Lens Diaries Go Now
Glamour, Beauty, Nude, Models, Photographers

*    |  Register  

Go Back   Garage Glamour™ > Garage Glamour™ Main Forums > Tech Talk Forum

Tech Talk Forum Photography & Technical Related Only!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Urgent help with external flash
Old 08-26-2006, 07:33 AM   #1 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 47251
Comments: 0
My Mood:

Zakd is offline IP: 195.250.110.125

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Hi,

I have just bought a Metz Flash 54 MZ 4zi with implemeted adapter 3201 for Canon EOS350D.

The problem is that is want flash every time. I try an Auto mode, TTL mode(I did not find E-TTL mode...... Well it flash once (the flash get ready to flash with the green light) and after that just it do not make green light for flash. Then sudenly after some time (5min or even 10) just get green light and flash corectly.

Is it some mulphunction or I do not know how to adjusted it for using.

Please I need reply as soon as possible as I have to do some shooting as soon as managed to solve this problem....

Thanks
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Zakd Find More Posts by Zakd

Re: Urgent help with external flash
Old 08-26-2006, 08:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Photographer

Member GG#: 36482
Comments: 2

lsc1 is offline IP: 74.230.238.245

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!

Zakd,

Only 2 things I know would cause that problem, batteries and a bad flash. Even if you put fresh batteries from the store in the flash, replace them with another full set of fresh batteries and try again. Sometimes you can get a bad battery from even a fresh pack at the store. With one bad battery among the 4, the flash won't work right. If you sure it's not batteries after this, I would return the flash.

Best of luck,
LCS
  View Public Profile Send a private message to lsc1 Find More Posts by lsc1

Old 08-26-2006, 08:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Founder Garage Glamour™

Member GG#: 1
Comments: 10
My Mood:
Send a message via AIM to rolandogomez

rolandogomez is offline IP: 67.11.199.39

Canon's are notorious for sync issues, even with pocket wizards, sync cords, etc., when the flash is not a Canon flash. Part of the problem is they use reverse polarity. Back in the days when I used Dyna-Lite powerpacks, any attendee to my workshop with a Canon would often find taking the "household" plug-type sync cord (where it plugged into the Dyna-Lite pack), and reverse it to make it work with their Canon cameras.

I've seen it in almost 100 workshops, even issues with Pocket Wizards not always syncing. However, with that said, have the dealer that sold it to you check it out. Just my two centavos worth, thanks, rg sends!
Photographer & Author author of five photography books. My newest book is Socially Smart: Twitter Plus Facebook, Marketing Multipliers And Brand Boosters Click here for My Tweet Workshop Information and the Photo Blog
  View Public Profile Send a private message to rolandogomez Visit rolandogomez's homepage! Find More Posts by rolandogomez

Old 08-26-2006, 10:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 47251
My Mood:

Zakd is offline IP: 195.250.110.125

Thanks very much for reply.
I have right away put a second packing of batteries to charge. Hope it is batteries.
I remember when I put the first packing for charging 1 of 4 was charged after leless then 1 hour and the others after 3.5hours....
Hope for this...
Thanks....
  View Public Profile Send a private message to Zakd Find More Posts by Zakd

Old 08-26-2006, 11:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

Member GG#: 39367

bruggemj is offline IP: 71.87.169.18

Something I have noticed on my Rebel xT is that when I would put on an aftermarket flash I would have to follow these steps...

Mount the flash
Turn on the camera
Turn on the flash

In my frustration I would inadvertantly either take it off with the camera turned on or with the flash turned on. If I didn't follow these it wouldn't fire.

I use a Metz 60 CT-4 handle mount flash with my Canon with no problems. I bought mine used on ebay at less than a quarter of the new price. I did have to change battery pack but no sync problems.

I snyc my Alien Bee with a Micro-sync radio slave. Again, no problems.

Hope this helps, good luck

Joe
  View Public Profile Send a private message to bruggemj Visit bruggemj's homepage! Find More Posts by bruggemj

Old 08-26-2006, 10:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Free Member

Member GG#: 35872
Comments: 41

R_Fredrick_Smith is offline IP: 24.0.6.170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakd
Hi,
I have just bought a Metz Flash 54 MZ 4zi with implemeted adapter 3201 for Canon EOS350D.
The problem is that is want flash every time. I try an Auto mode, TTL mode(I did not find E-TTL mode...... Well it flash once (the flash get ready to flash with the green light) and after that just it do not make green light for flash. Then sudenly after some time (5min or even 10) just get green light and flash corectly.
Is it some mulphunction or I do not know how to adjusted it for using.
Please I need reply as soon as possible as I have to do some shooting as soon as managed to solve this problem....
Thanks
Once you have a new set of batteries in the unit, just test it without mounting it to the camera. There is a test fire button on the flash, so when you press it, the flash will fire. Then wait for the green light to come back. With brand new batteries it should come back in less than 10 seconds. If it takes longer than that, then it is more likely a bad flash.

Keep in mind that the camera you have is an E-TTL type camera and TTL type flashes are not going to work very well in any kind of automatic mode. Once you have confirmed that the flash is good, then try a simple test of putting the camera in totally manual mode and with shutter speed of 1/125th and use the guide number of the flash to set up a test at the proper fstop and then fire the camera. You should get a reasonable exposure and should be able to take another photo every 5 to 10 seconds for at least 50 to 100 shots.

Cheers,
rfs

"The map is not the Territory"
  View Public Profile Send a private message to R_Fredrick_Smith Visit R_Fredrick_Smith's homepage! Find More Posts by R_Fredrick_Smith