Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Changing the skin color
Old 11-13-2006, 04:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 47251
Comments: 0
My Mood:

Zakd is offline IP: 195.252.85.135

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Here is one photo that Ive made few days ago when still there was Sun.It was just before the sunset and shot was taken in the shadow with a little fill in flash.
Unfrortunate I did not get the color of the skin that I wanted and in PSD I'm not sure how to do it.
I would like to have more of the golden look of the skin or more of the red-yellow look as this is too cold looking skin. I ve tried with photo filter to warm it but still it is not what I would like to have...
Your suggestions are more than welcome
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Zakd Find More Posts by Zakd

Re: Changing the skin color
Old 11-13-2006, 05:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54528

Absolutley Digital is offline IP: 202.33.109.12

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

This is a techique I use:

First: Quick Edit (Q Key); select the brush tool (B Key), adjust brush(double check, making sure your color pallette is set to black as the fore color and white as the background); set opacity to about 80% and with one pass select the models skin.

Second: Exit Quick Edit (Q Key); you should see you selection now CTRL + SHIFT + I to invert the selection and now CTRL J to place your selection onto a new workable layer.

Finally: Create an adjustment layer; bottom of the layers pallette circle that is half white and half black( when the adjustment box appears click OK and the layer will be placed in your layers pallet) NOTE if you make any adjustments before the next step all changes will effect the entire photograph SO WAIT!!!

In closing: press the ALT Key and the place the mouse curser on the line between the adjustment layer and the new skin layer, this will (should) link the photograph. Now reopen the adjustment layer by double clicking the square, and make your hue and saturation adjustments. REMEMBER you still have the opacity settings if you get a little carried away, so you can make it as suttle or as dramatic as you like.

I am sure there are several ways to do what you want and this is how I would approach this particular situation, so you can use it as you will
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Absolutley Digital Find More Posts by Absolutley Digital

Old 11-13-2006, 09:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 49523

Steve_Buchanan is offline IP: 207.255.182.43

I just pulled it down and played with it real quick in PS, I've always found the Hue/Saturation/Lightness command to work well for me. Selectively adjusting the red and yellow channels gave me some descent results.

Steve

Old 11-14-2006, 04:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

My Mood:

Zakd is offline IP: 195.250.110.110

Thanks for reply.... there were some new things that I've learnt and I'm glad about it....thanks again....
But I must say that my attention was to find how to obtain the skin color-that red-yellow or gold looking skin color nothing more.
I try the Hue-saturation option and yellow and red channels to increae but still not close to my interest.....
I'm only interested to know how to obtain the skin color for example through:
selective coloring
Huse/saturation,
channel mixer
or what else...
Do you have to use a certain white balance before shooting and then play in PSD with certain colors(which).... etc
Here is a link to a photo which for example contains the desirable skin color that is looking very attractive.... Hope the owner won't mind I use his photo link...
http://www.glamour1.com/photopost/da...hillary857.jpg

Old 11-14-2006, 08:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 49523

Steve_Buchanan is offline IP: 207.255.182.43

Zak,

Ok, first, Always use a manual color balance when you can. The auto balance setting on the camera will automatically balance out the warmth of your light. If you shot raw this can be adjusted in post production using your camera software or photoshops raw dialog. If you didn't shoot raw, shame on you.

Second, there are significant lighting differences between your shot and the one you referenced. Rolando's shot is underexposed, you can tell by the lack of shadow detail. That lends to greater overall color saturation. Second his light is much more focused and directional - again intensifying the saturation. And third it looks like it's been gelled pretty heavily altering the color.

In your shot you said you shot in shadow with a little fill flash. In that case you're not getting the golden color of the sunset directly but only by what bounces off the sky and ground. Also your fill flash, being white, further washed out what color you did have.

Next time,
Shoot in direct sunlight, if you want to use fill flash tape a gel on it to match the color or live with the hard shadows.
Shoot raw
Manually set white balance
Try some with the exposure under by 2/3 stop or so.

Steve

Old 11-14-2006, 11:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36882
Comments: 2
My Mood:

RonC is offline IP: 24.4.80.198

I think you can best get close to the look your after using Selective Color.
Try:
Neutrals
Cyan -6
Magenta +10
Yellow +30
Black 0

Here is a helpful link about white balance. http://www.glamour1.com/forums/view....olor_the_light

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Nothing stays as good as it once was!
http://www.myspace.com/ronsphotos
  View Public Profile Send a private message to RonC Visit RonC's homepage! Find More Posts by RonC

Old 11-15-2006, 04:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

My Mood:

Zakd is offline IP: 195.250.110.112

Yeah, Thanks, this is some concrete answer and will test it to see If I do understand it very well.....
Thanks once again...