a second or for minutes at a time? The camera is only going to see it for its own fraction of a second anyway. Or is a strobe a different type of light than what is produced by a continuous source?

Why don't you go to your local Home Depot or Walmart and pick up a couple 500 watt shop lights and find a subject to photograph. Do your own testing. The best way to figure out for yourself is actually experience it for yourself. Put a fan in the equation to make the hair flow, have the model wave at you, have the model jog in place, have her spin around, etc.

You can always use the shop lights out in the garage if it doesn't pan out for you.

J T
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jtsmith Visit jtsmith's homepage! Find More Posts by jtsmith

Old 12-13-2006, 01:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pro Shooter

Member GG#: 38375
Comments: 2

jimmyd is offline IP: 67.49.32.15

continuous hot lights can be problematic. JT's response gives good examples of this. HMI's are great but they're very expensive even compared to the highest-end strobes. for the intensity and control afforded by strobes, i think it's the best deal in town. if you're concerned about seeing what you're getting, use strobes with modeling lights.

My NSFW blog
: http://prettygirlshooter.blogspot.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jimmyd Visit jimmyd's homepage! Find More Posts by jimmyd

Old 12-13-2006, 02:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 52576
My Mood:

TheGoldy is offline IP: 198.188.145.106

Thank you, JT. I didn't think about the motion issue and the possibility of the camera not being able to stop it on its own because of having to use a slower shutter speed.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to TheGoldy Find More Posts by TheGoldy

Old 12-13-2006, 04:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54528

Absolutley Digital is offline IP: 202.33.109.12

Thanks all. I needed that.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Absolutley Digital Find More Posts by Absolutley Digital