Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
AB Softboxes II / Compatibility
Old 12-06-2006, 05:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 43515
Comments: 0

DHDSP is offline IP: 80.69.192.135

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi everyone,

The last couple of days I've been trying to find an Octobox (5 feet) for my AB's in the <300-400 $ price range, with grid option (as my "studio" is small).

I looked at the following brands and they all have some problem or another:

* AB - no grids available (web) , cheaper design
* Chimera - expensive
* Richter - cheaper design (like AB), no grids, Balcar adapter available
* Elinchrom - no adapter available, probably no grids
* Walimex - cheap design, only broncolor adapter available, grid inclusive!

My preference - ignoring all problems and grid costs - would be the Elinchrom Rotalux, because of the umbrella design and better quality. But they seem to have the mount integrated , so adapting would be a problem.

I learned from my beauty dish, that Hensel mounts "kinda" fit, but no real "lock". For a beauty dish, that's OK, but probably not for a 5 feet octobox... So Hensel mounts are not really an option either.

Would a broncolor mount work ? They seem to have the right size.
This would allow me to buy the cheap walimex design, incl. grid and broncolor mount for 150€ + shipping (total about 200$)

TIA
Peter

PS: made a new thread becaus the other AB Softbox thread seems to go

Re: AB Softboxes II / Compatibility
Old 12-06-2006, 08:24 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39369
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to SnJPhotography Send a message via Yahoo to SnJPhotography

SnJPhotography is offline IP: 68.228.85.219

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Also check out Photoflex.

Old 12-06-2006, 11:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.200

Also check Amvona. There stuff comes from Germany and is pretty good quality and very durable.
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 12-06-2006, 12:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48023
Comments: 1

bc_shutterbug is offline IP: 70.66.195.104

Another vote for Amvona. I got my 5 foot octabox for under $100 to Canada - including shipping! - through an eBay auction. I was really impressed with everything except the bag that it is supposed to pack into, which came apart at the seams (literally) within a couple months. But the octabox is awesome. Came with speed ring, separate grid, and baffle inserts in silver and gold that velcro attach inside to alter the color of the light.

I've bought quite a bit from Amvona, and am consistently impressed with the quality and price. I know it's not chimera, but I don't have a chimera budget yet, and I feel that my Amvona gear will last at least a few years until I have a budget for the better stuff.

And in the end... it's the results that matter, not the name on your gear!

Cheers!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bc_shutterbug Visit bc_shutterbug's homepage! Find More Posts by bc_shutterbug

Old 12-06-2006, 12:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

I've bought most of my Amvona stuff using the eBay auction. If you just keep watching you eventually get one where you can get a real steal and its all brand new merchandise. I noted a current auction for the 7' octabox and lights also that closes in a few hours and is only up to $57. Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PHOTO-DIGITAL-VI...QQcmdZViewItem

Is this similar to the one you got?

Cheers,
rfs

View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 12-06-2006, 12:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 48023
Comments: 1

bc_shutterbug is offline IP: 70.66.195.104

That's the whole kit! stand, hot light, and 7 foot octabox!

I've got the 5 footer of the same light bank (octabox), without the stand and light. I don't (and likely won't) use hot lights for my work. If you view my profile pics (Old System - I guess I have to move my pictures soon!), all of the ones with white seamless were taken with the 5 footer as front fill running off a 150 WS Monolight.

Did you catch the list price of that lighting kit?! $1450 USD! Looks like a real steal, even if you don't use the light. Hmmm....

Cheers!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bc_shutterbug Visit bc_shutterbug's homepage! Find More Posts by bc_shutterbug

Old 12-06-2006, 01:29 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc_shutterbug View Post
That's the whole kit! stand, hot light, and 7 foot octabox!

I've got the 5 footer of the same light bank (octabox), without the stand and light. I don't (and likely won't) use hot lights for my work. If you view my profile pics (Old System - I guess I have to move my pictures soon!), all of the ones with white seamless were taken with the 5 footer as front fill running off a 150 WS Monolight.

Did you catch the list price of that lighting kit?! $1450 USD! Looks like a real steal, even if you don't use the light. Hmmm....

Cheers!
The list price is about double the real world retail price. But I guess in the Photographic industry we are used to seeing that, and its expected.

The light looks similar to a Starlite which by itself would be around $400. So if someone gets this for $100 or so, then they will get a real bargain.

Found one of their auctions for just the box:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PHOTO-LIGHT-SOFT...QQcmdZViewItem

They show a retail of $980 for that. But its going for $51.

Cheers,
rfs

Old 12-07-2006, 02:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
Also check Amvona. There stuff comes from Germany and is pretty good quality and very durable.
Cheers,
rfs
Now that is interesting. I live in Germany, and I have never heard of Amvona. I wonder what company produces/distributes the boxes here.

Old 12-07-2006, 02:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

I see this one went for 160$... Great, almost incredible price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
I've bought most of my Amvona stuff using the eBay auction. If you just keep watching you eventually get one where you can get a real steal and its all brand new merchandise. I noted a current auction for the 7' octabox and lights also that closes in a few hours and is only up to $57. Here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PHOTO-DIGITAL-VI...QQcmdZViewItem

Is this similar to the one you got?

Cheers,
rfs

Old 12-07-2006, 01:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHDSP View Post
Now that is interesting. I live in Germany, and I have never heard of Amvona. I wonder what company produces/distributes the boxes here.

The company is called Dynaphos. Apparently I was wrong in my memory when I said Germany. It is actually Bulgaria. But now I see that since I last looked at their site they are actually doing the manufacturing of the components in Shanghai.

http://dynaphos.com/eindex.php

cheers,
rfs