Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamourô > Garage Glamourô Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Chroma Key and Glamour
Old 10-23-2006, 10:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 55198
Comments: 0

artbyort is offline IP: 66.68.22.222

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Iíve been developing a Chroma Key studio for a year now and the results have been promising. I originally built the studio for stock photography, however, Iíve found many applications for this, including glamour. All thatís needed is a suitable background. I can photograph models at the beach and never leave my studio. Not much fun in that but travel cost and lodging are reduced to only me needing to take the background photo.

Iíve worked out many of the bugs in this technology and studied a local directorís studio to the extent that he would allow. I now think the application is only limited to the imagination of the photographer and the models ability to pretend that sheís at the beach rather than in the studio.

I feel so strongly about this that Iíve deleted all the models from my web page that werenít shot in the C-Key studio.

My question is this; is any other photographer using Chroma key in their work and might like to trade secrets?
  View Public Profile Send a private message to artbyort Visit artbyort's homepage! Find More Posts by artbyort

Re: Chroma Key and Glamour
Old 10-23-2006, 10:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36974
My Mood:

Photomart is offline IP: 24.0.204.220

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Send me a PM and I'll share some "secrets" with you. Until then, check out some of my work on an interactive samples page at: http://www.martysphotography.com/retouching/
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Photomart Visit Photomart's homepage! Find More Posts by Photomart

Old 10-23-2006, 10:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35509

mluter is offline IP: 71.199.238.64

Here's some samples from an earlier thread.

http://www.glamour1.com/forums/main-...et-bikini.html
http://MikeLuter.com
Twitter
MIke Luter (mikeluter) on Twitter
Facebook
Mike Luter - Jacksonville, FL | Facebook
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mluter Visit mluter's homepage! Find More Posts by mluter

Old 10-24-2006, 08:35 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

I guess secret was a poor choice of words. There are things such as retaining my shadows and not having to back light that I tend to keep to myself.

Having the shadows adds depth and realisim to the photo. With out the shadow the image can only be on a dark background or a tight crop. It's the shadows that I'm working on now. This is something that I don't see in other works.

View Public Profile Send a private message to artbyort Visit artbyort's homepage! Find More Posts by artbyort
Last edited by artbyort; 10-24-2006 at 09:34 AM..

Old 10-24-2006, 09:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

These were done in less than 4 minutes. I did this to show the shadow retention.

Old 10-24-2006, 11:18 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran

Member GG#: 46477

atlantashooter is offline IP: 216.199.73.42

How can you use the chromakey backgrounds and avoid having the halo or artificial looking edges on the subjects? From a couple of the expamples posted it looks like it sometimes has the same problems I run into when modifying the background for a regular shot. Can some kind of dedicated software eliminate the "claymation looking" hair and the funky artifacts?

DP Ellis
  View Public Profile Send a private message to atlantashooter Visit atlantashooter's homepage! Find More Posts by atlantashooter

Old 10-24-2006, 11:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35509

mluter is offline IP: 207.69.18.23

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantashooter View Post
How can you use the chromakey backgrounds and avoid having the halo or artificial looking edges on the subjects? From a couple of the expamples posted it looks like it sometimes has the same problems I run into when modifying the background for a regular shot. Can some kind of dedicated software eliminate the "claymation looking" hair and the funky artifacts?

DP Ellis
Here's a link to a Photoshop "plug-in" software that works well.

http://www.digitalanarchy.com/primat...te_update.html
http://MikeLuter.com
Twitter
MIke Luter (mikeluter) on Twitter
Facebook
Mike Luter - Jacksonville, FL | Facebook
  View Public Profile Send a private message to mluter Visit mluter's homepage! Find More Posts by mluter

Old 10-24-2006, 03:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Everything I've read on the internet has been wrong.

Halos:

1st Don't light the background at 1:1. By dropping the light ratio to 1:3 with the background being the lower, I've eliminated most of the splash from the screen.

2nd Don't use green. Skin shows green better than blue.

3rd: Distance from the screen is your friend.

4th Photoshop is the worst choice for background removal. Dedicated SW is more effective and saves tons of time. The studio I was in was hardware based and I believe this is where all the bad info comes from. The HW system needed 1:1 lighting and green screens but I never had it work until I broke all the rules.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Primatte, ultrimatte and a few others are great.

The hair is one of the problems I'm still working on. Blond wispy hair always bleeds the background. Mostly on the edges. Darker hair is easy. Luckly blond hair normally has very little blue in it and a saturation dump on the blue channel after seperation works well. This is also why I won't use a green screen. Unless the hair is pure blond, (ie. not bleached, colored or faded), it has green in it.

I don't back light or use halo lights because these makes the image look fake even if it's not. At the very least it looks like a throwback to the 70's big hair era. A soft magenta light can counter the green from the screen as well as yellow to blue but it makes for more work.

On an average, my models are 3 - 4 feet from the screen and I use a key for the model and an umbrella to fill the shadows and light the screen. These are 4500K hot lights and I use a SB-600 on camera with a -1 stop.

This combo seems to work the best.
Last edited by artbyort; 10-24-2006 at 06:53 PM..

Old 10-24-2006, 06:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 24.0.6.170

Here are a couple:

Here are two examples, the first without the shadow and the 2nd with:

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith