Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Help! Nikon D70 color problem
Old 10-06-2006, 08:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 48197
Comments: 4
My Mood:

BillD is offline IP: 64.136.26.226

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

When I take a picture that has any bright color, especially red, this is how it looks. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

BillD

View Public Profile Send a private message to BillD Find More Posts by BillD

Re: Help! Nikon D70 color problem
Old 10-06-2006, 09:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54374
Comments: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to racket4life

racket4life is offline IP: 24.159.62.56

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

I'm a Nikon shooter--but not a D70...I have a D1X and two D2H's....so I am not too familiar with all of the controls on your body. You posted an image and said you shoot a D70 and it looks like the image here....I think we need more offering from you on what exactly it is that you are unhappy with and we can go from there. If you are talking about high saturation or tone, there surely are controls for that in which you can tone it down within your camera. It may be something you are going to have to tinker with, adjust and shoot until you can dial it in as you want it.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to racket4life Visit racket4life's homepage! Find More Posts by racket4life

Old 10-06-2006, 09:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Free Member

I just took at look at your portfolio here. You posted another image of the same woman in the same dress within your portfolio and there is a dramatic difference in the saturation levels within her dress when you compare the two. Considering that she is in the same dress, the lighting situations were the same? Did you do any adjustments between the two different poses? Just curious and trying to narrow it down. You may check all of your tech data and compare the two images and see what was different--but there is a dramatic difference side by side....
  View Public Profile Send a private message to racket4life Visit racket4life's homepage! Find More Posts by racket4life

Old 10-06-2006, 10:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by racket4life
I just took at look at your portfolio here. You posted another image of the same woman in the same dress within your portfolio and there is a dramatic difference in the saturation levels within her dress when you compare the two. Considering that she is in the same dress, the lighting situations were the same? Did you do any adjustments between the two different poses? Just curious and trying to narrow it down. You may check all of your tech data and compare the two images and see what was different--but there is a dramatic difference side by side....
I used photoshop to decrease the saturation in the image that I posted in my port. I've check out the manual that came with the camera, bought a book for the D70, hoping that would have some answers.

For now, I think I'll try your suggestion to take some pics and adjust the saturation until it looks normal.

Thanks.
BillD

Old 10-06-2006, 10:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 41719
Send a message via AIM to srwatters Send a message via Yahoo to srwatters

srwatters is offline IP: 71.164.138.172

Welcome to the color tone on the D70. It's very well known to oversaturate the reds. I shot several thousand images with a first generation D70 and moved to RAW and used Adobe Camera RAW calibration tab numbers to compensate for the red tones. I found it very bothersome on skin tones. Any pink or ruddy complexions would look terrible without some compensation. Thankfully the D200 I use now does not have this bias.

What mode are you shooting? (RAW, jpg)
What image processing settings? (custom menus)

It's easily correctable, but you have to know what you are doing.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to srwatters Visit srwatters's homepage! Find More Posts by srwatters

Old 10-07-2006, 07:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by srwatters
Welcome to the color tone on the D70. It's very well known to oversaturate the reds. I shot several thousand images with a first generation D70 and moved to RAW and used Adobe Camera RAW calibration tab numbers to compensate for the red tones. I found it very bothersome on skin tones. Any pink or ruddy complexions would look terrible without some compensation. Thankfully the D200 I use now does not have this bias.

What mode are you shooting? (RAW, jpg)
What image processing settings? (custom menus)

It's easily correctable, but you have to know what you are doing.
I am shooting in the AdobeRGB mode, the saturation is set at Normal, the Hue adjustment is "0" and the tone comp is set to custom.

BillD

Old 10-07-2006, 09:43 AM   #7 (permalink)
Free Member

In the color mode, I am shooting with setting as: I (sRGB)
My hue adjustment is set to 0
Image sharpening is set to Normal...

This is with the D2H, mind you and not a D70. One thing that I noticed and mentioned earlier was the two images you have here and how extremely different they are. I am not sure what white balance you are using--but sometimes putting it in 'A' or Auto just does not work. I love Nikon, but Canon's white balance is far superior in my mind. The 'A' white balance in Nikon can be fooled heavily. It looked from the image you posted it was natural light and no flash. If you are shooting that way, you may experiment with the white balance set in 'pre' or the clouds and fire a few test shots. I have foud that setting the white balance manually can sometimes make a work of difference rather than allowing the camera to decide what is best.

Another suggestion is to see how well the images print. Your monitor and mine are assumably considerably different in what the two of us see even though looking at the same image. Take some shots and print them. Use the printing method that you intend to use for giving the prints to your models. You may find that capture to print yeilds great results and your monitor is not calibrated to what you will receive in print. I calibrated my monitor and have found that I am happy with what I get now--and that post-capture processing is minimized.

You probably know all this already....just thinking through the keyboard here and trying to help as best as I can.

Good luck!

Old 10-07-2006, 09:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 39216
Comments: 2
Send a message via MSN to isaiahbrink Send a message via Yahoo to isaiahbrink

isaiahbrink is offline IP: 71.137.157.237

Quote:

This is with the D2H, mind you and not a D70. One thing that I noticed and mentioned earlier was the two images you have here and how extremely different they are. I am not sure what white balance you are using--but sometimes putting it in 'A' or Auto just does not work. I love Nikon, but Canon's white balance is far superior in my mind. The 'A' white balance in Nikon can be fooled heavily. It looked from the image you posted it was natural light and no flash. If you are shooting that way, you may experiment with the white balance set in 'pre' or the clouds and fire a few test shots. I have foud that setting the white balance manually can sometimes make a work of difference rather than allowing the camera to decide what is best.

Another suggestion is to see how well the images print. Your monitor and mine are assumably considerably different in what the two of us see even though looking at the same image. Take some shots and print them. Use the printing method that you intend to use for giving the prints to your models. You may find that capture to print yeilds great results and your monitor is not calibrated to what you will receive in print. I calibrated my monitor and have found that I am happy with what I get now--and that post-capture processing is minimized.

You probably know all this already....just thinking through the keyboard here and trying to help as best as I can.

Good luck!
Well, I haven't had much of a problem with the white balance with my F4s, FM2N, FE, FA, F5, lol, sorry, had to throw film in here somewhere, Kodachrome still kicks some real butt though.

Isaiah

Old 10-07-2006, 10:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Free Member

Sometimes I kick myself for getting rid of my film equipment. There is something about going through Velvia and Kodak chrome slides on a light box that is strongly missed from time to time...and you are right--with slides--white balance was never inacurate....good point!

Old 10-08-2006, 12:40 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Quote:

Good luck!
I shoot most of my outdoor images with the light balance set to "direct sunlight". I'll test the white balance like you suggested to see if that might help.

I checked out this, and other similar images, on both my desktop and laptop with the same results. I realize there still could be a monitor calibration issue, but I think there still is a color problem via the camera.

Thanks for your suggestions.
BillD