Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Nikon to Canon?
Old 11-02-2006, 12:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54374
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to racket4life

racket4life is offline IP: 24.159.62.56

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

It is time to upgrade all of my equipment. I am currently shooting Nikon. For some reason, I miss my old 1D and the white balance of Canon. I have always felt that Nikon misses a little when it comes to white balance in mixed lighting situations. I wonder if anyone else has experienced that when shooting outside of the studio? So, my question posed is to those of you that have shot with both Nikon and Canon--which way would you steer? And why? I don't want it to turn into a debate over which is better--but just general thoughts as I pick up some new equipment next week. Thanks in advace.

JW
  View Public Profile Send a private message to racket4life Visit racket4life's homepage! Find More Posts by racket4life

Re: Nikon to Canon?
Old 11-02-2006, 08:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Evangelical Ne'er-do-well

Member GG#: 42306
Send a message via Yahoo to ChipBulgin

ChipBulgin is offline IP: 68.55.248.119

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Mixed lighting is going to be tough for any camera. Even the latest offerings from the manufacturers have issues trying to automatically white-balance a scene. The biggest problem with auto-anything is variation from shot to shot. Auto white-balance means that the camera is going to continuously re-evaluate your scene with every shutter press, and you never know what it's going to emphasize and what it's going to de-emphasize. Neither of the brands you mention (or any other for that matter) are going to differ significantly on this issue. You'll be far better off setting your white-balance manually for a given environment.

As far as choosing a brand? What is your investment in Nikon glass like? Owning one lens isn't as big a deal as owning five or seven lenses. So if lens costs aren't an issue, my recommendation is to choose a camera that feels good in your hands and is laid out intuitavely for you. In real, everyday life, most cameras are going to give you very similar results from an actual image standpoint.

Don't get hung up on megapixels, but rather concentrate on how easy the camera is for you to operate. Make sure that the settings you change most are easy to find and set. If there is a particular feature you need (mirror lockup, multiple exposure, ???), make sure the camera If the camera is easy fo you to use, it will get out of your way and let you get on with the business of making photographs.

-Chip

Old 11-02-2006, 09:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54374
Send a message via Yahoo to racket4life

racket4life is offline IP: 24.159.62.56

Thanks for the thoughts, Chip. Much appreciated. I have a considerable investment in Nikon/Nikkor glass. The great thing is that I bought it at an estate sale for nearly nothing. I have about 2.5K in glass but paid around $700 for the lot of it. I have two older bodies--D1X and a D2H that again--I picked up really for almost nothing. The reason I am thinking about heading back to Canon, is that I worked for a local newspaper for a few years and I bought a Canon 1D. Everyone else in the newsroom that was shooting Nikon at the time was floored (as well as I) by the white balance when images were taken with the two of us side by side in the same lighting conditions. I agree with you on the megapixels--I don't own any bodies that have over 6mp's, but have never had to use more. For weddings--the largest I generally print is an 11x14. Rarely will anyone want larger. I do know that if I unloaded my bodies and lenses, I could get another 1D, 20D and some good Sigma 2.8 lenses and still have a little left over to invest a little in some good studio lighting. Thanks again, Chip.

Cheers...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to racket4life Visit racket4life's homepage! Find More Posts by racket4life

Old 11-02-2006, 11:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Evangelical Ne'er-do-well

Member GG#: 42306
Send a message via Yahoo to ChipBulgin

ChipBulgin is offline IP: 68.55.248.119

I recently had the opportunity to borrow a friend's Nikon D200. I was interested in checking this camera out because I have 7 manual focus Nikkor lenses and a Nikon FA that still works like a champ. I haven't used 35mm is about 15 years - my needs are in the medium and large format areas. But the D200 interests me because I can tell it what MF lens I've just put on it and all of the camera's systems completely work. I could use all of my (rather expensive) manual focus lenses on the camera. I haven't played around with any other Nikon DSLR bodies, but the D200 is a very nice camera. I like how the controls are laid out and how the camera feels in my hand.

On the other hand, I just returned from PhotoPlusExpo this evening. While there I had the opportunity to play around with a Canon 5D. It is also a very nice camera, though the user interface drove me nuts. I'd have to rent one for a week to see if it's something I could learn to like because oh-my-lord the images from that camera are exquisite. Canon was showing off their new 60" wide printer by making 3.5 foot x 5 foot prints from 5D images.

I also tinkered with a 1Ds Mk. II. It's amazing how different the user interfaces are between the 1-series Canons and the rest of their line. Owning one of each would probably make me schizoid.

I won't discuss the Hasselblad H3D or Sinar p3 with eMotion 75 back I also played with. Let's just say I found myself wandering around Manhattan looking for a bank with weak security.

If possible, I'd strongly recommend borrowing or renting a camera or two before you make a purchase. If it's a tool you are going to use every day, it ought to get out of your way and let you do your job.

-Chip

Old 11-03-2006, 12:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
donmarco

Member GG#:
Comments:

IP: 76.19.248.210

Quote:
Originally Posted by racket4life View Post
It is time to upgrade all of my equipment. I am currently shooting Nikon. For some reason, I miss my old 1D and the white balance of Canon. I have always felt that Nikon misses a little when it comes to white balance in mixed lighting situations. I wonder if anyone else has experienced that when shooting outside of the studio? So, my question posed is to those of you that have shot with both Nikon and Canon--which way would you steer? And why? I don't want it to turn into a debate over which is better--but just general thoughts as I pick up some new equipment next week. Thanks in advace.

JW
Well I recently switched from nikon to canon as I really wanted FF and liked the IQ of the 5d. With that said, Nikons nail AWB MUCH better than cannon. It's not even close.

As for what you should do, go with whatever spurs you on. If your nikkor glass is decent (i.e. near mint and top of the line) then you'll get back most of the cash when you sell them. I recently unloaded roughtly 5k in nikon gear for around 4400, but I was patient, all equip was in LN, and all in high demand.

the d80,d200 are great cameras as is the 30d and 5d-- just decide and start shooting.