Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Creating DOF ...
Old 11-21-2006, 01:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.200

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Here is an experiment in creating additional DOF in a photo. The shot presented is of Holley Dorrough and was shot at f8. But I wanted it to look like it was shot at around f2 to 2.8 so I experimented with the lens blur filter in CS2. What do you think? Also how do you think the glasses worked out?

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Re: Creating DOF ...
Old 11-21-2006, 04:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54002
Comments: 0

Saltwater Servitude is offline IP: 24.26.237.131

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I like the glasses. Always was a sucker for girls with bad eyesight or maybe it is because they are the only ones who will give me the time of day...I digress.

The pose however doesn't work for me. She looks hunched over and it gives me the impression that she is very stocky or over weight. It does make her bustline look larger, but at the expense of the overall effect.

The lens blur works to an extent, but I think it would be a little more effective if the right should was slightly blurred as well. I can't say why, its just the impression I get.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Saltwater Servitude Visit Saltwater Servitude's homepage! Find More Posts by Saltwater Servitude

Old 11-21-2006, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 45260
Send a message via AIM to BGPhoto

BGPhoto is offline IP: 64.207.15.254

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Fredrick_Smith View Post
Here is an experiment in creating additional DOF in a photo. The shot presented is of Holley Dorrough and was shot at f8. But I wanted it to look like it was shot at around f2...
It looks okay, for a plug-in. There's no way for the plug-in to know relative distances of things, so it can't come close to reproducing the physics that would have limited DOF in-camera.

And I know this wasn't really your question, but I noticed you using the term DOF incorrectly, and I see this all the time. Since we do have a pretty healthy group of new photographer that peruse the board...I thought I 'd point this out.

The zone of acceptable sharpness in a photo is referred to as the depth of field. So to create additional DOF would be to bring more of the photo into focus, which is accomplished by using a smaller aperture, not a larger one.

The effect the plug-in was trying to emulate is a reduction in DOF, not an increase.

Sorry for the thread-jack.

Old 11-21-2006, 03:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

You're right about the use of DOF. I was using the acronym very loosely to save time in typing. What I was trying to express is what you suggest that I was experimenting with reducing the actual area of the photo that was in focus.

To do this, I simply used the "lens blur" on the whole photo, then changed back to the previous step in the History palette. I then set the source of the history brush to the lens blur step that was now undone. I then painted lightly over the areas that I felt would be further from the eyes (which were the focus point in the shot). So I painted over part of the fingers furthest from the glasses and on the arm and part of the hair in the bust area.

Unfortunately, I didn't have the best pose to work with since at the time I was concentrating more on the glasses. So keeping that in mind, this is mainly an experiment in how close one can simulate a reduction in DOF using the built in tools in Photoshop.

So did it work very well, is the question? For example, look at the little finger on the right. In the original shot this was as sharp as the finger touching the glasses. Does this look like normal blur due to DOF factors?

Thanks for the comments, and point well taken!

Cheers,
rfs

View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 11-21-2006, 07:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 49523

Steve_Buchanan is offline IP: 207.255.182.43

Using post to create a selective focus look is always tricky. It can be done but it takes A LOT of time to get it right. In direct response to your question about the fingers - the near finger is too soft. If it were that out of focus due to shallow dof, then more of her face, including the glasses, tip of nose, as well as her shoulders, ears, top of head etc would be softer. To get dof that shallow you need to be very close in order to exaggerate the relative distances.

Your workflow is a good start but I would recommend using layers and layer masks. This not only allows for the transparency that history brush does but also allows you to use gradations as well as overall global transparency on the blurred layer.

One of the great things about ps (or maybe horrible things) is that you can do the same thing 47 million different ways.

Old 11-21-2006, 10:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Buchanan View Post
Your workflow is a good start but I would recommend using layers and layer masks. This not only allows for the transparency that history brush does but also allows you to use gradations as well as overall global transparency on the blurred layer.
Normally I would use a different work flow for regular production work. See my tutorial here:

http://www.glamour1.com/forums/digit...tml#post217556

For the layer mask method. Also for something like this DOF work, one would use gradients in the masks to get the variation in distance from one point to another in the amount that is in and out of focus. I was playing with the history brush method just to see how effective it might be using the "lens blur" filter (which is very new to Photoshop, and has some interesting controls).

Thanks for your notes and comments.

Cheers,
rfs