Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Help with Mac and printer cal
Old 12-12-2006, 07:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Member GG#: 3
Comments: 1

Michael H Dean is offline IP: 71.224.136.147

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Ok I took the plunge and switched to MAC. Now I need help. I am using an Epson 2200 and Photoshop CS2. I have the Macbook at this time and hoping to get a desktop in the next few months. My images never looked better on monitor but when printed they are sick. I have tried everything to get them looking close to the monitor with no luck. I am ordering a cal program but would at least like to print an image tahts close to what I see.

Can someone offer me some help. I will gladly call just let me know.

I will upload an image to show what they look like on line here. No p[rocessing done. Yes it needs some adjustments but oif I try to print it, it comes out all washed oout and dull.

Click for larger version
Help with Mac and printer cal 
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Michael H Dean Find More Posts by Michael H Dean

Re: Help with Mac and printer cal
Old 12-12-2006, 07:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36482
Comments: 2

lsc1 is offline IP: 70.144.61.46

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'm just taking a wild shot here because there are so many things it could be, but since you're new to Macs, are you aware the gamma calibration is 1.8 on a Mac while it's 2.2 on PC's. Some setting on monitor or in the software may not be set to use this value which could be throwing things off a lot. Try starting with the gamma and let us know what it turns out to be. Good Luck.

Cheers,
LSC
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsc1 Find More Posts by lsc1

Old 12-12-2006, 02:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.200

Just looking at the image on my monitor, it appears too dark and the contrast seems off. Keep in mind that what looks good on a Mac screen may not show that well on the web unless you use Save for Web and have it set up correctly.
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 12-12-2006, 06:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36573

FrankParis is offline IP: 68.58.247.2

Ok, your going through the same problems I had. I use the same printer. My computer is a G-5, but all that doesn't matter unless yoursettings are correct. First and most important are you usuing the correct paper profiles?? If not it will never match your monitor.
Let photshop determine color correction.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:44 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55362
Comments: 0

nakins is offline IP: 70.232.86.165

I had bought a mac book pro and an epson r2400 printer, and I had pure hell with it. I had to reinstall the mac os, then update it, at the suggestion of epson support. But, this isn't your problem. As others have stated, there are a load of things that need to be set correctly for the image to come out on paper right. Paper profile is one, which you can probably choose when the printer utility opens up after you click print in PS. Thats how it works on my r2400 anyway. You also have a printer driver/profile which needs to match your os version. You may need to upgrade your os and then get the lastest driver. Then, you need to make sure your settings in ps are correct. I doubt that you have a calibration issue. Images should be ballpark, not way off. I did find a few things on the web about this whole issue, But I didn't save any links, sorry.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to nakins Find More Posts by nakins

Old 12-12-2006, 10:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 72.153.111.123

As has already been said, there's a whole slew of things you need to make sure are set correctly before you print. I have the same printer, so here's what I do.

Go to File --> Print with Preview
Click Page Setup at the right.
Choose your printer in the "Format for" list, and your paper size in the "Paper Size" list, then click "OK".

Back in the Print with Preview window, choose "Color Management" in the drop-down menu underneath the preview of the print at the left. Make sure "Document" is selected in the "Print" section (I always make sure my document profile is Adobe RGB 1998).

In the "Options" section, choose "Let Photoshop Determine Colors" for Color Handling. For Printer Profile, choose the appropriate printer paper and black ink profile for the paper and ink you're using (for example, if I'm printing with Photo Black ink and using Premium Luster paper, the profile I'd use is "SP2200 Premium Luster_PK"). For Rendering Intent, nine times out of ten you'll want either "Perceptual" or "Relative Colorimetric". Most of the time they look very close, but sometimes you can see a slightly noticeable difference (you can check it before you print it if you do a soft proof on screen). Make sure Black Point Compensation is checked.

Now click Print.
Make sure your printer is selected at the top of the new screen.
Click the drop-down menu that says "Copies & Pages" and go down to "Print Settings". For Media Type, choose your paper again (in this example, Premium Luster Photo Paper). I usually then click "Advanced Settings" and make any other adjustments I want (none of which should have an effect on the color of the print).

The last thing you want to do is click the drop-down menu above from "Print Settings" to "Color Management". Make sure "No Color Adjustment" is selected.

After all this is done, then you can click Print, and that should get you an image that looks more like what you see on screen.

Hope this helps!

Sam
http://sambeasley.tumblr.com
http://www.lalluredesmots.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley