Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
I bought 2 hensel 500w monolights- now what else to get for portraits?
Old 11-21-2006, 01:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54414
Comments: 0

jinspin is offline IP: 24.254.93.104

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I like to shoot portrait and fashion photos.

I just bought and setup 2 hensel 500w monolight kit with radio transmitter and 1 softbox.

Now I was thinking what else I should add for taking portraits and fashion? There are so many lighting gadgets around.
I was thinking of getting either a hensel 3rd monolight, a hensel beauty dish, or an octodome from photoflex or chimera. I saw the hensel ringflash which looks cool but thats for vela battery.

Any recommendations? Anything else I am missing and should really get?
Thanks
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jinspin Find More Posts by jinspin

Re: I bought 2 hensel 500w monolights- now what else to get for portraits?
Old 11-21-2006, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.200

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Before you buy more toys why not see what you can do with what you already have. You have everything needed to take masterful photos. Great glamour is not about all the latest lighting gadgets, but about using the light that's there creatively. Why not include with your post some samples of what you've done and then we can discuss how to use the lights that you now have.

Above shot of Lindsey is done with one homemade type light with a net cost of about $100.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 11-21-2006, 02:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Hi

Thanks but thats really not answer what I was looking for. Nice picture though.
Looking for help from other people who have experience with all these lighting tools and looking for that sharp maxim/fhm look.
I want to have a good start for a studio and then not have to buy anything for awhile.

oh i also ordered that dean collins lighting dvd which is suppose to be really good.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to jinspin Find More Posts by jinspin

Old 11-21-2006, 02:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Yes, all the Dean Collins stuff is great. I attended a number of his workshops back in he 80's and they were great. I also subscribed to his Finelight series for the time it was in existence. There is also a copy of is Tinkertubes book that is a free download from his old site. You can build many great lighting props using the directions in it. Here is the link, if you're interested:

http://www.software-cinema.com/page/tinkertubes

Quote:
Looking for help from other people who have experience with all these lighting tools and looking for that sharp maxim/fhm look.
What I was driving at in my original response, is that what you have right now will let you do the maxim/fhm look.

But if you're looking for other things to make things easier, consider some really good reflectors like the one Jeff Black sells for example. Be sure to get some black reflectors and stands and clamps to be able to place them strategically.

Cheers,
rfs

View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 11-21-2006, 04:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

strobist.com gave dean collins rave review.

Check this also out

http://www.samys.com/articles/robert...02118d0881ce68...

The picture of the girl with chimera octaplus looks amazing. So tempted to get that but before i shell out wanted to see any other recommendations. Was thinking of 1000w/s interfit paterson with this octaplus

Old 11-21-2006, 05:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

You might also check out Amvona. Here is a link to a nice octa modifier:

http://www.amvona.com/v7/shop/?page=...roduct_id=2346

I've had good luck with Amvona and the prices are quite reasonable. Also most all of their modifiers will work well with hot lights.

Cheers,
rfs

Old 11-21-2006, 08:39 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54108
Send a message via AIM to DavidsStudio

DavidsStudio is offline IP: 66.25.130.63

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinspin View Post
oh i also ordered that dean collins lighting dvd which is suppose to be really good.
Look at the last DVD first. You'll be amazed at the lighting he does with just one light.

David
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DavidsStudio Visit DavidsStudio's homepage! Find More Posts by DavidsStudio

Old 12-01-2006, 08:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39369
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to SnJPhotography Send a message via Yahoo to SnJPhotography

SnJPhotography is offline IP: 68.228.85.219

Some things to consider getting.

Black foil - used to modify your lighting, very adaptive to many things.

Black and/or white foam core boards from Staples etc - again, for llight control/flagging

Gaffers tape - the duct tape of photography, enough said

Clothes pins/mini clamps - makes clothes fit like they were tailored, holds things together temporarily while you take your snaps.

sand bags/weights - Hold those stands in place and keep from damaging your nice new lights.

Electrical power strip/extension cord - I have a 25ft one that reels into its self and has a 4 outlet socket on the reel, couldn't live without it on location. Funny story, I had a shoot at a salon where they wanted to work in an area that didn't have power outlets. Ever seen a grown man trying to daisy chain power strips for 20 feet....while cussing the fact he didn't have a extension in his location box? Since then I never leave home without it.

And of course all the stuff thats ever been made by Bogen and Mathews for gaffing etc.....but that will come in time....

Just my 2 bits...

Cheers.

Scott