Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Posing Models
Old 12-09-2006, 04:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54894
Comments: 0

ultrastar is offline IP: 69.138.71.18

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hello Everyone,
I am new to this site and glamour photography. I have recently discoved that one of my big weaknesses is posing models for this type of photography. Last week I did a shot with a nice looking young lady where all the poses that I could come up with were very basic and plain when I could come up with any at all. The photos came out very cookie cutter like not flowing and natural like I see in a lot of the work that is on this site. But what I did notice is their were one or two photos that came out a little better when I just took shoots of her where she was relaxed and I didnt pose her. So I guess what I want to know is if anyone could tell me how I can develop better posing or refer me to a book,posing guide,software or something I could use to practice with. Maybe even offer some tips or ideas for a new guy like myself on how the pros get such natural and attractive results. Thanks
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ultrastar Find More Posts by ultrastar

Re: Posing Models
Old 12-09-2006, 06:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54528

Absolutley Digital is offline IP: 202.33.109.12

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

http://www.photographytips.com/page.cfm/5858

I think this will give you a start. I have exactly the same issues you have with posing. My freaking mind just goes blank (rather more blank) I feel it has to do with my level of confidence also.

I have a couple of poses i pull out, but it is not an arsenal by any means.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Absolutley Digital Find More Posts by Absolutley Digital

Old 12-09-2006, 01:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutley Digital View Post
http://www.photographytips.com/page.cfm/5858

I think this will give you a start. I have exactly the same issues you have with posing. My freaking mind just goes blank (rather more blank) I feel it has to do with my level of confidence also.

I have a couple of poses i pull out, but it is not an arsenal by any means.
The book you mention is a good one and has lots of great ideas (I've been using my copy for several years).

I find myself, however getting more use out of the book "Gil Elvgren All his glamorous American pin-ups" by Martignette and Meisel. I picked mine up at a used book store for $10. It has 270 pages and over 500 illustrations. These are all pretty much classical pin-up and they give you good starting points and the models usually get a big kick out of seeing them.

There are many books of art of this sort from the 50's era, etc. and this link will show you a vast number of possibilities

http://www.thepinupfiles.com/elvgrenindex.html

Here is one of my shots done in this pin-up style and based on an actual Rockwell idea:

Click for larger version

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 12-09-2006, 04:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54740

gunstar34 is offline IP: 74.39.16.26

Just an idea, what I did when I first started is as I saw poses in some of my magazines (maxim, fhm ect..) I would cut them out and put them into a 3 ring binder, before a shoot, I would flip thru the pages just to get the mind in the right frame for shooting.

Old 12-09-2006, 05:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Aspiring Photographer

Member GG#: 50625

CatCynic is offline IP: 220.253.50.47

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunstar34 View Post
Just an idea, what I did when I first started is as I saw poses in some of my magazines (maxim, fhm ect..) I would cut them out and put them into a 3 ring binder, before a shoot, I would flip thru the pages just to get the mind in the right frame for shooting.
Those magazines have photos? I thought you just read them for the articles...
  View Public Profile Find More Posts by CatCynic

Old 12-09-2006, 05:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 42991
My Mood:

DocSmith is offline IP: 65.0.130.79

Don't forget to use the model as a resource for poses, too. You can always suggest that she bring some tear-outs from magazines she reads (or, at least, looks at) to the photo session and start to build a portfolio that way. You're more likely to get good results if the model is in poses she likes or thinks she wiould look good in. If you notice next time you're in the check-out line at the grocery store, most "women's" magazines these days have sexier covers than the "men's" magazines!

Doc
Gulf Breeze, Florida 32562
(850) 712-0639
www.michaelsmithphotography.biz

Studio One Pensacola
103 W. Intendencia Street
Pensacola, FL 32502
(850) 712-0639
www.studioonepensacola.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DocSmith Visit DocSmith's homepage! Find More Posts by DocSmith

Old 12-09-2006, 05:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 42194
Comments: 5
Send a message via AIM to Titan Send a message via Yahoo to Titan

Titan is offline IP: 71.205.160.125

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatCynic View Post
Those magazines have photos? I thought you just read them for the articles...
Sometimes the articles are about how to pose a model.

Old 12-09-2006, 06:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Member GG#: 35406

Al_Nowak is offline IP: 69.208.255.70

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrastar View Post
... one or two photos that came out a little better when I just took shoots of her where she was relaxed and I didnt pose her....
...offer some tips or ideas for a new guy like myself on how the pros get such natural and attractive results.
A number of things come to mind. Firstly, there have been a couple of good suggestions already made so I'll not revisit those.

Next, a lot depends on establishing a rapport with the model. If she feels truly comfortable, you're a lot further down the road towards getting the results you want. But you can blow that rapport easily, so always be aware of it. That's not to say you have to tiptoe around her, just be conscious of the fact that what you do and say can change the atmosphere like a lightning bolt.

The environment can affect your results too. If in a studio type setting, is it clean and warm, is there some music in the background, is she intimidated by too much 'stuff' too close to her?

If on location, are there a bunch of on-lookers, is it a 'safe' place, is it noisy or quiet?

A lot of factors go into creating appropriate environments for good pictures, after a while you'll recognize them automatically and make the necessary adjustments.

One technique I've used with some success for getting relaxed shots is just to distract the model by giving her a simple task to perform. Tying a shoe, straightening a collar, smoothing a shirt front... just about anything can work, especially if you incorporate it into the image.

You can also use a simple prop; hand her a magazine to leaf through, have her change earrings, hand her a simple toy or prop, even just a small mirror will momentarily distract her and give you the results you want.

As for poses, you'll develop a repertoire of techniques for getting models to respond appropriately to your directions. But don't get trapped into just using a set of 'canned' poses. Often, spontaneous poses are the best of the bunch.

Working with experienced models helps a lot... it's just a matter of some experience.

Elvis has left the building...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Al_Nowak Find More Posts by Al_Nowak

Old 12-09-2006, 11:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54894

ultrastar is offline IP: 69.138.71.18

Thanks for all the helpful info you guys It has already motivated me to correct this short coming and I know it will be a big help. I am so glad i found this site!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to ultrastar Find More Posts by ultrastar

Old 11-25-2007, 02:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36227

Pro_Phase_Photo is offline IP: 68.107.137.98

my .02 cents. I was the same way. What I did was look through a bunch of websites then copy the pictures I liked and made a Word document book of them. I wanted to get an idea of the photos I liked. I then photographed the model later. The funny thing that happened was I would suggest a shot, and then maybe she would come up with a pose of her own. She was a semi-pro I hired. It was a lot of fun and we would bounce ideas off of each other. The shots felt like they would basically create themselves and I was just there to take a record of it.
I think it was great that I hired a model at the beginning because later when I would photograph someone who maybe wanted to get into the business. Then I knew more of the posing techniques and it didn't feel like we were both learning this business and they could feel more at ease in my work. I would also have her come up with posing ideas too. It seemed to me again the most natural looking shots were the ones where we worked together. I think if someone hires you though, you have to have most of the poses in mind beforehand.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Pro_Phase_Photo Visit Pro_Phase_Photo's homepage! Find More Posts by Pro_Phase_Photo