Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Re: Large format question... Copal?
Old 09-05-2006, 03:08 PM   #21 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

Member GG#: 41173
Comments: 1
Send a message via AIM to SamBeasley Send a message via Yahoo to SamBeasley

SamBeasley is offline IP: 66.21.214.25

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Wow, an 8x10? Very cool. I saw up to an 11x14 for sale on eBay when I was bidding on the 4x5, but I figured I better start out small first.

By the way, I see that was your first post, so welcome to the jungle.

Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denyse
All of this reminds me of the equipment left to me by my father. It is an 8x10 Kodak Studio camera, with a 105mm Voightlander and Son's lens. I have used it for years, for in studio portraits.
http://sambeasley.tumblr.com
http://www.lalluredesmots.com
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 09-05-2006, 03:14 PM   #22 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

SamBeasley is offline IP: 66.21.214.25

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hey Barry, glad I could motivate you to figure out how to post images, as I'm always up for some good b&w landscape shots! Did you use a slow shutter for these, btw? One thing I'm noticing is that with a lot of LF work you end up using fairly slow shutter speeds to get enough depth of field. Of course, maybe with a portrait or something like that the shallow DOF might be fun to play with.

Thanks!

Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryTreleaven
The good thing about this post is that I wanted to reply so much that I finally got over the hurdle of posting a image.
Sam the great things about LFis the quality of image and the subsequent printed image so I will post 3 of my Latest Mono shots.
good luck although to me the guys who work the hardest in their craft have all the luck!
  View Public Profile Send a private message to SamBeasley Visit SamBeasley's homepage! Find More Posts by SamBeasley

Old 09-05-2006, 05:16 PM   #23 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 36639
Comments: 0
Send a message via Skype™ to BarryTreleaven

BarryTreleaven is offline IP: 202.6.138.34

Yes most large format exposures are longer exposure the one with the gums and watercourse is 5 minutes with a red filter 25a the choice of lenses are endless and the average exposure would be 5sec I suppose,my results were hit and miss until Iwas introduced to BTZS which stands for Beyond The Zone System a fellow LFphotographer has the system down pat and basically using densitomitory creates 5 film curves per film that is then places in a neat little program called Expodev and is suited for a palm pilot mine is a 1oo you then meter in EV values Lo and High this is entered in to the palm along with filter values it computes exposure time ,subject brightness range,for example yesterday Itook 1 shot with the following setup
film foma,Lo ev10,High ev14.9,subject brightness range9.9,filter factor 2,exposure f32 6.7sec developer rodinal 1:90@20c dev time 3minand 44sec.
so the callibration is a pain but when you get negs that print with afull range of tones at gd2 its a unbelievable system.
So for me film is not dead and in fact has become a little niche market and when you get comments like Ican feel the water etc. upon viewing the finished print its all worth while.
Abit long winded but Ihope that Ihave explained BTZS for you do aweb search and you will read the info much better than I can explain it.
The other area which changed my printing makedly is the rated film speed manufacterers rate their product eg:I used to rate ilford fp4+at 125 the real speed upon densitomitery checked it out is closer to 64,tmax 100 is closer to 80 and Iwas wondering why my metering was off and thin negs the norm upon changing the film speed I generally print gd2 9-10 sec range with rich blacks and pure whites in the rande of tones.
regards
Barry Treleaven
  View Public Profile Send a private message to BarryTreleaven Visit BarryTreleaven's homepage! Find More Posts by BarryTreleaven

Old 09-06-2006, 08:30 PM   #24 (permalink)
Bawdy Little Monkey

SamBeasley is offline IP: 72.155.208.97

Hey Barry,

Does that system (Beyond the Zone System) come from the book of the same name? I actually have that book, which deals a lot with sensitometry and all that, but I haven't read much of it yet. I've been using just basic Zone System principles, but I know there's a lot more to the System than I've delved into yet. I do check out exposure indices with whatever developer I'm testing with, and you're right, the negs are so much better when you find out the true ISO for your given developer.

Thanks Barry!

Sam

Old 09-06-2006, 09:48 PM   #25 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 39548
Comments: 15

Olli is offline IP: 70.153.55.116

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBeasley
Hey Olli, I checked out that forum, and looks like lots of good info there. Thanks! And that Gowlandflex looks fun to play with. Are those fixed lenses, or changeable?
The two lenses are identical, top for viewing, bottom for film. They are changable, but not like an SLR. Each lens in installed in a lens board, which can be removed.
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Olli Visit Olli's homepage! Find More Posts by Olli