Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
What's up with this laptop ? help
Old 09-10-2006, 08:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 50518
Comments: 1
My Mood:

That_Look_Photo is offline IP: 68.200.100.150

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

every time I turn on my laptop I get one of my images on my screen. It takes up the whole screen with noway to turn it off. I still have the start button and all that stuff but I can't get this picture to stop opening when I turn on my laptop. It is running xp .
Any ideas ?
Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photo Visit That_Look_Photo's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photo

Re: What's up with this laptop ? help
Old 09-10-2006, 08:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 24.0.6.170

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Look_Photo
every time I turn on my laptop I get one of my images on my screen. It takes up the whole screen with noway to turn it off. I still have the start button and all that stuff but I can't get this picture to stop opening when I turn on my laptop. It is running xp .
Any ideas ?
Mike
That's called wallpaper. Once you are booted up, just right click on an empty part of the screen and when the gray menu pops up, select Properties. Then a gray box with tabs will appear. Select "Desktop" (2nd tab). You may now select any image from the list and it will replace the "wallpaper" or desktop background photo. Click on Apply and the new item will be your desktop. You can experiment with the other controls. For example, if the photo is distored, you can use tile or stretch, or center from Position drop down. You can also click Browse to look for any photo you want.

Another thing you can do, is to find any photo you want for your desktop that you can see in your browser, and then right click on it and choose "set as background". This assumes the right click menu has not been disabled.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 09-11-2006, 04:52 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

I wish it was that easy. The picture covers all the icons on the desk top. So it should not be the wallpaper right ? I did a restore and it said it will not do a restore. I hope that it is not a virus.

Mike
  View Public Profile Send a private message to That_Look_Photo Visit That_Look_Photo's homepage! Find More Posts by That_Look_Photo

Old 09-11-2006, 06:38 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 35341
Comments: 0
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to hicspix

hicspix is offline IP: 64.12.117.11

Quote:
I wish it was that easy. The picture covers all the icons on the desk top. So it should not be the wallpaper right ? I did a restore and it said it will not do a restore. I hope that it is not a virus.
MIght be that your laptop's monitor screen resolution somehow got set to to a smaller dimension than it needs to be (right click and see what that's set to and, if something like 800x600 set it to a higher figure).

You also might try a right click and select Arrange Icons and set it to Auto Arrange (they might have somehow got moved off the viewable area).

Good luck with it --- hope it's something like that (although it could be a number of other reasons ... but it doesn't sound viral).

Dave

Old 09-11-2006, 10:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 24.0.6.170

Quote:
Mike
I assume you can still see the taskbar since you say you have the start button. IN that case, right click on the taskbar and select "Task Manager". When it comes up, see what applications are running in the Applications tab. It could be that you have some sort of viewer open. Ideally after a fresh reboot, nothing should show up in the Applications tab. If something is there, click on it and then press the End Task button and see if that does anything.

You can also try booting in the Safe mode and see if the photo is then gone. You'll need to check your user guide for how to get into the safe mode for your laptop since its different for different computers.

Are you able to right click on the photograph and if so, what options show up?
Can you send a screen shot of what shows up? To do this, press Print Screen key and then paste it into a new file in Photoshop.

Beyond that, I can't give you much more to try.

You can also find out what is loading at bootup by clicking Start, then Run, and typing in "MSCONFIG" and then look at the startup tab. But then you'll need to figure out which item may be the culprit.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith

Old 09-11-2006, 04:14 PM
c_canade'
This message has been deleted by c_canade'.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 54374
Send a message via Yahoo to racket4life

racket4life is offline IP: 24.183.203.71

Chase hit it on the head....I just did that to my old one and am building my new one now....I like the hammer idea...and once i transfer all my media and software to my new one here....the hammer and Sam Adams is coming out.....
  View Public Profile Send a private message to racket4life Visit racket4life's homepage! Find More Posts by racket4life

Old 09-11-2006, 08:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

My Mood:

Because I am anel about backing up everything. I had no problem doing a fresh install and everything is back to normal. I had a friend of mine take a look at it and he was perplexed. Nothing lost and the laptop is like new again.

You just have to love microsoft...

Mike

Old 09-11-2006, 10:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 40667
My Mood:

Wrlss911Pro is offline IP: 68.155.150.164

Quote:

Ah, the dreaded Microsoft anomoly.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Wrlss911Pro Find More Posts by Wrlss911Pro

Old 09-12-2006, 08:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Model

Member GG#: 41923

glam_chic is offline IP: 68.37.96.160

Quote:
Because I am anel about backing up everything. I had no problem doing a fresh install and everything is back to normal. I had a friend of mine take a look at it and he was perplexed. Nothing lost and the laptop is like new again.

Mike
Haha, when I was working for Dell, the motto of most of the employees was that if you couldnt fix it or didnt know how to fix it, just reinstall the OS. That solves pretty much everything. You are just lucky that you back everything up

Old 09-12-2006, 08:36 AM
c_canade'
This message has been deleted by c_canade'.