Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Mac/PC Web Compatibility....
Old 10-31-2006, 09:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 45854
Comments: 0
Send a message via AIM to mcherry

mcherry is offline IP: 69.120.103.198

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'm designing a website for my glamour work (www.paramourproductions.com).

I do all of my work on macs. I recently installed a PC here so I could test the site on that platform as well. I have the gamma set the same on both, the mac is calibrated. I have purposely left the PC monitor at factory settings.

On the PC the site and the photos look very washed out compared to how they look on all the macs I see them on (uncalibrated and calibrated). I'm not sure what to do? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Matt
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mcherry Visit mcherry's homepage! Find More Posts by mcherry

Re: Mac/PC Web Compatibility....
Old 10-31-2006, 10:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 43581

PowderDay is offline IP: 71.208.75.67

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I would try making sure all the picture's color profiles are set to the basic sRGB and see if that makes a difference. I believe it is a PC browser issue.

Old 10-31-2006, 10:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55362

nakins is offline IP: 70.232.56.134

I assume that you are using safari on the mac, which can read icc profiles. none of the pc browser can. Also check to see what color gamut(?) your using on the mac, I assume your using the mac color table, instead of the adobe or winwods one. I think you want to use the sRGB model, but google that. there is sRGB and adobe 1999 or something like that. sorry I'm not being specific. I read a thread on pdreview about it.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to nakins Find More Posts by nakins

Old 10-31-2006, 11:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 45854
Send a message via AIM to mcherry

mcherry is offline IP: 69.120.103.198

I set up my monitor (an Apple Cinema HD display, calibrated with a Monaco Optix system) for what it said was a PC standard (2.something?).

Yes, everything is done in sRGB for the web...
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mcherry Visit mcherry's homepage! Find More Posts by mcherry

Old 10-31-2006, 11:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.200

I just looked at the site and they all look quite good to me. I'm on Windows XP on a Laptop LCD using the IE 6 browser.
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 11-01-2006, 02:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 41850
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to DannyZ

DannyZ is offline IP: 129.22.60.147

Dear mcherry,

I'm no expert, but I think the trouble comes from the Apple gamma settings differing from PC gamma settings. Gamma refers to an exponent used to determine how bright to make pixels on a computer screen. The problem arises when different computer systems use different gamma values. I think the Apple gamma exponent is around 1.8 while PC gamma is way up around 2.4.

At any rate, I did a Google search on "mac and pc gamma" The first result was http://www.cgsd.com/papers/gamma.web.html It kinda explains how to work around displaying your images for different gamma systems.

If you calibrated your Cinema display, the Monaco Eye-One system probably set the gamma to be at 2.2, or the "web average" as explained in the link. As for the uncalibrated monitor and graphic card on the PC, there's no telling what the gamma may be. If it's way up there, it can be as high as 2.5, which would most certainly make your images appear too bright.

What about other images you view on the PC? Do they tend to be generally brighter/washed out than the same image on the Mac (i.e. from other websites?)

All the best,
Dan
  View Public Profile Send a private message to DannyZ Visit DannyZ's homepage! Find More Posts by DannyZ

Old 11-01-2006, 08:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 37855
Comments: 1

TomRobin is offline IP: 151.204.242.27

Recently, I bought an iMac and also have my old PC running with a LaCie monitor. I also am using Monaco Optix XR, and they point out that the Mac's have a brighter monitor. Monaco recommends that you set the gamut for both machines to 2.2 (Mac normally uses 1.8). Having done this, I still find the Mac to be a brighter display. I have even tried moving the same file from one machine to the other and printing them on the same Epson printer. Print results are pretty much the same for both color and contrast.

It has been some time since I calibrated the PC, so it may have 'aged' a little to make a darker display. I have to play around with them some more. Very confusing.

Tom
  View Public Profile Send a private message to TomRobin Visit TomRobin's homepage! Find More Posts by TomRobin

Old 11-01-2006, 09:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 50526
Send a message via Yahoo to yassy

yassy is offline IP: 124.100.140.97

I`ve been using this:

http://www.thankyouware.com/gammatoggle.html

It`s shareware but It`s very reliable and worth to download it.hope this help.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to yassy Find More Posts by yassy

Old 11-01-2006, 07:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 49523

Steve_Buchanan is offline IP: 207.255.182.43

You've hit on one of the dirty little realities of the web. I've had this problem as well and I've experimented with multiple color profile embeds and also turning off the embedded profile in my images. I've found this works best. It's also possible that your pc monitor is just screwed up. Are you seeing similar issues with images from other websites? If not, save one of those to your hard drive, open it in PS and see what kind of profile, if any, is in use.

I also went to my local library and looked at my site on several of their monitors and not one of them looked the same. I think it's just something we need to accept when showing are work online.

Maybe the new ie (7?) for Windows will read icc profiles. Any insights from you poor Windows slaves?

Steve

Old 11-01-2006, 07:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 76.186.138.200

Generally if you use the Save for Web option in PHotoshop you'll get the best results across the range of mac and wndow systesm. That is because Save for Web uses websafe colors. I've found that I get fairly consistent results in that manner.
Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith