Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Photoshop CS Browser and vanishing flags!
Old 09-22-2006, 06:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35265
Comments: 0

Lynn_in_VA is offline IP: 69.255.2.57

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

It's happened to me again -- after carefully screening several hundred images and using the "right-click, flag" operation in the Phsp Browser to flag the special ones -- all the flags VANISHED. The only think I can think of -- I copied the folders to a second disk, and the next time I started Phsp --no flags! Arggh!

Is there some trick to keeping these on the images?! They survive for a week -- starting and stopping the machine -- and then poof!

Thanks for any and all ideas,

Lynn

Re: Photoshop CS Browser and vanishing flags!
Old 09-22-2006, 08:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 24.0.6.170

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_in_VA
It's happened to me again -- after carefully screening several hundred images and using the "right-click, flag" operation in the Phsp Browser to flag the special ones -- all the flags VANISHED. The only think I can think of -- I copied the folders to a second disk, and the next time I started Phsp --no flags! Arggh!

Is there some trick to keeping these on the images?! They survive for a week -- starting and stopping the machine -- and then poof!

Thanks for any and all ideas,

Lynn
It is possibly the way it you've set up Bridge (I assuming the use of CS2 in Photoshop, but if you're using an older version, then this won't apply and you would then need to tell us what version of PS and what browser you are using). Here is the CS2 possibility:

I've circled the key area. If you are using the Centralized Cache file, and you then copy the images somewhere else, then tagging will usually go along with it and it will still have the tag in the new location. But if you've moved it to another computer, then it won't. If you have the 2nd option checked, then it saves the info in the folder where the photo was, and if you copy the photo elsewhere, then it is possible for the information to be lost. But not always. Keep in mind also that the Centralized method has a file size limit, and when you fill the area, it may start getting rid of the older tagging information, etc. So these are a few things to check out. If you copy the files from outside of Photoshop, then often you do indeed lose the tags because the app doesn't know about the tag along cache in the folder.

Cheers,
Roger

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 09-23-2006, 05:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Nope -- just Photoshop CS Browser -- not CS2. Thanks for the good explanation -- and the clue that there's a tag file in the folder which is maintaining this information. I had wondered whether it set a bit in the jpeg file header or what...

Lynn

Old 09-24-2006, 06:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Aspiring Photographer

Member GG#: 50625

CatCynic is offline IP: 220.253.38.242

Actually, no, there isn't a tag file in the folder. I am not certain about CS, but in CS2 there are two ways to operate (RFS showed you the settings).

One way uses a separate XMP file for every photo - IMG_0001.CR2 will have IMG_0001.XMP to hold its tag, label, RAW settings, and so forth. This is the easy option, and all you do is copy the XMP file with the CR2 and you are set. If you copy the images using the browser it will automatically take the XMPs too.

The other way uses a single database file stored somewhere centrally for every image on the machine (not one file per folder), and I don't know how you can get it to copy the info out of there for use on another machine - there may be an EXPORT command to do it.

I always use the XMP method, because I understand it! It even means I can copy the XMPs onto backup media together with the RAWs.
  View Public Profile Find More Posts by CatCynic

apparently...Re: Photoshop CS Browser and vanishing flags!
Old 09-25-2006, 05:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Apparently CS uses a central database somewhere, because there is no update to the file headers and there are no additional files stored in the image folders.

I'm going to guess that I moved the files or maybe the folder containing the flagged images -- I don't remember doing this but it's certainly possible. And I've proved that CS loses the tags when the file structure is changed.

Thanks all for the ideas and information!

Lynn